Motorola Xoom featured in ad packed with Apple references

Comments

• Reply 121 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post

I didn't watch the superbowl and didn't see the ad; i've only read the pre and post game hype about the ad, and here is my take. The subject of the original 1984 ad, the Macintosh, was truly a revolutionary product in its user interface. It changed how everyone (command line unix fans excepted) interacts with a computer. It was a huge paradigm shift that is now taken largely for granted. It is ironic that Moto used 1984 as the basis for their jab at Apple, given that their product is a "me too" rather than a paradigm shift. Apple could have used the same 1984 ad to launch the original ipods, the iphone, and the ipad - each of those were significant changes in products that have become the paradigm for that class of product. It doesn't matter if the moto pad is excellent or not. Its not a paradigm shift and its not going to change the market. In that sense, I think Moto's use of 1984 is misguided.

I see you don't post often, but what you post you post well, so keep on posting the posts !

Seriously though, well put, its obvious to most, but not the Apple Haters, sigh ...
  • Reply 122 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hmmmm... more meanderings from a sociopath...

Lol ! Drunk with the love of android I bet.
  • Reply 123 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Hi, I'm a Mac

And I'm a PC

Do you want me to continue?

Oh, I thought it was only Gates and Ballmer that didn't get the Apple Ad campaign (and maybe the people in the "I'm a PC" ads, purportedly a variety of ordinary computer users who were given those ludicrous lines to say). Still, I am surprised you admit to totally missing the whole story line...

Hello, I'm a Mac.

And I'm a PC.

Exactly. Two actors playing two anthropomorphized fictional characters. Justin and John were pretending to be the computers. Not the users. Their names were even "Mac" and "PC", how obvious. Users can simply choose the integrated tool that has it all together, or the one with the identity problem that struggles to cope with simple things without some degree of frustration.

It really was quite obvious -- John struggled to carry out various tasks without shutting down, he got new OS updates; Justin would say he could do some serious work, too; Justin could communicate easily with the pretty girl who said she was a camera or a printer, without needing a phrase book. Do you want me to continue?

If you are identifying with a machine, that's pretty sad -- it says more about you than what Apple thinks of the PC customer base. I'm a Mac user, and I find a lot of things in life frustrating -- I don't want to add to that by choosing a challenged computer if I can help it.

Apparently the ads did their job. It was a long running campaign and all that time the physical Apple Stores were seeing record numbers of visitors and making record sales quarter after quarter (they are about the highest earning stores per square foot in the world). And Apple claims at least half of all Mac sales go to new users.

I think most people got the point of the Apple ads: "PC" was handicapped in many fundamental ways, and that "Mac" could do the same things more smoothly. Why didn't you get it? Did MS tell you what to think when they misinterpreted it and made their extremely odd version with "ordinary" people saying "I'm a PC"? What was that all about?
  • Reply 124 of 223
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    This ad is pure, unadulterated rubbish. So, if everyone using Apple stuff are slaves, then Motorola creating a me-too tablet means they are also joining the brainwashed masses, and anyone using said me-too tablet is nothing but another slave.

What garbage. One day I will figure out how to get paid millions for churning out creative but utterly misguided ads for even more misguided clients.

Also, the ad doesn't even show much of anything you could do with the tablet that would actually "free" you. Books? Maps? Pinch-and-Zoom? Finger-drawing? Um, yeah, real "breakthrough" and "alternative".

The biggest irony is the real downtrodden nobodies are all those using Android junkblets.
  • Reply 125 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

I enjoyed the commercial, too, but 2011 won't be like 1984 ... .

Your post got me thinking, the Motorola advert would have been so much better if they'd used 2012. They could have spun it into the end of the world for Apple and the rise of the Xoom. But then they would have had to back it up with a device that was actually elegant and powerful enough to cause the end of the world. Too bad too, that would have been a fun and memorable commercial.
  • Reply 126 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mplaisance View Post

Re post from Poke:

People forget the circumstances of the 1984 commercial. IBM moved into the personal computer market in 1981 in response to the success of the Apple II and Commadore PET. Microsoft produced DOS the same year but was an insignificant player at the time. Just 3 years after IBM managed to produce it's first affordable personal computer, Apple changed the game completely with the Mac. IBM was at that time a stodgy, monolithic and absolutely gigantic business-oriented mainframe company making moves to take over the fledgling personal computer market. The personal computer movement had been associated with 70s counterculture and IBM was as far from it as you can get. The ad spoke to people. Compare with the Motorola ad where they're advertising an also-ran product by speaking to the tiny minority if people who think Apple's curation of the App Store is an insult to freedom and doing so by portraying iPod owners, who probably make up 99% of their potential buyers, as mindless sheep. Anyone who actually understands the reference should be offended.

QFT

Quote:

We'll have to see how their take works, but for that we need reviews up.

I'm willing to err on the side of "this looks possibly promising but it's been a whole gawddammned year since the iPad and still nobody has come up with anything but insanely-hyped non-competitors". The Xoom seems to follow that trend.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

Motorola Xoom = late to the party. The Apple iPad = already in the pool...with the app store!

Indeed. I would welcome a decent tablet competitor but this... my gut tells me... no dice.
  • Reply 127 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

The most stupid ad I have ever seen. I don't own a TV and I don't watch sports, so events like Superbowl are non-event in my life.

And for spending millions on a piece of shit like this ad, Motorola marketing dept, needs to be dismantled. These guys, absolutely have no clue of what they are doing. I can't believe what I just saw.

Agreed. It's just nonsense. It's amazing how companies are so good at just flushing money right down the toilet. BTW I own a TV and watch sports, it makes no difference, I'd rather be kicked in the groin by [insert famous sportsperson here] than watch this ad again.
  • Reply 128 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Xoom is, according to an Engadget report, expected to become available February 24, in a CDMA/EVDO 3G-only version sold by Verizon for $800. The unit will be accompanied by optional data plans that start at $20... but an ad from BestBuy also notes that "to activate WiFi functionality on this device, a minimum of 1 month data subscription is required." Unlike the iPad, there are no cheaper WiFi-only versions of the Xoom.

Okay, for a while I thought the Xoom had a chance but then I read this. See above in bold. Motorola has totally no clue how to make a product that can actually:

(a) stand on it's own feet without heavily sucking on a telco's tit

(b) be sold internationally

The Xoom is DOA compared to the iPad 2.

Motorola obviously had zero confidence of creating a decent tablet so they are just coming out with some hyped up whatever so that they can register at least some profit - from the telco - on their books .

Modern businesses are becoming so disjointed from the product and the users of the product that they are becoming so lost as to how to turn a decent dime.

800 bucks. I did not believe Steve when he said competitors could not match them in price. I mean, this is Apple we're talking about, supposedly always overpriced. Turns out he was right.

$800. Unbelievable.
  • Reply 129 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

You apparently missed this article:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...diagnoses.html

Hey not fair, you can't use logic and facts against fandroids, they are always right.
  • Reply 130 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post

The Apple ad didn't dislodge IBM PC in the marketplace, did it?

Same thing will happen to Xoom. It will fail to dislodge iPad.

These copycats will have to learn to innovate by not taking a page off Apple's book.

i just hope the ad agency didn't use an ipad and overlay android features lol
  • Reply 131 of 223
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

The iPad is slow,

Compared to what?

Quote:

doesn't play flash

That's a FEATURE.

It also doesn't run Java applets, but I don't see many people complaining...

If you haven't got the memo, it's 02 2011 and still no device plays Flash well, without major battery drain and slowing down scrolling / page viewing.

Quote:

and you're limited to buying your programs from Big Brother via the App store.

A feature again.

It creates a healthy marketplace for us developers, it mitigates the effects of rampant piracy by making application buying and installation safe, easy and one-stop, and it cuts off a lot of crap.

Quote:

I don't think the iPad is a slam-dunk by any means.

Compared to what? Right now, it's not only slam-dunk, it *IS* the tablet market.
  • Reply 132 of 223
    Quote:

Things either have to be Simple the apple way, or they're too complicated. Right? Because no one but android geeks ever use Tabs right? and there's absolutely no reason you'd want your notifications to be handled in a way that you get useful information without it taking over the main part of your screen, right? And having true app switching is just too complicated. I mean.. you tap a button on iOS, and with honeycomb you have to... tap a button.

Have you even looked at the honeycomb previews? At all? No, I'm not talking about an apple sites commentary, I'm talking about the official videos or even the articles on a site like engadget.

And if you try defending apple's notification system, don't. Even the biggest apple fans know that it sucks.

The things I mentioned are some of the BEST aspects of computers without a lot of the bloat. The pop up notifications are extreemly useful. Heck, even and andriod-unfriendly gizmodo mentioned how much better the music controls from the notification bar were compared to apple's multi-tasking approach.

Just because it's taking some features from the desktop doesn't mean it's trying to be exactly like a desktop. That's something apple fan's won't understand. I promise you, if steve jobs released the SAME exact tabbed browsing idea this site would be praising it. Instead they write it off as "too complicated"

This type of device will allow you to do most of what you'd need a netbook/laptop to accomplish without all the crap you don't need., at least that's its aim. you can't say the same about an ipad. I've tried.

Simplify does not mean "cut everything out until you could do it all on a phone, but you like the bigger form factor"

Don't you hate it when someone speaks for you.

I love Apple's notification systems, have no problems at all.

Please don't speak on my behalf.
  • Reply 133 of 223
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

The rumors are, backed by a leaked Best Buy ad, that the Xoom is actually going to be more expensive than an iPad? Who are they kidding? Do they have delusions of grandeur? They'll be laughed out of the market...

You would seriously have to be someone of my age or better to remember the 1984 Apple ad and make the connection. Most people won't. It was a lame commercial.

But, there ARE Millions your / my age, who did recognize the ad, and thought it was an Apple ad ? MILLIONS

Oh, my son who is 25 is a big Mac head and he thought it was a take on the 1984 ad, and until he realized it wasn't, he thought it was a great ad ? did I say Millions?

Skip
  • Reply 134 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Okay, for a while I thought the Xoom had a chance but then I read this. See above in bold. Motorola has totally no clue how to make a product that can actually:

(a) stand on it's own feet without heavily sucking on a telco's tit

(b) be sold internationally

The Xoom is DOA compared to the iPad 2.

Motorola obviously had zero confidence of creating a decent tablet so they are just coming out with some hyped up whatever so that they can register at least some profit - from the telco - on their books .

Modern businesses are becoming so disjointed from the product and the users of the product that they are becoming so lost as to how to turn a decent dime.

800 bucks. I did not believe Steve when he said competitors could not match them in price. I mean, this is Apple we're talking about, supposedly always overpriced. Turns out he was right.

$800. Unbelievable.

I could not believe it either, $800, and for what ? The off chance that you may get an update to honeycomb (what sort of crap name is that anyway for an OS) 3.1.

I saw an android phone today, tried to use it, could not figure it out. My 7 year old learnt the iPhone, iPod and iPad in minutes.

I'm a programmer, remember the concept called KISS ?

Just proves the android coders can't code if their lives depended on it.

Just read that motamouth had promised an OS update to one of their phones, but have now reneged and the poor bastards who paid for the plastic crap are stuck in limbo.

I think android should be renamed as limbo, very apt.

When will they ever learn, oh when will they ever learn ? (Acknowledgement to Peter, Paul & Mary).
  • Reply 135 of 223
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:

a+b=c =! a=b

I know hyperbole is a lost art, but let's use a little logic, ok?

There are more people than you would think with no technical background that are SICK about hearing about apple, and yet are still prime targets for smartphones/possibly tablets. This is because of the saturation iProducts have reached in popular culture. No, not literally "everyone" has an iDevice, but a lot of people do, and most people know several handfuls that do.

My argument doesn't contradict itself, you're just trying to split hairs to make a pun.

The same is applicable to andriod also, anything that is popular will be most common and then there will be people who want that as it's popular.

That's a wrong choice I would say people should choose what is more usable for them.
  • Reply 136 of 223
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 137 of 223
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So Apple users are attractive mindless drones? What?

Try saying something to the contrary to the Apple party line. You'll get swarmed. The group think and fanaticism has become ridiculous.

But is moto the one to do it? No. Android might have somewhat of a parity when it comes to app and depending but they don't have a decent media store. When it comes to videos like it or not, you're locked into Apple.
  • Reply 138 of 223
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I really hope Apple positions the iPad 2 as the "spec leader" among the iOS devices. Right now the iPhone has the most RAM while the iPod touch has the largest amount of storage.

You've completely missed the point of Apple's product strategy. It's about the user experience - not about the specs.
  • Reply 139 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'd bet you were not even born in 1984 or you were in diapers. I was around far longer than that. I remember that commercial, and I certainly remember the way things were in the 80's when IBM and Microsoft/DOS was the only game in town in terms of what was offered for the masses.

The problem with folks like you is that you try to pass off what Motorola is doing as something factual.

You're right in that you're not worth anywhere near a tangible effort in arguing with you. You can continue believing whatever you want in your little, pathetic bubble.

The actual reality is that back in the 80's, there was no choice. Today, there is choice everywhere. Motorola and other companies would kill to be in the exact same position that Apple is in now.

This commercial only says one thing. That everyone chose Apple because they provided the best choice for consumers, and no one except one person wanted that Xoom, and that he's such an anti-social, nerd/geek/techtard to even get the courage to approach a girl. Typical.

Exactly. Back in the 80s, people used IBM because that's what their employers chose for them. In the years that followed, it was Microsoft products that were thrust upon users, primarily by their employers. In contrast, Apple's products have been made popular by individual choice. Kind of a big deal.
  • Reply 140 of 223
    Quote:

-7 inches is easier to hold/manage than a 10 inch device. 10 is nice for browsing at your hour or at work, but it sucks if you're on the go.

There are two primary form factors: one that should fit comfortably in any pocket and another that should be large enough to comfortably read a book, watch a movie, take meeting notes, etc.

The iPhone is a perfect match for the first and the iPad a perfect match for the second.

Those Android phones with big screens are too large to fit in most pockets and uncomfortable to operate with one hand, making them a suboptimal choice for a primary smartphone device.

The 7 inch "tablets" are both too large to fit in a pocket and too small to provide a significant viewing advantage over more pocketable devices. Moreover, the 16:9 aspect ratio is a misguided choice given that movie watching is hardly the primary use of these devices.