Yankees vs. Red Sox (Part 2)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This weekend is another huge series in the AL East, as the Yankees and Red Sox play a four game series over Memorial Day weekend at Fenway. In total, they play 7 games against each other over 11 days!

The Yankees have won 12 out of their last 13 games, but Boston is still in first place by two games (and up by four in the all important loss column).

In the AL, it looks like 3 teams are going to win 100 games, and 2 are in the same division- very rare. Seattle and Oakland did it a few years ago, but it's very uncommon. Peter Gammons has a good article about this:

<a href="http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2002/0518/1383969.html"; target="_blank">http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2002/0518/1383969.html</a>;

Derek Lowe has been pitching unbelievably well and pitched 8 two hit, shutout innings yesterday in the victory against the White Sox. The team is even playing well when Grady Little isn't around!

So any predictions for this time around? Clemens is scheduled to pitch Friday, but somehow, I doubt he will. I know we went through this in the last thread, but I don't think he will pitch in Fenway. ( <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=001036"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=001036</a>; )

Should be a good series any way. Real baseball for a change.

I'm going to the game Saturday. I can't wait! I get to see Derek Lowe again, and every time I've seen Derek Lowe in person this year, he's pitched a no hitter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Come on, I know I'm not the only one interested in this.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Should be very exciting. Real baseball indeed.

Oh and BTW:

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: Dogcow ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 65
    That should give this thread some 'interesting' responses.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    [quote]Originally posted by Dogcow:

<strong>Should be very exciting. Real baseball indeed.

Oh and BTW:

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Problem is, they don't really. But then again, that'll just make this series even more fun. :cool:

p.s. I hope Manny doesn't need surgery on that finger. I just read this morning that it still might be necessary.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    When you grow up in New England, you are tought things about the Yankees at an early age.

Baby Voice: "Mommy", "Daddy", "Yankees evil", "Grandma"
  • Reply 6 of 65
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    I'm interested to see if T. Clark continues to hit (ok, starts to hit). He's shown a little flash of his former self lately. That should pick up a little of Manny's slack.

I think Clemens is going to have to pitch b/c of the injuries to Wells and El Duque. It should be fun to see who they bring up from AAA for the first game though! Knowing the Yankees, they'll find some Pedro clone sweeping the dugout...

Thoth
  • Reply 7 of 65
    masterzeusmasterzeus Posts: 111member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>That should give this thread some 'interesting' responses. </strong><hr></blockquote>

It might if that image actually linked to something. As of right now, that image is broken.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    spaceman_spiffspaceman_spiff Posts: 1,242member
    [quote]Originally posted by MasterZeus:

<strong>

It might if that image actually linked to something. As of right now, that image is broken.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Shows up fine for me.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    [quote]Originally posted by Thoth2:

<strong>I'm interested to see if T. Clark continues to hit (ok, starts to hit). He's shown a little flash of his former self lately. That should pick up a little of Manny's slack.

I think Clemens is going to have to pitch b/c of the injuries to Wells and El Duque. It should be fun to see who they bring up from AAA for the first game though! Knowing the Yankees, they'll find some Pedro clone sweeping the dugout...

Thoth</strong><hr></blockquote>

Pettitte's been down too but Lilly's given them a big lift so far.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    It says, and I quote:

[quote]Yankees Suck<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 11 of 65
    masterzeusmasterzeus Posts: 111member
    [quote]Originally posted by spaceman_spiff:

<strong>

Shows up fine for me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

My computer must be broken or something. Damn wintel PC. Unfortunately, not everyone can get jobs where we can use macs.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    calamar1calamar1 Posts: 20member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>This weekend is another huge series in the AL East, as the Yankees and Red Sox play a four game series over Memorial Day weekend at Fenway.

Should be a good series any way. Real baseball for a change.

I'm going to the game Saturday. I can't wait! I get to see Derek Lowe again, and every time I've seen Derek Lowe in person this year, he's pitched a no hitter. </strong><hr></blockquote>

What, you mean you didn't like the cavalcade of crappy teams parading through Fenway over the past month?

i think this will be the weekend that finally, belatedly earns the Sox some respect. The Yankee-loving media will probably cry about their missing pitchers, but nevertheless, if the Sox take 3 out of 4 again this weekend, then people will have to notice, seeing as how the Yanks are top-billed even when they play Tampa Bay.

i've got tickets for thursday and saturday, and i've got my Yankees Suck shirt washed (my roommate has a Jeter Swallows shirt). w00t!
  • Reply 13 of 65
    [quote]Originally posted by calamar1:

<strong>

i've got tickets for thursday and saturday...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh man! You guys got me so green with envy.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    yawn... red sox fans seem to be the only ones who really get excited about the rivalry anymore. quite sad.

whoever loses excuses will be made. the series means shit. the red sox have won many series against the Yankees. they never pull through in the end. live with it. your team is cursed forever.

I hope the Yankees get swept to get your ****ing hopes up at all-time levels just so that they can drop back down to hell when the Red Sox choke in October
  • Reply 15 of 65
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    I agree with applenut
  • Reply 16 of 65
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>yawn... red sox fans seem to be the only ones who really get excited about the rivalry anymore. quite sad.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You are bizarre. I know plenty of Yankee fans who are pumped about this series. (Where I live is pretty much the dividing line between Red Sox country and Yankee country.) A Yankee fan at work was going on for about 10 minutes the day before yesterday. I'm psyched too but I was trying to get my butt out the door. He kept going on about Soriano and Pedro and that damn playoff game in '78... And you can bet there'll be plenty of Yankee fans at Fenway this weekend. There always are.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    Gee applenut, I seem to remember you getting excited about a game you went to at Fenway where there was nearly a perfect game. You weren't 'yawning' over the rivalry then.

Plus, it sounds to me that you NY fans are a little depressed that no matter how much your team has won this year, they still haven't caught the Red Sox. Plus, you can't stand that your team lost the World Series last year and that your team is no longer the best.

Plus, swearing and name calling? Who's the one that is 'sad', dude?
  • Reply 18 of 65
    patmcfar8patmcfar8 Posts: 84member
    I'll disagree. For the record I'm an M's fan. And also for the record I think that the Yankees have become everything that is wrong with baseball. Money, money and more money. Unless you think that just buying the best players that money can buy and beating teams that can't compete, is the spirit of baseball. Um, go Yankees.

The Sox are probably better this year then any time in recent memory. And yes, I think they might beat the Yankees this year... finally. Of course that's what I thought about the M's last year and the Yankees still beat 'em. Bastards!

I still think the Yanks will go down this year... Then you'll see Steinbrener (sp?) really open up his wallet.

Watching the Diamondbacks beat them last year in game 7 was so freakin' sweet!
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Dude, just so you know, highest payrolls in the AL go in this order:

1.) New York Yankees

2.) Seattle Mariners

3.) Boston Red Sox
  • Reply 20 of 65
    patmcfar8patmcfar8 Posts: 84member
    Yup, and when you break down each player's salary this year they rank 8th overall. A quick Google search found this:

<a href="http://www.krem.com/sports/mariners/krem2_sports_m'ssalaries.3d0645f4.html"; target="_blank">linky, linky</a>

Man, is Ichiro underpaid!

Anywho, here's another <a href="http://www.yanks-suck.com/"; target="_blank">site</a> that came up in the search. I don't have time to check it out now, but I've bookmarked it.

Plain and simple fact is that the Yanks spend the most money. I REALLY think that the MLB needs a salary cap. Do ya think that George would go for that?