Apple's Verizon iPhone 4 has improved antenna, integrated GPS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    WHAT are the four different sections? Can somebody eg. DED put up a diagram depicting which section does what?
  • Reply 22 of 53
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

Well anyone wanting GPS in the wifi only iPad2 can pretty much say goodbye to that desire.

Well, Apple may still do it... Looks unlikely though.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

wow... some people up in here need to get laid...

sad...

We all need to get laid...
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

WHAT are the four different sections? Can somebody eg. DED put up a diagram depicting which section does what?

From Wikipedia.

The GSM iPhone has two antenna slits, one at the lower left and one at the top that divide the band into two antenna sections.

The left section of the band serves as the Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and GPS antenna, and the right and lower sections of the band act as the antenna for GSM and UMTS connectivity.

The CDMA iPhone has four antenna slits. Two at the top (on the left and right) and two at the bottom that divide the metal band into four different segments.

The top portion of the band (divided by the top left and right slits) is for connecting to the CDMA network. The left portion of the metal band is for Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and GPS just like the GSM version. The right side is not an antenna, but serves to cosmetically mirror the left side and also to create a similar look to the GSM version of the phone.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The two bottom sections are CDMA. One section on top is for WiFi. The other handles the other miscellaneous services (GPS, Bluetooth).

Apple showed of the sectional functionality when they announced the iPhone 4 last year. One of the slides in their presentation clearly showed which services were mapped to which section.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

wow... some people up in here need to get laid...

sad...

Too bad there isn't an App for that.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Lets hope that is not the 'case'.

CDMA2000 requires two frequencies whereas GSM uses three. Antenna design is directly related to the frequencies utilized and since they are different for the AT&T and Verizon systems I see no possible way they could keep the Verizon antenna design for AT&T and continue to get reception that is - I know there are places where people have reception issues with AT&T already - that is not what I am talking about here (sorry to step on potential cute comments folks).

Disclaimer: Just cause I see no way to do it doesn't mean it cannot be done. That being said this would truly be a cool trick if they could make one design work for both.

Antennas are very frequency dependent. Half wave, quarter wave, eighth wave, etc. You can work around that to a certain extent by electronically tuning the antenna, but that only optimizes it by so much. The more bands you must cover, the less efficient it becomes. A world phone is a very difficult thing to do right, and is usually larger, and sucks more from the battery.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

So the original design was flawed after all.

Great cover up Apple/ way to go Ireland- thank you.

Thank yous are always welcome to all that have been proven correct after being attacked and labeled trolls.

What exactly are you talking about?
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Hmmm. It must depend on where you are in the world. I'm pretty sure the carriers in my country use different frequencies for CDMA and 3G. There are a few different ones for 3G and I think CDMA is all on the one frequency here.

The iPhone site lists 800 and 1900 MHz for CDMA and a bunch for 3G. 800MHz is the only CDMA one not listed under 3G as well.

Maybe they can get better CDMA reception if they tweak the antenna for two frequencies (800/1900MHz) rather than 6 (800, 850, 900, 1800, 1900, 2100 MHz)

Confusing stuff

*face palm*

There is no difference between 800 and 850. It is just a matter of how specific they are with the naming. Verizons 800 is in the 850 sub band.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:

So the original design was flawed after all.

Great cover up Apple/ way to go Ireland- thank you.

Thank yous are always welcome to all that have been proven correct after being attacked and labeled trolls.

please tell me you're getting paid to troll, it is way to pathetic otherwise..
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Hey AI (or whomever is responsible for the chipset photos), can you place a reference object next to these photos? It's hard to tell how big/small they are. Being geeks, it's nice to know such things.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

please tell me you're getting paid to troll, it is way to pathetic otherwise..

No payments , nothing pathetic. Did you read the title of the thread. Obviously not- AI calls it an "improved antenna". Can't you please write sometghing pertaining to the thread?
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:

No payments , nothing pathetic. Did you read the title of the thread. Obviously not- AI calls it an "improved antenna". Can't you please write sometghing pertaining to the thread?

sure, I'll give it another shot.. you're a moron!

now go cry to the mods, again
  • Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Do we know the discrete chip is also absent from the iPad 2 or just the Verizon iPhone?

Or the iPhone 5 for that matter. Too bad for Broadcom...
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

When was this? He was the one that kept saying it was a design flaw. That there woul w a massive recall. Then he said it would be change after they stopped the Bumper giveaway or tubelike offer free bumpers forever. None of that happened.

As many intelligent people on this board tried pointing out, apparently upon deaf ears, Apple changed the antenna design with each iPhone and that a CDMA phone needs an inherently different antenna design than GSM.

So what exactly did Ireland not get completely wrong or make so general that it was guarantee to occur?

Well excuse the frack outta me!

I was pointing out that Ireland always stated that they would change the antenna design before the next generation and they did. He could care less what the reasons were, and would highly recommend that you tone down your attitude about 60 decibels.

If you knew anything at all about my online relationship with Ireland, you would have known that my post was about as tongue in check as it gets.

It would appear that a sense of humor, as many intelligent people on this board tried pointing out, apparently falls on deaf ears.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    The antenna redesign was due to Verizon antenna diversity specs. Even with this dual antenna design the Verizon iPhone still suffer from the same signal strength drop as the AT&T iPhone. AnandTech discussed this weeks ago.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Lets hope that is not the 'case'.

CDMA2000 requires two frequencies whereas GSM uses three. Antenna design is directly related to the frequencies utilized and since they are different for the AT&T and Verizon systems I see no possible way they could keep the Verizon antenna design for AT&T and continue to get reception that is - I know there are places where people have reception issues with AT&T already - that is not what I am talking about here (sorry to step on potential cute comments folks).

Disclaimer: Just cause I see no way to do it doesn't mean it cannot be done. That being said this would truly be a cool trick if they could make one design work for both.

Anand at anandtech.com actually has the real reasons for the design: Verizon requires diversity antennas.

While at this time there is no update with real usage, he did the same test for signal attenuation and it still has it, just like the GSM version.

Quote:

As you can see from the pictures below, the good ol' death grip still attenuates signal strength on Verizon. Held normally I was getting a reading of -65 dBm on the Verizon iPhone, but in full on death grip the signal strength dropped to -83 dBm. That's in line with what we've seen on AT&T.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4125/u...4-announcement
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Well excuse the frack outta me!

I was pointing out that Ireland always stated that they would change the antenna design before the next generation and they did. He could care less what the reasons were, and would highly recommend that you tone down your attitude about 60 decibels.

If you knew anything at all about my online relationship with Ireland, you would have known that my post was about as tongue in check as it gets.

It would appear that a sense of humor, as many intelligent people on this board tried pointing out, apparently falls on deaf ears.

Well, I predict that iPhone 5 will be different from iPhone 4!
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The two bottom sections are CDMA. One section on top is for WiFi. The other handles the other miscellaneous services (GPS, Bluetooth).

Apple showed of the sectional functionality when they announced the iPhone 4 last year. One of the slides in their presentation clearly showed which services were mapped to which section.

What two bottom sections? The CDMA2000 does have 4 antenna segments two "u" shaped at top and bottom and two straight sections - one on each side.

AT&T has 4 frequencies each for UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA and GSM/EDGE. Verizon model has two frequencies for EV-DO Rev A. Both use three frequencies for WiFi, Bluetooth and A-GPS.

See Anadtech or iFixit for various numbers.

IHTH.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, I predict that iPhone 5 will be different from iPhone 4!

The Verizon iPhone 4 uses a different logic board from the GSM iPhone 4? that must mean the logic board in the GSM iPhone 4 is a design flaw.

The Verizon iPhone 4 uses a different battery from the GSM iPhone 4? that must mean the battery in the GSM iPhone 4 is a design flaw.

The Verizon iPhone 4 uses a different baseband processor from the GSM iPhone 4? that must mean the baseband processor in the GSM iPhone 4 is a design flaw.

The Verizon iPhone 4 uses a different A4 model number from the GSM iPhone 4? that must mean the A4 in the GSM iPhone 4 is a design flaw.

The Verizon iPhone 4 doesn?t have a SIM card slot? that must mean the SIM card in the GSM iPhone 4 is a design flaw.