Inside Steve Jobs' abandoned Jackling mansion (photos)

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 210
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLuvr View Post

Posting to an old thread when there is a new thread for the story, really?
  • Reply 202 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Another instant expert emerges.

BTW, there's no such thing as the "National Registry."

"Bitter", party of one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Posting to an old thread when there is a new thread for the story, really?

Um, you read it, right? Anyway, I picked this thread up off a link from the front page.
  • Reply 203 of 210
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLuvr View Post

"Bitter", party of one.

Yet, you don't do anything to prove your claim of the existence of a national registry or clarify what the registry is, and you cast aspersions on another person instead, which suggests that maybe he's right and you're probably speaking posteriorly.

Quote:

Um, you read it, right? Anyway, I picked this thread up off a link from the front page.

No, this thread is not linked from the front page. You have to click three links from the front page to get to this thread. The new thread is directly linked from the front page.

The reason I saw this thread is I have email notification from the thread, having posted to it three or four months ago.
  • Reply 204 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yet, you don't do anything to prove your claim of the existence of a national registry, and you cast aspersions on another person instead, which suggests that maybe he's right and you're speaking posteriorly.

No, this thread is not linked from the front page. You have to click three links from the front page to get to this thread.

The reason I saw this thread is I have email notification.

No, there isn't a direct link, but that is where my navigation started. Sorry if I didn't take the time to write exactly how I found this page.

FYI from Wiki: "Despite his popularity in his era, Smith is not widely recognized today, though his homes remain popular and several are on the National Register."

My "bitter party of one" "aspersion" was in reply to his rude comment to me. To be honest, I didn't want to waste any more time with this bitter person and his agenda so I didn't reply with a full explanation. In retrospect, I should not have let him bait me and just moved on. The same goes for you, and I am surprised a moderator would be so easily baited.

One thing is for certain, I really shouldn't be posting anything in these forums. It's a mean place. Good bye.
  • Reply 205 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Another instant expert emerges.

BTW, there's no such thing as the "National Registry."

I enjoy reading these forums and I never wanted to join... and I don't want to contribute my opinion to this topic but in the very least I will say..

http://nrhp.focus.nps.gov/natreghome...ype=natreghome

Do a search for Jackling. When that brings up nothing, do a search for Andalucia.
  • Reply 206 of 210
    It's called the National Register of Historic Places. Which I know better than anyone here, from 35 years experience of actually writing nominations to the National Register. If someone is going to call it the "National Registry" and use that as the basis for their opinion, then I know they are speaking out of a nether aperture. Lots of other ways to tell, but that's the first way, on this particular occasion.

Funny, but I was probably sucked into these boards on this very subject a couple of years ago now. It's difficult to watch post after post of disinformation written on a subject you know intimately. So in this and several other subsequent threads on this topic, I tried to explain, from an experienced professional point of view, how this entire process works, what issues were actually at stake, how significance determinations are made, and so on.

It was a complete waste of effort. Not at any point in pages and pages of posts, do I recall anyone acknowledging that any of this assisted in their comprehension of the topic, or any admission that perhaps their understanding of it was in any possible way, incomplete or not fully informed. Just the opposite, in fact -- I was told repeatedly that my knowledge and expertise on this subject disqualifies my opinion.

So there you have it, the complete package of willful ignorance, with a bow on top. Please forgive me if I'm not particularly cheery about seeing it resurrected.
  • Reply 207 of 210
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I'm glad they are tearing it down - I hate old houses, we should only keep the very important ones like the Biltmore Estate etc.
  • Reply 208 of 210
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The two posts above, paired together, made me laugh out loud.
  • Reply 209 of 210
    Jobs should not be allow to demolish such a great home with such historic value to California. Not many of you understand, but California is quite young and this is a old house to our standards. What a shame this will be if he is allow to move forward. He should at least have to relocate it, although this is not preferred. You can't buy a old house like this to think you can wreck it.
  • Reply 210 of 210
    I guess the House and its famous Architect, finally got their revenge!  I was never a fan of that greedy jerk, and I am glad to see that after the house that was a work of art, was demolished, so too did Steve Jobs meet his end.  Good riddance to a parasite!