Google brings speaking, listening Translate app to iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google has converted its web-based Google Translate into a native iOS app for iPhone, with voice input for 15 languages and support for speaking results in 23 languages.

In addition to voice input, the new app can translate written words and phrases in 57 languages, similar to the company's Translate web app.

But the new iOS app now allows users to tap a microphone button and begin speaking a phrase in one of 15 languages instead of typing it.

The translated results can be spoken aloud in 23, or displayed full screen to make it easy to show another person. Translated results in non-Latin scripts, such as Chinese or Japanese, can also be displayed phonetically in Pinyin or Romanji to make it easier for non-native speakers to read out loud.

The app lists a series of favorite translations for easy reference, which can be accessed even when the device has no Internet connection (live translation requires a WiFi or mobile signal to obtain results from Google via the cloud).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Would be very useful if it it worked fully without having to use data roaming (when overseas for example).. Still looks good though.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Hello everyone. I'm a[anunturi iasi] in accord ' member.[anunturi cluj napoca] Looking handle to erudition from this valuable resource. [anunturi constanta]

[anunturi bucuresti] Comprehend of be good ample do my tittle on donating and sharing from magnitude to time. [anunturi brasov]

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google has converted its web-based Google Translate into a native iOS app for iPhone, with voice input for 15 languages and support for speaking results in 23 languages.

In addition to voice input, the new app can translate written words and phrases in 57 languages, similar to the company's Translate web app.

But the new iOS app now allows users to tap a microphone button and begin speaking a phrase in one of 15 languages instead of typing it.

The translated results can be spoken aloud in 23, or displayed full screen to make it easy to show another person. Translated results in non-Latin scripts, such as Chinese or Japanese, can also be displayed phonetically in Pinyin or Romanji to make it easier for non-native speakers to read out loud.

The app lists a series of favorite translations for easy reference, which can be accessed even when the device has no Internet connection (live translation requires a WiFi or mobile signal to obtain results from Google via the cloud).

Sounds nice, doesn't work.

'Hallo' == 'Venlo' ??? (from Dutch to English)

'hi' == 'hyves' ???

Wtf. useless.

J.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I was searching on my iPhone in the Apps app and it didn't show up until I actually type in "google-translate" with the dash.

Looks like another beta with voice feature.

EN -> ES works ok.

ES -> EN, not so much.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Maybe this app should be called "How to Get Arrested Quickly in a Foreign Country"!
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Can it translate Bronx to Mid West?
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Let me know when it translates Klingon to Vulcan.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

Maybe this app should be called "How to Get Arrested Quickly in a Foreign Country"!

Good one. I can't stop laughing at the ridiculous translations it comes up with. This is really entertaining.

BTW the privacy policy states that if you use the voice recognition feature Google collects and stores the voice commands you make.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    tedktedk Posts: 16member
    . . . if these Google apps for iOS aren't just another way for Google to hoover up more info about people. Does the app send a transcript back to the mother ship every time?
  • Reply 10 of 33
    It depends on how you pronounce the intended phrase as well. I mean if you're trying to translate your second language into third for example, results will vary.

The first time I use the app it immediately load up the translation (second) language. Creepy or what they know what language you've used recently on your iDevice??? <-- Use with caution. We are talking Google here :-)
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Worthless app! Meaningless results! Nothing intelligible! Five minutes to delete!
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TedK View Post

. . . if these Google apps for iOS aren't just another way for Google to hoover up more info about people. Does the app send a transcript back to the mother ship every time?

Try speaking to the app (instead of typing i.e. using local dict etc.). It definitely send them back to their server (Airport mode=ON will disable the transmissions). I mean... if you are really pissed, just speak foul languages to them about Google or Android and see how the server response. Could be an instant denial, which just proof your initial concerns
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jiluelvimmews View Post

Hello everyone. I'm a[anunturi iasi] in accord ' member.[anunturi cluj napoca] Looking handle to erudition from this valuable resource. [anunturi constanta]

[anunturi bucuresti] Comprehend of be good ample do my tittle on donating and sharing from magnitude to time. [anunturi brasov]

Thanks.

Understood.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

Worthless app! Meaningless results! Nothing intelligible! Five minutes to delete!

Are you kidding? It works perfectly as long as you use simple sentences.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jiluelvimmews View Post

Thanks.

- from my iPhone, using Google Translate
  • Reply 16 of 33
    kesemkesem Posts: 28member
    Works well EN to Hebrew. Now add the voice from Hebrew to English please.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Spanish to English:

'¡Hola! ¿Cómo estás?"

Hello How are you?

Becomes olya com in Esther !

¿Cómo te llamas?

What's your name?

Becomes com in tea young ones!

Disaster! Worthless! Deleted!

Worse than that: I'm sick of google sniffing in my underwear every time I turn around!

Enough!
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

Spanish to English:

'¡Hola! ¿Cómo estás?"

Hello How are you?

Becomes olya com in Esther !

¿Cómo te llamas?

What's your name?

Becomes com in tea young ones!

Disaster! Worthless! Deleted!

Worse than that: I'm sick of google sniffing in my underwear every time I turn around!

Enough!

Those translations sound really dirty.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spam Sandwich View Post

Right you are... it picked up and translated "a flock of birds" "lymph glands", "flatworms", "roundworms" and "lungs" to French easily enough, but got rather comical with longer phrases.

While simple conversational ones like "when will I see you again" work, it tries to be too literal or gets the context wrong with "I would like that very much" (je voudrais que beaucoup), though it gets a bit better with "I would like it very much" (je l'aime beaucoup - not quite correct).

Work In Progress, as is most Google fare (eternal beta).
  • Reply 20 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Sounds nice, doesn't work.

'Hallo' == 'Venlo' ??? (from Dutch to English)

'hi' == 'hyves' ???

Wtf. useless.

J.

At least Google didn't withhold it from iOS.