Adobe Flash Player 10.2 offers improved hardware acceleration for Mac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

You don't know Steve very well do you??? Look up 'can hold a grudge' in the dictionary and next to it will be his picture.

Along with a picture of women.

Incidentally, why don't dictionaries these days have pictures anymore?
  • Reply 22 of 52
    That is all I care about. Flash is about the only thing that crashes my Macbook Pro.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    Why is it still only a 32bit app?

Do these idiots actually know what 64bit is?

I went to download the 64bit Windows version at work and followed the link to the 64bit Windows version but all the links were for the 32bit version which refuses to run under 64bit Internet Explorer.

Hey Adobe... give up. Give up now and do the world a favour and just kill Flash. Take it to the back of the farm and put a .303 shell through its noggin and just end this misery once and for all.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

As far as I know, hardware acceleration doesn't work with ATI cards due to Apple not coding support for them. 21.5" iMac with ATI 4670 owner here. =/

It is not so. There's cheap and easy video acceleration which is supported by low end video cards, like 9400. Those cards have dedicated decoder processor which performs all the work at 0% CPU load. CPU load overhead is generated when copying data, reading video container, etc. In the end you get low CPU usage anyway. Apple provides access to this capability.

Higher-end cards typically don't have such a decoder. However they still can accelerate some operations of video decoding to much lesseer effect. AFAIK Apple doesn't provide access to hose facilities

What Apple does is OpenCL - all purpose hardware acceleration which is overkill for such an easy task as video decoding. So stating that Apple doesn't allow hardware acceleration is not correct.

I mentioned this before, and will repeat it again: Adobe's Flash on Mac is nothing more than a very poor port of Windows version. I remember when opening Flash video fullscreen slowed FPS down due to flash doing scaling programatically ignoring all Apple specific GUI technologies that would speed this up considerably.

For Adobe Mac is still an afterthought. I'm glad Flash is dying.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Along with a picture of women.

Funniest comment I've read today! Thanks and Well done!
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Steve wins.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

You don't know Steve very well do you??? Look up 'can hold a grudge' in the dictionary and next to it will be his picture.

Right along with pictures of my ex-wives.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    *yawn* doubt i'll bother with it.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Flash has uses and I’m glad to see it improve.

But video is the least of my problems with Flash performance. Why does a Flash banner ad that does nothing, with no video, make the fans crank up and the battery drop? Yes, it might accidentally be looping some complex but useless script... but not every ad is doing such an obscure thing. Most of them are probably doing just what it looks like: sitting there, with no motion at all after the animation ends; and yet Flash is sucking up CPU cycles.

And have you ever had Safari beachball for several seconds when changing from one tab to another? Bet you don’t see that much with Flash disabled:

Safari > Preferences > Security > Enable Plugins > Off When I occasionally want to turn it back on for one page, it’s simple.

(I also use the YouTube5 extension which makes (even embedded) videos from YouTube, Vimeo and others play even without plugins enabled. It doesn’t work every time... merely more than Flash itself!)
  • Reply 30 of 52
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    We also need to get all the idiot lazy programmers/ so called web designers to stop using this POS for nonsensical implementations, like putting a logo or headline on a web page - WTF people, learn your craft or go home!

Please let this POS die a quick and painful death!
  • Reply 31 of 52
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    Would be nice if Activity Monitor showed the GPU usage like it does for the CPU - then I could actually tell what was doing the processing.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    I've been trying to watch al Jazeera Live video in Safari for the past two weeks and the performance has been dreadful. I've now, after 10.2, got it playing in another tab at the moment and the performance is superb and steady. Very pleased with the improvement!
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by speedxdesign View Post

it still blows.

before 10.2, 40 - 45% usage on 480p. After, roughly...40 - 45%. Am I doing something wrong?!

720p H.264 in quicktime just 15%. Thanks but I'll stick with my flash blockers.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

I've been trying to watch al Jazeera Live video in Safari for the past two weeks and the performance has been dreadful. I've now, after 10.2, got it playing in another tab at the moment and the performance is superb and steady. Very pleased with the improvement!

I did notice much smoother playback when I do watch flash, so thanks Adobe, now the 30 min of video I can watch before my battery is drained will look almost as good as the HTML5 videos I watch.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    This is what Adobe says about video hardware acceleration on Windows and Mac (last paragraph)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adobe

VIDEO HARDWARE ACCELERATION SUPPORT

Flash Player 10.2 supports hardware-accelerated decoding of H.264 video on Windows and Mac computers with supported hardware and drivers, providing enhanced video performance. For the latest information on supported hardware and drivers, visit the following vendor sites:

AMD/ATI drivers

AMD/ATI hardware decoding of H.264 video in Flash Player 10.2 is supported on AMD/ATI products with UVD2 with the ATI Catalyst™ Software Suite, starting with version 9.11 for the ATI Radeon™ family of products, and driver release 8.68 for the ATI FirePro™ family of products. Supported GPUs include: Radeon HD 4xxx and higher; Mobility Radeon HD 4xxx series and higher; Radeon HD 3xxx and higher; FirePro V3750, FirePro V7750, FirePro V8700, and FirePro V8750 and higher.

Broadcom drivers

Broadcom hardware decoding of H.264 video in Flash Player 10.2 is supported on the Broadcom BCM70012 as well as the BCM70015 video decoding chipsets, found in systems with Broadcom Crystal HD Enhanced Video Accelerator hardware. Systems using Broadcom video decoding should use a Windows Aero theme for optimal full-screen playback performance.

Intel drivers

Intel hardware decoding of H.264 video in Flash Player 10.2 is supported on the Intel 4 Series chipset family and the 2010 Intel Core processor family with Intel HD Graphics, starting with graphics driver version 15.16.5.2021 (8.15.10.2021) for 32/64-bit Windows Vista and Windows 7.

For the Atom/GMA 500 chipset, hardware decoding is supported starting with graphics driver version 5.2.1.2020 (8.14.10.2020) for 32-bit Windows 7. Systems using GMA 500 video decoding should use a Windows Aero theme for optimal full-screen playback performance.

NVIDIA drivers

Flash Player 10.2 offers GPU-acceleration of H.264 video on NVIDIA ION and supported NVIDIA GeForce and Quadro-powered computers. View the latest list of supported GPUs

Mac OS X hardware decoding support

On Mac computers, hardware decoding of H.264 video in Flash Player is available with Mac OS X 10.6.4 and later on hardware supported by the Mac OS Video Decode Acceleration Framework (such as the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, GeForce 320M, and GeForce GT 330M). Whether hardware decoding will engage for a specific video is determined by the Mac OS Video Decode Acceleration Framework. View hardware used by different Mac models

[SOURCE: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashp...temreqs/#video]

• Reply 36 of 52
    Flash Player 10.2 is also the version at which Adobe (finally) drops PPC support.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    People here said never an iPhone on Verizon and never Flash on iOS. Just saying.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    I had to turn off hardware acceleration on 10.1, the video kept locking up while in full screen. Hopefully this fixes that problem. Of course I'd rather PBS.com give us the option of playing H.264 instead.

The two video sites i regularly visit and neither work on the desktop without a plug-in, but both have a native iOS apps; PBS.com and Netflix. Go figure!?
  • Reply 39 of 52
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Good and useful update, desktop Flash has never been why I hate Flash so much so I guess I should be happy with these improvements. Too bad it took them about 4 years too long to get to this point and Linux users are still left out in the cold.

Which immediately brings me to the point why Flash on mobile should die and whither: if Adobe can't even keep up with supporting 3 desktop OS's running on hardware that's many times faster than cell phones and tablets, you can bet the farm Flash on mobile platforms will turn out to be a nightmare on almost every phone/tablet in existence.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Probably will still run like shit on my first-gen black MacBook, but let's see . . .