Apple's iPod classic 5th most popular media player in 2010, unlikely to go away

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It will never again sell like hot cakes, but it will be profitable and will likely be around for while yet. Cost-per-storage it still makes sense.

At #5 it's already selling like hot cakes. It's 2006 technology outpacing all but Apple's latest revisions.

That's a hot commodity.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

The iPod mini was discontinued at the height of popularity.

The Nano replaced the Mini, was smaller and had a color screen so no loss for the Mini.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

This could go in a number of ways:

1. It just goes away.

2. It gets a 128GB flash drive (with higher price and higher profit margin for Apple)

3. It hangs around for another year and we start the speculation all over again.

Classic will not reduce its capacity. 128GB flash will probably move into the Touch which is due for a make over/upgrade in Sept. Had hoped that the Touch would of made the 128GB jump last September since the 64GB chips came out that January. Toshiba just came out with a 220GB HD so most likely this will be the new high end Classic....possibly with a touch screen and virtual click wheel.

Hope that the Touch comes out with at least 128 GB flash. My old 60 GB iPod is at capacity, music and videos.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Agreed, though I myself have an insanely big music collection. I'm sorry that is beyond your understanding (). The bigger the hard drive, the better. Also, with a big hard drive, some added functionality is in order. Not sure what that would be, but the Classic is for power users, so the functionality should be with them in mind.

Agreed. What is so insane about having a big music collection? I'm 49 yrs. old and I've been collecting my music since I was a teenager buying 45's and record albums. Remember them? Anyway, I like having a bigger drive because I rip some of my best and favorite music in Apple Lossless.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

This October will mark the 10th anniversary of the iPod's introduction.

Perfect time to retire him.

The new king of the hill is the iPod Touch.

Long live the king!

You don't seem to get what the majority of posters and the sales figures are saying. The Touch is a little boy who thinks he's a man. He's no iPhone and hes not remotely big enough where it counts to satisfy discerning appreciators of music.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

I wonder whether the people with the iPod classics simply have large collections, or whether they are also storing their music in lossless format? I can imagine people who listen to jazz and classical music wanting a media player that reproduces the music in the best possible form.

The only question remaining is whether the classic iPod reproduces the sound at an acceptable quality for audio-buffs?

It does. Indistinguishable audio quality from a decent CD player with lossless or high bit rate encoded tracks.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjbjohnson View Post

Who are these people that have like 1000 CDs to fill this thing up?

My library has 1224 albums, at about 97GB.

And that doesn't include a lot of classical I haven't had time to transfer yet.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    I hope Apple keeps the Classic. I have a 160GB with 59GB left, so I probably have 2 - 3 years left and may just need to change the battery at some point. I'd like a 320 ideally. Then I may never buy an iPod Classic for another five - six years. As I get older I prefer to have higher encoding rates, preferably lossless. So my space to song ratio will decrease as times goes on, most likely.

I'm definitely not going to the iPod Touch without at least a 256GB version in the next few years, and I wouldn't pay more than $250 for it. Thus, Classic still wins in my book.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post

One other thing people haven't mentioned is blind people. The iPod Classic is now the only device that blind people can use. They can count the clicks to know where they are in the menus and operate it. The nano, the touch, the iphone are useless to them because you have to see the screen to operate them.

Yeah, but what about the iPod for the deaf? See Apple fails no matter what!
  • Reply 48 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I don't have anywhere near 1000 CDs, but even 2 years ago when my 60GB 5th gen iPod was still alive and kicking, I easily filled it up with just music. I might have had a little over 300 CDs at that point.

If you can fit 200+ CDs onto a 32GB iPhone, (a) they must be ripped at a pretty low quality bit rate, and (b) you're not putting many apps and certainly not a lot of video content on the phone.

I really liked my 60GB iPod. I liked having physical controls because it was easy to control without having to look at like a touchscreen based iPod would require. I loved being able to have all (or at the end, at least most) of my music with me wherever I was. No, I couldn't listen to even a fraction of it during a normal day, but I loved not having to micro-manage what was and wasn't on the device. If a song popped into my head, I knew it was right there to listen to.

The iPod Touch might be the most "useful" iPod but a lot of that usefulness disappears without a wi-fi connection. In that respect, I find no use to an iPod Touch that wouldn't be better served by an iPhone. The only iPod I've bought and will probably ever buy is the Classic. I don't have much need for a portable video player so even as a single-purpose music player, it remains the only iPod that appeals to me.

I have an iPod touch and I'll never buy another one. WiFi isn't ubiquitous and never will be. It doesn't hold enough of my music to bother with. If I have to re-sync every time my mood changes I'm much better off with a shuffle. Only the Classic holds enough to accommodate whatever I feel like listening to and only the Classic holds enough to satisfy the whole family on long car trips.

As an app platform, camera, internet appliance, etc. the iPhone is way better than the touch, but it's also way more expensive. On a 3 year term (yes Canada is horrible for that) with enough data to make it useful an iPhone costs as much as a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's black 160GB iPod classic was the fifth best selling .

Unsurprisingly, Apple was the dominant media player maker in 2010, representing the top nine devices in the U.S. The only non-Apple product on the list came in at No. 10: the 4GB Sandisk Sansa Clip+.

TOP 9 are all Apple. WOW!

I would not mind a 220gb Classic!
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Toshiba just came out with a 220GB HD so most likely this will be the new high end Classic....possibly with a touch screen and virtual click wheel.

A higher cap classic would be awesome. Nothing like taking all your music collection with you, instead of having to delete and replace them on a low cap 32/64Gb touch.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

A lot of people have insanely big music collections, I don't understand it myself. Also the click wheel is still a great UI.

I'm not sure mine is insanely large, it would just fit on a 160Gb Classic. Thing is, I don't want it all on my iPod, I have enough trouble in iTunes deciding what I'm in the mood for, and there's some complete rubbish in there I'll probably never listen to again .

My Touch is my mobile email client, internet tablet, etc. as well as my music player. I couldn't go back to a "just music" player now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post

One other thing people haven't mentioned is blind people. The iPod Classic is now the only device that blind people can use.

The Shuffle, Nano and Touch all have VoiceOver, which will read menu items etc. to you. I've just played with it on my Touch, and I think it would work better with the click wheel or something to step through menu items, but you can use it without looking at the screen once you're used to it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I have an iPod touch and I'll never buy another one. WiFi isn't ubiquitous and never will be.

If they are available where you are, try a MiFi-style mobile router. It creates a WiFi hotspot wherever there is mobile phone data coverage. It's what I use with my Touch in the UK, and works very well. It works with anything that has WiFi, and I can upgrade to the latest and greatest gadget without getting tied to a new cellular contract.

Alan.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    They simply won't ditch it because it's still widely popular and there is clearly demand for 100+ GB storage. As long as iPod touch doesn't catch up on that they can't because they don't have a replacement for the extra memory and battery life. They can't afford to make unhappy customers and open a door for competition who could easily match the storage. For example ... phillips themselves.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

If they throw a 320GB hard drive in there from Toshiba it will sell like hot cakes.

yes i'll buy
  • Reply 54 of 54
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I have an iPod touch and I'll never buy another one. WiFi isn't ubiquitous and never will be. It doesn't hold enough of my music to bother with. If I have to re-sync every time my mood changes I'm much better off with a shuffle. Only the Classic holds enough to accommodate whatever I feel like listening to and only the Classic holds enough to satisfy the whole family on long car trips.

As an app platform, camera, internet appliance, etc. the iPhone is way better than the touch, but it's also way more expensive. On a 3 year term (yes Canada is horrible for that) with enough data to make it useful an iPhone costs as much as a Mac Pro.

buy both and rock on dude \\\\