Apple may be prepping iPad 3 for fall 2011 launch - rumor

Comments

• Reply 61 of 104
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Except you're not explaining what's "stupid and amateurish" about it. A new iPad in the spring, a new top end model in the fall. How is that a bad idea?

It just sounds like fundamentally bad business and a terrible way to treat customers which would backfire on them. If there was any grain of truth to the ridiculous prediction, then why even bother with getting an iPad2? Most people would want the better one, and they'd simply wait, especially since it's a short wait.

Apple doesn't need to run after what other manufacturers are doing. It's everybody else who is following in Apple's footsteps, and Apple is setting the pace.
  • Reply 62 of 104
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I think they are guessing too much...

But I believe they may someday introduce different iPads at the same time, just like they have different specs for MacBook or iMacs. They'll have to begin doing that at some point if the iPad is going to be used more and more as a full fledged computer.
  • Reply 63 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It just sounds like fundamentally bad business and a terrible way to treat customers which would backfire on them. If there was any grain of truth to the ridiculous prediction, then why even bother with getting an iPad2? Most people would want the better one, and they'd simply wait, especially since it's a short wait.

Apple doesn't need to run after what other manufacturers are doing. It's everybody else who is following in Apple's footsteps, and Apple is setting the pace.

The people who will bother to get an ipad2 despite rumors of iPad3 in the fall are the same people who will get an iPhone4 right up to just before the new iPhone comes out. There are millions and millions of them and they won't be disappointed. Those who would be angered are the spec hounds and they are a much smaller subset and should know better.

Apple is pushing tech, particularly suppliers. If they are going to make a serious jump with the display and considering the quantities apple needs, I could see a change from the normal cycle since they wouldn't want a "retina" display manufacturing plant sitting idle. Apple generally doesn't do a tit for tat on features against the competition but if they're ready to push the boundary (and have quantity) I think they'll do it.
  • Reply 64 of 104
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

My own feeling is that Gruber is spot on with the theory that Apple wants to move its iPad refresh cycle to September.

Your feeling is wrong. This won't happen.

The iPod family is starting to lag in sales compared to other Apple products. By moving an iPad announcement to the same time as new iPod hardware normally arrives Apple would be basically overshadowing a group of devices that really need a boost. Apple would be sending a signal that iPods are old news and not the cool things they once were.

The only time Gruber is worth listening to is close to the time hardware or software actually gets released. At that point, there are usually enough leaks that he can get the story relatively correct.

-kpluck
  • Reply 65 of 104
    I have been insulted on this site and the moderators don't give a stuff.

These people who insult should be banned, instead I am being ignored or belittled.

If these moderators cannot do their job properly, I think they should step down.

Come one ban me, this will be just like censorship, because you don't like criticism right.
  • Reply 66 of 104
    Anyone planning on having a robust attitude that survives the next 40 years or so, better start getting used to the idea that the upgrade cycle is going to get more and more intense.

You are going to be constantly faced with the situation where, if you wait a few mere months, you will score a impressively better machine than that which can be acquired right now.

However, purchase point insanity need not set in.

The important thing to realise is that we have crossed a line where you don't have to worry any more about "the next best thing".

The reason why?

Well, since about 2009/10, the "last best thing" - ie, last season's release, has been superb, awesome, magical, just freaking wonderful.

The iPhone 3GS - brilliant, will do you for the next few years comfortably. Let alone the 4.

11 inch air mac - freaking incredible.

i5 imacs - seem to do the trick for me.

current macbook pros - wow!

What I am getting at is, we have already got to a point where these gadgets support life as we would wildly hope. So we don't need to be quite so pre-ejactualte about "the next release".

Really, it is just those who are coming up to the physical end of their machine that will be saying - hey, new release in 2 months... might hang on for a bit.

The freaking ipad is awesome. If you want one, just go get one. Don't wait for one that is 20% more magical. Magic aint like that. if it is magic, it's magic. And they are, v1 included.

(ps, personally I think the air mac blows them all away)
  • Reply 67 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Talk about a good way to piss a lot of people off.

I already know of people who are gonna be mad when the 2nd one comes out!

Why? Did they expect that V1 would be the only iPad model ever made? If so, given numerous existing examples from other tech products such as TVs, phones, game consoles, laptops and so on they can't have been paying attention!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lgutie20 View Post

We need PDAs with voice controls... just a thought

No we don't.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Whenever the next version is on the verge of coming out, there should always be strong rumors afoot about the impending development of the version to follow. That way we can enjoy all these comments from people who have plans to purchase an iPad but want to hold off until they can get a version with still more bells and whistles. It's a great way to save money because they'll never end up purchasing a tablet until years down the road - when tablets themselves inevitably become obsolete as a form factor and product by the introduction of the next great game-changer.

Congratulations to these brave folks - those who are willing to put their courage to the test by indefinitely delaying the their personal intersections with the iPad user experience.

My wife and I envy them, since she and I - weak souls that we are - capitulated by each getting WiFi + 3G iPads on April 30, the day they went on sale. We call on those who are heroically holding off to pity us for our lack of fortitude. It has been a trying nine months, using our iPads continuously to support and supplement our daily activities. For those of us who have already crossed the iPad Rubicon, we can envy those who have never partaken of the experience. Consider our suffering should we be deprived of our daily iPad addiction now that we have enjoyed them so very much these many months.

Brilliantly put!

As the old saw has it "If it works, it's obsolete"
  • Reply 68 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

I figure that the April release will be a small upgrade, say to iPad 1.5.

Of course this is all a big gamble: We don't know a thing about any plans for a September iPad 2 or iPad 3. (cue music "The Long Hot Summer" sung by Jimmie Rodgers..."...the long hot summer oh so slowly creeps along...)

Then you should hold out for the iPad 18, which will include the awesome iTeleporter and include the iPizzaDelivery protocol in 2029!
  • Reply 69 of 104
    So now we have a rumour about a product that would replace a product that has been rumoured but not yet released.

Does it get any more absurd?
  • Reply 70 of 104
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drumrobot View Post

One word: Bullshit.

One word: Unity!

Quote:

More than one word: This is obviously never going to happen.

The big shock is that it hasn't happened yet! It would make things lot easier for Apple if they would sync up hardware and software updates for all iOS devices.

Quote:

Trying to release a 3rd-generation iPad less than half a year under the second one would destroy consumer confidence...

First off releasing consummer goods in the dead of winter isn't very smart.

Second; consummers are more interested in the shinny and new than yesterday's tech. More so they have respect for companies that innovate.

Third people understand that sometimes you just can't wait a year to deliver the latest tech. You run the risk of falling behind while the competition marches forward. That willing have a last impact on the consummers impression of you as a person.

Fourth; Apple has for the longest time bumped laptops more than once a year. Nobody complains about that. In fact it is expected.

Quote:

How is this even news?

It isn't, this is a rumor site. This is not being passed off as news. At least no reasonable person would call it that.

If you go back to the original source it is pretty clear that this is even less of a rumor. It is in the realm of pure speculation.
  • Reply 71 of 104
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It just sounds like fundamentally bad business and a terrible way to treat customers which would backfire on them.

Since when is it considered bad to continuously improve products? Seriously it is as if you are totally unfamiliar with the Industry Apple is involved in. The expectation of most customers is that better hardware is just around the corner. You make a purchase decision when you need new capability.

Speaking of which there are many iPad 1 owners out there that may not upgrade to iPad 2 simply because they are happy with what they have. It has nothing to do with Apples upgrade schedule.

Quote:

If there was any grain of truth to the ridiculous prediction, then why even bother with getting an iPad2?

This isn't the first time this question has been asked which leads meto believe there are far to many clueless people on this forum! So I suggest thinking a bit on it.

Quote:

Most people would want the better one, and they'd simply wait, especially since it's a short wait.

It could be as long as eight months. Frankly that is no different than waiting a year. So if you can wait 8 months for a new one with better specs you can effectively wait forever.

Quote:

Not really!!!!

First; people will only follow in you foot steps if you are out in front. Apple will not be out in front with marginally better hardware.

Second; this has nothing to do with running after other manufactures. Indeed it is just the opposite in that it keeps the rest of the pack chasing Apple.

Third; this is a big one so listen up. Most people are not Apple fanbois and as such are far more objective in sizing up hardware and finding something that meets their needs. Like it or not iPad has more than a few weak points that can be attacked by the competition.
  • Reply 72 of 104
    This kind of thing doesn't even qualify as a rumor. It's just purely speculation. Perhaps even wishful thinking.
  • Reply 73 of 104
    The original iPhone was spec. Bumped to 16 gig. In early 2008.

There is precedence for this sort of thing...I'd guess Apple is keeping quiet about adding retina displays to the iPad - lull all of these imitators into a false sense of security.
  • Reply 74 of 104
    I don't believe this at all. I seriously doubt Apple would disrupt their seemingly established refresh cycle JUST because HP is puking out a webOS tablet. If anyone remembers when iPad first came out it was hyped for a short period of time and then it died down yet as the year rolled on closer to the holidays hype about the iPad blew up and it was the hottest must have item for the season. People will wait for the hot new Apple product and when it does they'll come out in droves because Apple has that instant appeal regardless of age. I'm sure the people behind their marketing know very well what they're doing, and will take note of the (i really don't want to bring out the Android trolls but) Android phones, there's so many of them that it seems to have flooded the market and people have TOO MANY options and it becomes such a generic thing, which is one of the reasons I believe androids sales have taken such a hit.
  • Reply 75 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

The most outrageous part of this article is that I didn't even read it. My dog was barking about something that was far more interesting.

What's that, girl? Steve Jobs fell in the well?!?!
  • Reply 76 of 104
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    TO respond to Whozown - Android sales have not taken a hit. Not before the release of the Verizon phone anyways.

To those of you who doubt this ( basically based on the idea that Apple have an internal law on releasing once per year only), lets think about the $4B and what it was spent on.

A good guess, an educated guess, is spending on displays and capital equipment to make the production of displays quicker and easier, and facilitate the tablet retina displays. And as we know from releases of 4.3 there seems to be large X2 iPad images floating around, indicating there are pre-production models in Cupertino. So lets imagine Cook and Jobs discussing this.

Jobs: We spent loads of money on new displays and factories can we make April for iPad retina displays?

Cook: No, we cannot. Production can get going in Summer though with enough supplies for a worldwide release in September.

Jobs. Not soon enough for iPad 2. And since we only release in April ( we dont want to upset readers of AI) best we mothball those factories for the year and start them up in January, maybe Februrary even though the competition may get retina type displays within a year, and will have 2-3 release cycles under their belts. The important thing is April. April is essential.

Cook. True, always release in April for iPads. Thats my motto.

Jobs. We didnt get where we are today by not releasing in April.

Cook. True, only one release so far though.

Jobs: But in April. Thats the lucky month for iPads. Lets not upset the Apple Cart. Slow down production at the factories and mothball the new ones until Jan.

Cook. Sure thing, oh wise one. Good pun on Apple carts.
  • Reply 77 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

LMAO!
  • Reply 78 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drumrobot View Post

One word: Bullshit.

More than one word: This is obviously never going to happen. Trying to release a 3rd-generation iPad less than half a year under the second one would destroy consumer confidence... How is this even news?

Serious bullshit. Tablets are their own category. The March/April timeframe puts Apple in the great position of being after the barrage of Tablets at CES but before most of them actually get released. No way they'd change to fall. Every year they'd be behind every other summer tablet launch from a CES announced product.\get real guys
  • Reply 79 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

BREAKING NEWS - Sources bark... I mean say Steve Jobs Falls in Well. iPad 5 launch delayed until December.
  • Reply 80 of 104
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MattSTKC View Post

Serious bullshit. Tablets are their own category. The March/April timeframe puts Apple in the great position of being after the barrage of Tablets at CES but before most of them actually get released. No way they'd change to fall. Every year they'd be behind every other summer tablet launch from a CES announced product.\get real guys

Nothing stopping two releases a year until the dust settles.