Nokia rumored to shift toward Silicon Valley, Windows Phone 7

1235

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


    Go to your local library and borrow a history book, have a read, heck, if that is too much for you, go to google and have a search, remember ignorance isn't a defence...



    Wow another one.

    I guess you can make stupid comments and the lame brained will jump to your defence.
  • Reply 82 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post


    She probably did not think it was funny because she was a Finn and not a Swede. You didn't know that Ikea and Volvo are Swedish companies?



    I thought they were German.
  • Reply 83 of 107
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post


    Wow another one.

    I guess you can make stupid comments and the lame brained will jump to your defence.



    If you are too ignorant to understand his comments regarding the history between the Finnish and the Russians, or the Finnish and the Swedish for that matter, then I am really sorry, like I said before, ignorance isn't a defense.
  • Reply 84 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


    If you are too ignorant to understand his comments regarding the history between the Finnish and the Russians, or the Finnish and the Swedish for that matter, then I am really sorry, like I said before, ignorance isn't a defense.



    Intelligence is not something he suffers from. Obviously history is not his strong suit. Judging from his lack of a cogent argument, whining seems to be what he does best.
  • Reply 85 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post


    I thought they were German.



    Thank you for proving my point regarding you lack of intellect.
  • Reply 86 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post


    I live here in Finland, work with Finns, speak to them, and know the culture.



    Sapporo...



    I am very interested in why Nokia has declined from it's position as world-leader to the crisis it now finds itself in.



    I am particularly interested in why it has failed to respond to the iPhone, and seemed to dismiss it.

    It was almost as if the very idea of an American software company coming up with a disruptive product was not something they could accept. They ignored it, rather than dignified it with a response.



    I have noticed that Japanese technology companies sometimes appear to share this blindness.



    In your opinion, is this is a manifestation of the Finnish characteristics? ( pride / hubris / whatever) or was it just a lack of focus and leadership that could happen anywhere?



    C.
  • Reply 87 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post


    Wow you certainly impress me with your articulated post.

    Like I said you hate Russians, if so, go on another site, more political, this site is for tech stuff.

    Why did you write about war/politics for ? What would it add to the gist of your post ? I know you have an agenda. You hate Russians.

    What nationality are you ? You say you are not Finnish, so why the xenophobic rant ?



    Just saw your latest edited drivel. If nothing else, you're consistent. Consistently wrong, but I'm sure you're used to this. My agenda as you stated was to point out that the person who spoke about Finns selling Nokia have no clue about Finland or their mindset. You too are equally clueless.
  • Reply 88 of 107
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post


    Intelligence is not something he suffers from. Obviously history is not his strong suit. Judging from his lack of a cogent argument, whining seems to be what he does best.



    Yeah, the person has time to rant some rubbish, but doesn't have time to do a quick search to realise they are wrong.
  • Reply 89 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


    Yeah, the person has time to rant some rubbish, but doesn't have time to do a quick search to realise they are wrong.



    Let this man remain with his head buried. No location specified. Use your imagination.
  • Reply 90 of 107
    stuffestuffe Posts: 392member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post


    Read his post again.

    Okay, the Russians kicked the english buts in the Crimean war.

    The Russians saved the Brits during the WWII.

    Shall I go on ? Or do you selectively research history for the bits that satisfy your insane cravings for misinformation ?



    I shall immediately report your racist post!



    Anyway, I thought it was the septics that saved our asses?





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post


    I thought they were German.



    A Joke? Surely?
  • Reply 91 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post


    Sapporo...



    I am very interested in why Nokia has declined from it's position as world-leader to the crisis it now finds itself in.



    I am particularly interested in why it has failed to respond to the iPhone, and seemed to dismiss it.

    It was almost as if the very idea of an American software company coming up with a disruptive product was not something they could accept. They ignored it, rather than dignified it with a response.



    I have noticed that Japanese technology companies sometimes appear to share this blindness.



    In your opinion, is this is a manifestation of the Finnish characteristics? ( pride / hubris / whatever) or was it just a lack of focus and leadership that could happen anywhere?



    C.



    Hi Carniphage,



    Before working for the govt here in Finland, I worked for two Finnish companies and can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that biggest problem is the social atmosphere. You go to work to hang out with your buddies and friends, sauna partners, World of Warcraft buddies, choir mates, etc.... Oh and work you do sometimes. It is incredibly hard to tell a friend that they are screwing up when you might be going to their summer cottage, or if you need a 60 inch flat screen TV and they have a cousin that works for Sony. I use these as examples because I have seen this live and in person.



    Your statement about the disruptive product is pretty much spot on. Ignore it and it will go away because we are too stubborn to change. Especially in a field where they dominated for so long. Not to mention companies like Motorola, with their crappy phones did not foster a lot of confidence in American cellular technology. It is/was a combination of your last sentence. You nailed it.



    Finns need a cultural shift but they are getting there. We were discussing this today. One thing came away for sure. Two camps and one unanimous agreement. Camp A. Nokia will move to the US and use Microsoft. Camp B. Nokia will stay in Espoo (where I live by the way. Pass Nokia daily) and use Microsoft. Agreement: Nokia will never be sold to anyone. They say the government will step in to buy enough shares to retain Finnish control. Tomorrow will be an interesting day. You might want to head over to: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...#disqus_thread



    To get a read what the Symbian/Nokia enthusiasts are saying.
  • Reply 92 of 107
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post


    The response is wide and varying. I have a good friend (was my boss when I worked for a Finnish company here) who's wife works for Nokia. The memo is real. It was not a joke. Second, at different levels within some are happy and excited while others are nervous and finger biting. Guess which ones are going to keep and lose their jobs. My friend was saying that the biggest problem within Nokia is the combative culture. The biggest competition to the N-series phones came from the E-series teams. They did not focus on selling phones outside of the company as they did at trying to undermine each other products. In my opinion as an outsider living here, I can say that I think the Finnish gov't will try to step in and stop any sale of Nokia even if it meant buying enough shares of the company to make sure the Finns retained control. I just don't see Nokia going anywhere. It is too deeply engrained in the Finnish psyche, and globally synonymous with Finland. Finns are survivors and going to another OS might be distasteful but it came down to a choice between this and selling the company, WinMo7 or Android it is.



    Thanks! Certainly is going to be an interesting Friday.
  • Reply 93 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post


    Hi Carniphage,



    Before working for the govt here in Finland, I worked for two Finnish companies and can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that biggest problem is the social atmosphere. You go to work to hang out with your buddies and friends, sauna partners, World of Warcraft buddies, choir mates, etc.... Oh and work you do sometimes. It is incredibly hard to tell a friend that they are screwing up when you might be going to their summer cottage, or if you need a 60 inch flat screen TV and they have a cousin that works for Sony. I use these as examples because I have seen this live and in person.



    Your statement about the disruptive product is pretty much spot on. Ignore it and it will go away because we are too stubborn to change. Especially in a field where they dominated for so long. Not to mention companies like Motorola, with their crappy phones did not foster a lot of confidence in American cellular technology. It is/was a combination of your last sentence. You nailed it.



    Finns need a cultural shift but they are getting there. We were discussing this today. One thing came away for sure. Two camps and one unanimous agreement. Camp A. Nokia will move to the US and use Microsoft. Camp B. Nokia will stay in Espoo (where I live by the way. Pass Nokia daily) and use Microsoft. Agreement: Nokia will never be sold to anyone. They say the government will step in to buy enough shares to retain Finnish control. Tomorrow will be an interesting day. You might want to head over to: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...#disqus_thread



    To get a read what the Symbian/Nokia enthusiasts are saying.



    Thanks for that. That's fascinating. And useful to hear it first-hand.



    Presumably the thinking behind hiring an American as CEO was to effect a change in the culture?



    C.
  • Reply 94 of 107
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post


    Why the anti-Russian rant ?

    I have been to Finland several times, had my honeymoon there, the people were very friendly and hospitable. You appear to have an issue with Russians in general, as your blurb states you are not Finish. I don't get it.



    What anti-Russian rant? They were kicking Russian butt given the size disparity. I dunno that I'd blame Sweden as much as eventually Russia had to manage to get competent generals. Allied overflight or not Finland was eventually going to buckle even if it took the Soviets a little more time.



    Racist? Are you an idiot or just completely unaware that the USSR invaded Finland in WWII?



    Edit: Ah, I see your later posts and you appear to understand the USSR invaded Finland.
  • Reply 95 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post


    What anti-Russian rant? They were kicking Russian butt given the size disparity. I dunno that I'd blame Sweden as much as eventually Russia had to manage to get competent generals. Allied overflight or not Finland was eventually going to buckle even if it took the Soviets a little more time.



    Racist? Are you an idiot or just completely unaware that the USSR invaded Finland in WWII?



    I'm leaning towards idiot based on what I've seen so far.
  • Reply 96 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post


    Thanks for that. That's fascinating. And useful to hear it first-hand.



    Presumably the thinking behind hiring an American as CEO was to effect a change in the culture?



    C.



    @tofino too,



    It is going to be interesting as hell. It's almost like waiting for an iPhone launch date. Nokia hasn't had this much buzz in years.
  • Reply 97 of 107
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I root for Nokia to do something radical on the level of what Steve Jobs is willing to do.



    I do believe they are going to make some important structural changes that will put the company on better footing. But I don't have much faith that they are courageous enough to make the radical transformation needed for Nokia to be dominant force in the mobile industry.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post


    @tofino too,



    It is going to be interesting as hell. It's almost like waiting for an iPhone launch date. Nokia hasn't had this much buzz in years.



  • Reply 98 of 107
    Wow the vile spewing forth my direction !

    Why ? I simply asked him/her/it why they put in xenophobia into otherwise what is a purely technical discussion. All I got from it and it's lackeys were drivel about my lack of intelligence, ignorance of history etc. etc. etc.

    Still my questions were not answered.

    Who cares what it's politics are, who cares what it cares, the only thing that is important that technology is discussed and not history/politics 101, which it clearly has a very slanted view of.

    What is history anyway ? Go to Japan, the school books make no mention of their atrocities in China during WWII, hell even their Prime Minister pays homage to war criminals by visiting a shrine dedicated to them.

    Go to the Baltic countries, some still worship the SS. They have annual parades.

    Poland, an ally during WWII, was even more anti-Jewish than the Nazis.

    US and UK still consider themselves to be the real heroes of WWII, its in all the mass media and has been so permanently ingrained that any questioning harbours on the sacrilegious.

    So tell me, if 70% of German military might was focused on the Eastern front, and were defeated, does that not mean that USSR was actually the real victors of WWII. This is verifiable fact,

    Even so, Russians themselves also distort history.

    So in conclusion, go to any country and each will have their own representation of "History".

    What it states in it's comments are it's views, selected "historical facts" gathered from Finnish sources or from it's own warped mind. Distorting history does not make you evil, unless it is used in such ways, however being brain dead (as it clearly is) and believing anything and everything is simply being silly.

    Think for yourself is the message here.

    Please refrain from further personal attacks, just grow up or even better go and get an education.
  • Reply 99 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


    If you are too ignorant to understand his comments regarding the history between the Finnish and the Russians, or the Finnish and the Swedish for that matter, then I am really sorry, like I said before, ignorance isn't a defense.



    So which "history" is this ? Yours, theirs, mine, who's ?

    You are quick on the slander but very slow in the brain.

    Maybe you will go to Japan to research Japanese aggression in WWII, go schools and libraries, I wonder how much you will find on subjects such as:

    1) Rape of Nanking

    2) Unit 731

    So based on your clearly flawed logic, one may say the inverse; because its not there, it never happened.

    I think you need to start thinking for yourself.

    One final question why did you jump to this person's defence ?
  • Reply 100 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post


    Wow the vile spewing forth my direction !

    Why ? I simply asked him/her/it why they put in xenophobia into otherwise what is a purely technical discussion. All I got from it and it's lackeys were drivel about my lack of intelligence, ignorance of history etc. etc. etc.

    Still my questions were not answered.

    Who cares what it's politics are, who cares what it cares, the only thing that is important that technology is discussed and not history/politics 101, which it clearly has a very slanted view of.

    What is history anyway ? Go to Japan, the school books make no mention of their atrocities in China during WWII, hell even their Prime Minister pays homage to war criminals by visiting a shrine dedicated to them.

    Go to the Baltic countries, some still worship the SS. They have annual parades.

    Poland, an ally during WWII, was even more anti-Jewish than the Nazis.

    US and UK still consider themselves to be the real heroes of WWII, its in all the mass media and has been so permanently ingrained that any questioning harbours on the sacrilegious.

    So tell me, if 70% of German military might was focused on the Eastern front, and were defeated, does that not mean that USSR was actually the real victors of WWII. This is verifiable fact,

    Even so, Russians themselves also distort history.

    So in conclusion, go to any country and each will have their own representation of "History".

    What it states in it's comments are it's views, selected "historical facts" gathered from Finnish sources or from it's own warped mind. Distorting history does not make you evil, unless it is used in such ways, however being brain dead (as it clearly is) and believing anything and everything is simply being silly.

    Think for yourself is the message here.

    Please refrain from further personal attacks, just grow up or even better go and get an education.



    You pick one sentence from the entire post and then take it out of the context in which it was presented then you go offing into a rambling obtuse diatribe that in the end proves how little you know about Finland and Finnish history. I like the fact that you cherry picked around my comment about actually living there. So again, until you actually live there and not spend a "honeymoon", you have zero point zero understanding about Finland, Finnish culture, Finnish people, or their mindset. Is that clear enough for you or do you intend to continue wasting everyone's time (I think I can say everyone here) and sulking about your inability to understand the context behind a statement? Get a life and grow up. Make sure you report this too.
Sign In or Register to comment.