Varying accounts report modest lines for Apple's Verizon iPhone 4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Lines of customers looking to buy Apple's new Verizon iPhone 4 were contrastingly profiled as either noteworthy or "laughably short," but a smattering of anecdotal reports largely suggest smaller crowds than for the debut of the iPhone 4 last year.

Lines for the highly anticipated handset may have been shortened by the fact that the Verizon iPhone 4 is, aside from its internal CDMA radio, the same phone that was released last year on AT&T's network. There's also the fact that Apple and Verizon took preorders from existing customers a week ago, and allowed online ordering for the masses on Wednesday.

And then there is the extremely cold weather currently in many cities, as noted by Dan Frommer of Silicon Alley Insider. He also portrayed some of the lines for the Verizon iPhone 4 as "laughably short."

Similarly, a story by CNN declared that "few customers" were in line for the Verizon iPhone. It noted that eight people were in line at Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue store in New York City, while down the street about a dozen people waited at a Verizon Wireless store.

But while lines were short on Fifth Avenue, The Wall Street Journal noted they were much longer in other locations. For example, about 40 people were outside of a Verizon Wireless store in Hoboken, N.J.

A line of about 20 customers stands outsize Louisville, Ken., Verizon store Thursday morning. Photo via Flickr user jasonhiner.

Of course, initial lines for a product are not necessarily a great indicator of success. Last April, The Wall Street Journal characterized lines for the iPad launch as "thin." Apple's touchscreen tablet went on to have a strong launch and sales hit a million in less than a month.

Expectations for the Verizon iPhone are high, as Apple's best-selling handset is now available on a carrier other than AT&T in the U.S. for the first time. Analyst Mike Abramsky with RBC Capital Markets has forecast that more than a million Verizon iPhone 4 handsets will be sold in the first week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Maybe a different psychological profile in these buyers. Not Apple fans per se so less inclined to line up at a launch event. I guess most are buying on line.
  • Reply 2 of 104
    Or maybe it's Thursday and most people work?
  • Reply 3 of 104
    I am super happy the the iPhone came to Verizon but for me personally, I am holding off my purchase until the iPhone 5 comes out. Can't wait for that!
  • Reply 4 of 104
    Perhaps most of the people that were chomping at the bit for one already have theirs; I got mine on Monday.
  • Reply 5 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Or maybe it's Thursday and most people work?

The iPhone 4 was released on a Thursday in June. I remember calling in sick and missing the first inning of an afternoon ballgame due to standing in line
  • Reply 6 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Maybe a different psychological profile in these buyers. Not Apple fans per se so less inclined to line up at a launch event. I guess most are buying on line.

I'm sure there is something to that as those that really wanted the iPhobe went to AT&T, bur we need to consider that Verizon isn't offering an early upgrade like AT&T does.
  • Reply 7 of 104
    Maybe, just maybe, the reason there are no lines is that there is much less demand for a Verizon iPhone than expected. Weather is not a factor...we see people line up each Christmas outside many stores. Here are some real reasons:

-iPhone 5 around the corner.

-Most people are actually happy with AT&T.

-Verizon has fewer features, less speed.

-NY Media Centric Hype overstated demand.
  • Reply 8 of 104
    The consensus I'm getting from the Verizon customers that I know is they will wait for the iPhone 5 because there is no clear upgrade path from iPhone4 to iPhone5. And according to them, the fact that Verizon now has the iPhone, the thought of renewing for an Android phone is no longer a consideration.
  • Reply 9 of 104
    You have to figure that

1) Loads of people are waiting to see if the iPhone 5 will be on both carriers on day 1.

2) Loads of Verizon customers are currently locked in to smartphone contracts and are not yet eligible for an upgrade.

3) Loads of AT&T customers are currently locked in to smartphone contracts (iPhone contracts) with AT&T and don't want the cost of switching carriers.

That's a lot of loads.

Then you figure that a majority of the people that were interested as VZ customers, already ordered online a week ago and the only people that would need to line up today are those that are ready to dump their current carrier.
  • Reply 10 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Maybe, just maybe, the reason there are no lines is that there is much less demand for a Verizon iPhone than expected. Weather is not a factor...we see people line up each Christmas outside many stores. Here are some real reasons:

-iPhone 5 around the corner.

-Most people are actually happy with AT&T.

-Verizon has fewer features, less speed.

-NY Media Centric Hype overstated demand.

Or maybe the media is putting their usual spin on things to whip up support for shareholders. If the viPhone is a hot seller, buy Verizon stock. If the turnout is lame, go back to AT&T stock.

As for me, I could care less that the rest of the world does. I got mine and I'm delighted. Thanks Steve, get well soon.
  • Reply 11 of 104
    I was kinda disappointed that Verizon's family plan for 2 lines is $90 as opposed to $55 for AT&T.

Data charge is same. So my costs go up by about $40 on switching!

If costs were same I would have ordered yesterday.
  • Reply 12 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Or maybe the media is putting their usual spin on things to whip up support for shareholders. If the viPhone is a hot seller, buy Verizon stock. If the turnout is lame, go back to AT&T stock.

As for me, I could care less that the rest of the world does. I got mine and I'm delighted. Thanks Steve, get well soon.

I 'couldn't care less' about AT&T or Verizon stock, I just want AAPL stock to hit 400 soon. Then, I am biased and admit it

So close to $360 at this moment I can taste it!
  • Reply 13 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gauravchak View Post

I was kinda disappointed that Verizon's family plan for 2 lines is $90 as opposed to $55 for AT&T.

Data charge is same. So my costs go up by about $40 on switching!

If costs were same I would have ordered yesterday.

Just out of curiosity, were you thinking of switching due to being in one of the poorer AT&T coverage areas or some other reason?
  • Reply 14 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I'm sure there is something to that as those that really wanted the iPhobe went to AT&T, bur we need to consider that Verizon isn't offering an early upgrade like AT&T does.

Yep, probably a combination of both. Hopefully on line sales will be high.
  • Reply 15 of 104
    Who wants to stand in line during the freezing ass cold!!
  • Reply 16 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Who wants to stand in a line during the freezing ass cold!!

Then there is that ...

(I forget living in FL)
  • Reply 17 of 104
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    It is funny because in-store sales and total sales will be several times any Android phone launch. The iPhone 4 is over 7 months old, and people call that laughable. It is laughable, but no tin the way they intend.

It is patheti-sad for android how much longer these lines are than any device launched.
  • Reply 18 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post

The consensus I'm getting from the Verizon customers that I know is they will wait for the iPhone 5 because there is no clear upgrade path from iPhone4 to iPhone5. And according to them, the fact that Verizon now has the iPhone, the thought of renewing for an Android phone is no longer a consideration.

That is very interesting. So a temporary freeze in sales for Verizon in the high end smart phone arena may result if this were wide spread. I am sure the great expectations would cause stocks to slide if this comes to pass. Hopefully though, you know more tech savvy or well informed users. I suspect the great unwashed hordes don't even know about iPhone 5 any more than they understand what 4G really is so sales will do OK (fingers crossed).
  • Reply 19 of 104
    I bet the month will not go by before Apple announces that iPhone 5 will not be coming on the normal date.

You can be sure that it would be unacceptable to Verizon if ATT would get their version a few months before them. And Apple would surely not make a new Verizon model that would only sell for a few months.

Other than the people screaming for it to come on the anniversary as always.

Apple has time. No competitors will outdo them in 6 or 8 months time.
  • Reply 20 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

It is funny because in-store sales and total sales will be several times any Android phone launch. The iPhone 4 is over 7 months old, and people call that laughable. It is laughable, but no tin the way they intend.

It is patheti-sad for android how much longer these lines are than any device launched.

I added all the missing letters and figured out what you said ... ... I agree (assuming I added the right letters!).