Apple may be prepping iPad 3 for fall 2011 launch - rumor

Comments

• Reply 81 of 104
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I agree except for the version numbers... the next iPad will be v. 2 but the release in the fall will be v. 2.5. I think the fall release (if there is one) would be the iPad that SJ really wants to show everyone. The v. 2 release in the next month or so is "now" a stop gap product because I think SJ saw the writing on the wall and decided something better would be necessary for the holiday quarter line-up.

That's fine for OS nomenclature but I don't see hardware being branded with a decimal point. It doesn't have the right ring to it ..."Behold the iPad 2.5"

I suspect this maybe a situation here where the major upgrade over the current iPad is the one in the Fall and this version 2 is in fact a stop gap aimed keeping attention on iPad over Honeycomb and W7 pads (sorry tablets). Apple could not afford to wait for the major update so have introduced a partial update now for strategic reasons. iPad 3, or whatever name Apple gives, it maybe more revolutionary than evolutionary as iPad 2 is.
  • Reply 82 of 104
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    You have problems if you're listening to Gruber, at all.
  • Reply 83 of 104
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That's fine for OS nomenclature but I don't see hardware being branded with a decimal point. It doesn't have the right ring to it ..."Behold the iPad 2.5"

I suspect this maybe a situation here where the major upgrade over the current iPad is the one in the Fall and this version 2 is in fact a stop gap aimed keeping attention on iPad over Honeycomb and W7 pads (sorry tablets). Apple could not afford to wait for the major update so have introduced a partial update now for strategic reasons. iPad 3, or whatever name Apple gives, it maybe more revolutionary than evolutionary as iPad 2 is.

I think a speed bump and a camera. Fall for the retina display and any form factor improvements.

In both cases keep the pervious model as a low end entry point.
  • Reply 84 of 104
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I think a speed bump and a camera. Fall for the retina display and any form factor improvements.

In both cases keep the pervious model as a low end entry point.

If I had to guess I'd say the v3, or whatever name it has, will be a massive leap and one that will leave all the copycats gasping and scrambling yet again as they were when SJ introduced the first iPad. This time the Apple board doesn't have a Google mole either.
  • Reply 85 of 104
    The product is new enough to have an extra update this year.

All they have to do in April is say they've refreshed the iPad line. It doesn't even need a number change. It'll simply be called the iPad. You highlight the newer features and sell it as the iPad for several months.

Six months later introduce the iPad HD at a higher cost, (or as a replacement for the higher end iPad) only one model. At the same time introduce the the 7 inch iPod Gamer HD at the low end regular iPad price. Both devices will have retina display.

Next April update the entire iPad line to IPad HD. And then tell people you'll have a regular refresh rate from then on. You end up getting a better quality line of iPads faster and those who want premium can pay for it a little sooner.

As to the 7 inch iPod Gamer HD, again why not? A slightly larger screen on an iPod makes sense. They'd market it to people who regularly wear backpacks so storage wouldn't be a problem. It's purpose? Games and movies. Of course it could do the same thing as over ios devices, but that would not be it's purpose. It might even be able to store many more songs than current iPods.

Steve doesn't want a 7 inch iPad. But a 7 inch iPod is just the next development in it's evolution.
  • Reply 86 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steveafb View Post

Pathetic rumor

If any of you had taken business courses or have been following Apple's moves and have some common sense then you would know this rumor is bullshit.

First of all it will mess up apple's supply chain and economies of scale. Second of all, it will hurt its brand reputation since they would be cheating out customers that bought the ipad 2 there will be many many negatives if they do this. There are no net benefits for apple to do it. Third of all is just the expansion of my second point, there are no net benefits but extra costs for apple because competitors are virtually non existent and to abandon the technology to produce ipad 2 for ipad 3 in 6 month? Foxconn would be f***** same with other manufacturers. Use your brain please. Zzzzz

If you actually understood your business courses rather than just taking them, you might realise that you sound a bit of an idiot.

Gruber's post is well reasoned, even if just his guess.
  • Reply 87 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anwerman View Post

...7 inch iPod Gamer HD...

*snort*
  • Reply 88 of 104
    Strange to see so many posts against a Sept. introduction.

Sep is near Dec. Dec = xmas shopping. It's also back to school.

If I had to pick between April and September, I'd pick the latter.

That is, if Apple settles on an annual upgrade cycle some time in the future.

I agree with Gruber that this new category is worth a super aggressive schedule to grow market/mind share as quickly as possible.

Someone had counted the number of tablets intro'd at the electronics show and I believe it was over 100. Apple has to push hard in this sandbox to remain on top.

Gruber's guess makes sense to me.
  • Reply 89 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Whenever the next version is on the verge of coming out, there should always be strong rumors afoot about the impending development of the version to follow. That way we can enjoy all these comments from people who have plans to purchase an iPad but want to hold off until they can get a version with still more bells and whistles. It's a great way to save money because they'll never end up purchasing a tablet until years down the road - when tablets themselves inevitably become obsolete as a form factor and product by the introduction of the next great game-changer.

Congratulations to these brave folks - those who are willing to put their courage to the test by indefinitely delaying the their personal intersections with the iPad user experience.

My wife and I envy them, since she and I - weak souls that we are - capitulated by each getting WiFi + 3G iPads on April 30, the day they went on sale. We call on those who are heroically holding off to pity us for our lack of fortitude. It has been a trying nine months, using our iPads continuously to support and supplement our daily activities. For those of us who have already crossed the iPad Rubicon, we can envy those who have never partaken of the experience. Consider our suffering should we be deprived of our daily iPad addiction now that we have enjoyed them so very much these many months.

Too true!

What a joke! A pure vaporware story is floated, and right away people start posting about waiting for the "iPad 3"!!! Hey, hooples, didn't it ever occur to you that the purpose of these "rumors" may be to slow sales of iPads so the competition could catch up (good luck with that, BTW...), and so is most likely being promulgated by Apple's competitors?

Doh!
  • Reply 90 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Too true!

What a joke! A pure vaporware story is floated, and right away people start posting about waiting for the "iPad 3"!!! Hey, hooples, didn't it ever occur to you that the purpose of these "rumors" may be to slow sales of iPads so the competition could catch up (good luck with that, BTW...), and so is most likely being promulgated by Apple's competitors?

Doh!

Gruber has been undercover for years!!
  • Reply 91 of 104
    This by far has to be the most obscene effort to grab eyeballs to increase advertising $ via increased traffic. The author should be fired.
  • Reply 92 of 104
    he'd have to fire himself.

I dont see any real argument against a Fall release, just people getting angry at the author. To me the obvious reason why it the release is certain is the money they spent on "components" - all $4B of it. Mostly rumoured to be for displays - buying capital equipment and even new factories for suppliers.

Now that is money pissed up a tree if it is spent now and the product it is for is not released until April 2012.
  • Reply 93 of 104
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Strange to see so many posts against a Sept. introduction.

Sep is near Dec. Dec = xmas shopping. It's also back to school.

If I had to pick between April and September, I'd pick the latter.

That is, if Apple settles on an annual upgrade cycle some time in the future.

I agree with Gruber that this new category is worth a super aggressive schedule to grow market/mind share as quickly as possible.

Someone had counted the number of tablets intro'd at the electronics show and I believe it was over 100. Apple has to push hard in this sandbox to remain on top.

Gruber's guess makes sense to me.

Good summary. And Siegler seems pretty sure of his source(s).

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/09/ipad-3/

Both of these guys are primarily writing for people in the industry, and so this is not idle speculation. Developers, for example, need to think ahead. My own and anyone else's cinematic plans for the iPad will change with the higher resolution, which must come in the end, since Apple has set the standard with iPhone 4. I only wish they could get it out on the upcoming revision.

The necessary element for now is FaceTime and the processor and ram improvements. That's why April, if it happens, is the real revision. Competing tablets have cameras! And better specs . . .

And for the last time, I'm going to say here again that the rear camera is necessary for FaceTime on a mobile device. You have to be able to show where you are, and for that you need to see on your screen what you are showing with the rear camera. It isn't only about your face, it's about your place.

So I think Gruber is wrong about that part of his projection. Many people can't imagine holding up an iPad to take a picture; I think that's a failure of imagination. We will find advantages to this form of photography, as we always do when something new appears.

But his September Surprise scenario makes total sense, and I say congratulations for putting it out there.

Finally, for those torturing themselves waiting for the ultimate version, I can only assure you that once you have one, you will congratulate yourself every day that you can walk around with the internet in your hands, unchained at last from vertical screens.
  • Reply 94 of 104
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by some internet dude View Post

It will probably have Lion on it, in all its touch interface glory.

Lion was designed for the mouse or trackpad. Think next time.
  • Reply 95 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It just sounds like fundamentally bad business and a terrible way to treat customers which would backfire on them. If there was any grain of truth to the ridiculous prediction, then why even bother with getting an iPad2? Most people would want the better one, and they'd simply wait, especially since it's a short wait.

I'm not sure that "most people would want the better one" if the better one costs $100-200 more. And, I think that is a real possibility. Apple could introduce these as true premium product with a double-resolution display, the ability to work completely wirelessly (no initial tether) and maybe a few other changes. This would afford them the opportunity to work towards acceptable display yields even as they ramp production.

I'm not certain they will permanently move the iPad event to fall; there are a lot of benefits to the current schedule. But I do believe we will see an iPad HD/Pro?something before the holiday buying season. Some of the changes like "all wireless" could be moved down-line at the next iPad release, even if that event were to occur next spring.
  • Reply 96 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

The iPod family is starting to lag in sales compared to other Apple products. By moving an iPad announcement to the same time as new iPod hardware normally arrives Apple would be basically overshadowing a group of devices that really need a boost. Apple would be sending a signal that iPods are old news and not the cool things they once were.

I agree with the above but think they could have a one-time announcement of an iPad HD. Then again, it need not be part of the iPod event. I think the fall event should be iPod and AppleTV along with any content deals that have not been announced. However, content deals, in general, should be announced as they are made.
  • Reply 97 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Then you should hold out for the iPad 18, which will include the awesome iTeleporter and include the iPizzaDelivery protocol in 2029!

Why do you need the PizzaDelivery protocol if the Teleporter is working properly?
  • Reply 98 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

So now we have a rumour about a product that would replace a product that has been rumoured but not yet released.

Does it get any more absurd?

No, we have a rumor about an expansion at the top end of the product line. This is not suggested as a replacement which should have been obvious from this:

Quote:

"iPad 3, shipping in September, announced at the annual iPod event. Running iOS 5.1, same as the next-generation iPod Touch," predicted Gruber, adding that the release may be more like an iPad 2.5, iPad 2 HD or iPad 2 Pro--"a new higher-end model that sits atop the iPad product family, not a replacement for the iPad 2 models."

• Reply 99 of 104
    See how competition is good for all consumers, including Apple evangelists? If not for competition, Apple would have released iPad 1.5 this year to milk Apple fans and launch the (real) iPad 2 only next year.
  • Reply 100 of 104
    iPad

in this story

people

John Gruber

organizations

Apple, Hewlett-Packard

products

iPad, iPad 2, Touchpad, iPod

publications

TechCrunch

A reputable source of Apple insider information, Daring Fireball?s John Gruber indicates in a blog post that HP?s new HP Touchpad may run up against the iPad 3's launch this fall, though not confirming any knowledge of the Apple tablet itself