Arrival of Apple's iPhone on Verizon predicted to disrupt 1M Android sales

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

jeez! (supposing it's true) How is this kind of shit not being caught at development?

jeez! supposing it's not true and just being said to generate web traffic. Why are these stories even allowed to be published?
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Market share is important for developers and developers ensure there are cool apps to ensure profitabilty. So they are relates.

Profitability also matters to developers. As long as developers can make more money writing apps for iOS, they will largely prefer that platform.This is not only a function of marketshare but the distribution model (paid app v. ad supported). This might change in the future but for now the App Store seems to be where the money is for developers.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Verizon now has a 3-tiered phone lineup, with iPhone at the top. Naturally.

LOL. The iPhone isn't considered a "smartphone" according to Verizon. It's in a class of its own
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Some background:

I owned an iPhone 3G and then a 3GS while living in Philly. I loved the phone, but had constant dropped calls (sitting still, outside with full bars on the phone). My 3GS was stolen about 4 months into my contract and I decided that, if I had to pay full price, I didn't want to stick with AT&T. The timing was right as Verizon just released the Motorola Droid. I had been a happy Verizon customer for years prior to the iPhone coming out, so I payed the early termination fee and bought the Droid.

I wouldn't say it was love at first sight, but I came to love the Droid and the improvements to the OS over the course of the next year. The search capability on the Droid was my favorite feature. Click thee search button, say Calumet Photo and the first response was my local store with a handy button to place a call!

But, I am a business user and found two shortcomings in Android. First was the lack of strong MS Exchange support. I was annoyed to have to use multiple applications for email, but got used to it. Then, I found Touchdown for Exchange. What a great product and some very talented, responsive developers.

Second problem is the lack of NTLM support in the Safari Mobile browser. We have two web apps, Sharepoint and Nearpoint (an MS Exchange archiving tool) that I access frequently when on the road. The inability of the Droid to login to either site was frustrating, but not nearly as much as the lack of a response from Google from the many forum posts on the subject.

So, last week, 6 months before I was supposed to be eligible for an upgrade, I checked my Verizon account, just for fun...and guess what? They said I could upgrade for the reduced price! My new iPhone showed up on Monday the 7th and I quickly set it up before heading to New York to see Prince. My girlfriend has an iPhone 4 on AT&T, so we did a bunch of Internet browsing tests...hate to say it, but the Verizon phone beat it in every test! She is not a happy camper and refuses to discuss it now!

The native support for Exchange, the unified Inbox and the support of NTLM all made for a very nice transition. I'm a little disappointed in the search capability, though. I find that I have to press/tap too many times to get what I need. I did download the Google App and the voice search is good, but still not as good as on the Droid.

I think I'm happy with my decision...I think! Time will tell, but as long as I have my Kindle App, Angry Birds and can manage my emails in one app, I'm pretty happy.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Market share is important for developers and developers ensure there are cool apps to ensure profitabilty. So they are relates.

And if the Android marketplace isn't profitable? An "open" OS sold to a bunch of people who don't believe in paying for software isn't going to support a lot of developers.

Google itself is "unhappy" with the state of the marketplace. It's filled with tons of crappy apps that manage to hide the very few gems. Despite Android's parity in market share, by all reports actual sales are a fraction of those for iOS.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

And if the Android marketplace isn't profitable? An "open" OS sold to a bunch of people who don't believe in paying for software isn't going to support a lot of developers.

Google itself is "unhappy" with the state of the marketplace. It's filled with tons of crappy apps that manage to hide the very few gems. Despite Android's parity in market share, by all reports actual sales are a fraction of those for iOS.

Just visited App Store on my iPhone. Here's what I could find without searching:

Sexybooth+

Finger Cutter

Paul

Talking Babies

Doodle Dumps

Talking Tom Cat

90 in 1: APPZILLA

The Moron Test

BaldBooth

AgingBooth

Ringtone Designer

JobJuice Marketing