Sony hints it could pull its music from iTunes in ongoing war with Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

The labels think that every $ in profit that Apple has made on iPods and iPhones is actually their profit that Apple has "stolen" from them.

This is coming from a company that is probably still applying "breakage" against revenues on digital downloads.
  • Reply 22 of 156
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

how about this clever approach

follow the rules resubmit and talk to SJ

apple could buy sony shut down its losing areas or buy the movies and song division

something big is going to happen with all those billions SJ is stockpiling

Never buy your customer.

Apple should stay out of the content business altogether.

That is one reason that I think iAds will fail. It doesn't support hardware sales. No one buys a device so they can watch ads.
  • Reply 23 of 156
    Can someone please explain to me why I so many companies and developers are throwing a fit about this? If Apple is not stopping these purchases, but rather just trying to require for the conveniece of users that there is a choice between buying through a web portal or through the App itself, then why does Sony care? Am I missing something huge here? It seems ridiculous to resist providing an in-app purchase method.
  • Reply 24 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Never buy your customer.

Apple should stay out of the content business altogether.

That is one reason that I think iAds will fail. It doesn't support hardware sales. No one buys a device so they can watch ads.

Your opinion has proven to be futile.

The platform and software are a synergy.
  • Reply 25 of 156
    Any company producing content that states, "people can buy it elsewhere than iTunes" just dont get it. It's a lovely ecosystem, with MILLIONS of users that would not bother searching for stuff. BUT, when they find it a click away, and it's only a buck or so, they buy it. THEY NEVER WOULD otherwise.

Lost sales to anyone who pull from iTunes. Tough luck to all jealous arrogant dinosaurs
  • Reply 26 of 156
    It's funny how these companies, including Apple, have never asked the question, "Who gives a shit about the customers?" in these back and forth high school-level antics.

That I can't get the Sony e-reader or Sony music because these "whiners" can't come up with a solution to a non-technical issue is a bunch of mackerel paste.
  • Reply 27 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Can someone please explain to me why I so many companies and developers are throwing a fit about this? If Apple is not stopping these purchases, but rather just trying to require for the conveniece of users that there is a choice between buying through a web portal or through the App itself, then why does Sony care? Am I missing something huge here? It seems ridiculous to resist providing an in-app purchase method.

I agree. I tried to buy a last-minute promotional deal while on the go and it would have been nice to be able to do it through the Yelp app with iTunes rather than go to their website and enter in all my payment information...

And most, if not all, music I buy is from ID'ing it with Shazam and then a one-click purchase. Sometimes its nice to just hear a new song debuting with the latest episode of your favorite TV show (almost every week with Castle or Chuck...) and be able to buy it for a dollar right then and there.

Capitalism. Sit back, let them argue, and eventually something will hopefully evolve from the process to the net benefit of the consumer. Compare it to say... the completely unrelated example of non-union workers who receive the benefits negotiated by unions.
  • Reply 28 of 156
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Because they know once users are given the choice of going to their individual storefront, or using Apple's one stop shopping center, most people will choose Apple. Thereby giving Apple a cut of their profit.

They would rather people stick to a less convenient method, and keep ALL of the profit from a probably smaller total purchases.
  • Reply 29 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

It only takes one to start the flood. 10 years ago iTunes was it, now things are changing a bit. One leaves, some others may follow. Curious to see how this turns out.

They won't leave... there isn't any other alternative that sells more music with so little work involved in making those sales.

Of course.... someone at Sony could be a complete and utter moron...
  • Reply 30 of 156
    Bye Sony. Let us know how sales go do the 5% of the market who doesn't have an iPod or iPhone as their music player.

And to the guy who buys cd's, 20 cents a track for 15 songs when I only want one or two is still more than iTunes.
  • Reply 31 of 156
    I wonder when Sony and Amazon will allow iTunes / iBooks purchases on their e-readers.
  • Reply 32 of 156
    One question, if Apple states they've always enforced the rule, why is the Kindle app still available on iTunes?
  • Reply 33 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crustyjusty View Post

I wonder when Sony and Amazon will allow iTunes / iBooks purchases on their e-readers.

I am sure they would but no way Apple would allow it.
  • Reply 34 of 156
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    If Apple has to follow Sony's rules on music distribution then Sony should follow Apple's rules on iBooks distribution.
  • Reply 35 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

One question, if Apple states they've always enforced the rule, why is the Kindle app still available on iTunes?

Only applies to updates and new apps???
  • Reply 36 of 156
    Let them sell it somewhere else. When nobody buys it there, they will come back to iTunes.

If Sony doesn't deliver their music in the method people actually want, then either it won't sell or people will go back to pirating it. iTunes works because it's easy, convenient, and gives people an incentive to pay for music rather then steal (in contrast with most other stores and their DRM-laden cesspools.)
  • Reply 37 of 156
    Publishers and content providers don't think they should have to share 30% of their revenue with Apple through in-app purchases. Basically Sony wants to provide their app for free then direct customers to a webpage or something else for purchasing content to use in the app cutting Apple out of the revenue all together. And basicly just use Apple's hosting/delivery services for free. They all want access to the promised land of billions of users without paying the gatekeeper to them, or maker of that promised land. It's an industry that is so used to getting their way and screwing everyone from the artist, distributers, and customers. They really don't like having to play with someone else's rules
  • Reply 38 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Because they know once users are given the choice of going to their individual storefront, or using Apple's one stop shopping center, most people will choose Apple. Thereby giving Apple a cut of their profit.

They would rather people stick to a less convenient method, and keep ALL of the profit from a probably smaller total purchases.

This is helpful. I wasn't quite making the greed connection in my head for some reason. I have no idea how this could have escaped me. If iTunes suddenly went out of business, I certainly wouldn't start buying from Sony directly, or any of the other labels for that matter. I am not interested in having multiple sites, with multiple storefronts, and multiple price points and terms of service agreements, requiring me to have multiple accounts and likely multiple jukebox applications to use and manage it all. I want a single simple and integrated source, like iTunes.

If iTunes were to vanish, I would likely move over to Amazon to buy all my music. And of course then it is Amazon that has this power and that companies would be saying are unfairly taking a big cut, and causing their poor artists to go hungry, etc....dictator...blah blah...Hitler....yada yada...poor Sony cant afford food and clothing.
  • Reply 39 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

how about this clever approach

follow the rules resubmit and talk to SJ

That's just it, SONY would NEVER talk to SJ. SONY hates that Apple's replaced them as the most recognized brand of electronics maker.
  • Reply 40 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

More than just that, though. The labels think that every $ in profit that Apple has made on iPods and iPhones is actually their profit that Apple has "stolen" from them. In their self-centered view of the universe, all the value-added of the iPod is their music. They don't have the least clue as to why the iPod was more successful than all the other mp3 players out there.

Even if they never say it, that's exactly the feeling the convey. If the talk about european publishers and iPad subscriptions is true, they pretty much have the same mindset. "Without our content, iPad is nothing."

Unfortunately for the content heads, a multi-purpose computing device doesn't serve only their ends.