Nokia ditches Symbian, embraces Microsoft Windows Phone for new handsets

Comments

• Reply 61 of 266
    Bunch of absolute muppets at Nokia, they have been completely and uttlerly stitched up and ass raped by Microsoft and there new CEO who came from there and is likely still under contract with Microsoft.

Windows Phone 7 is without a shadow of a doubt completely and utterly shit.

Nokia is doomed, I have not seen such a stupid decision in a long long long time. Bunch of fucking idiots the lot of them. I've always been happy with my Nokia phones i've used in the past, but i've yet to own a smartphone from them and looks like i never will.
  • Reply 62 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I tend to agree with this assessment. I'm not sure why everyone else is being so positive about it.

This feels like a takeover to me, even at this distance. I think that "up close" in Helsinki they are probably not going to react very well at all. We are talking about *the* national company here, I don't think the majority of the folks that use Nokia products, let alone the huge portion of the population that works there, is going to see this as good news.

It seems likely that vast numbers of Nokia smartphone users will jump ship. It seems likely also that the clash of cultures and what appears to be an outside hostile takeover of the beloved national company is going to cause some major waves as well.

By the time they get it all sorted out it will be too late and too many people will have left. At the very least we are going to see a years worth of "integration" while Windows Phone 7 is re-done so it works internationally.

This is horrible news for Nokia. They are going to be eviscerated because they bought into a crazy pipe dream of Win Phone 7 dominance that was sold to them by the oldest group of snake-oil salesmen in the business.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I fear for Nokia. I've owned many Nokia phones in the past, and I'd probably still have a Nokia were it not for the iPhone. They needed to act fast to compete with the iPhone instead of criticizing it, but they didn't, and now this M$ deal isn't going to help them, likely it'll make things worse.
  • Reply 63 of 266
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    I don't know why people keep talking about WP7's demise. Android sales sucked for a while too. Why? Phone manufacturers take their time in adopting a new platform. Once manufacturers start pumping out WP7 phones, they will sell. Consumers can only buy what's on the market, and Nokia's good at pumping out phones.

Nokia adopting WP7 is good for the market. It basically ensures that Android won't become as dominant as Windows and that's good news for companies that do not share their OS (Apple, RIM, and now HP). With market share split, no one should be at risk of losing developers to the most dominant OS and gives Apple the chance to remain the most profitable for developers. A competitive phone OS market is the best thing possible for Apple at this point in time.

As phone OS's and smartphones get more powerful, watch for them to enter the PC market (HP already suggested WebOS is going to the PC, but we don't know in what capacity) or for phones to be classified as PC's. Either way, it's not that unthinkable that the days of Windows PC domination may be numbered. These are exciting times.
  • Reply 64 of 266
    Nokia really is an example of a company started by visionaries, and killed by idiots. Jobs won't be around forever, and this could be the future of Apple someday. I don't think any company is immune to having numskulls drive it into the ground.
  • Reply 65 of 266
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I disagree at this point if I were a handset manufacturer I would not go anywhere near Android. Android is splintering into an unorganized mess.

I agree WP 7 needs more work. But this is a fresh start for both MS and Nokia. Together they can have both the advantages of the Android model and Apple's model.

Nokia and MS can build a stable organized platform across many different types of phones and many different price points.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

If the choice was between Android and Windows, I would have went with Android. Windows 7 is a big improvement over previous attempts, but Microsoft has been very slow to bring to market improvements. Further, it is years behind.

• Reply 66 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

Bunch of absolute muppets at Nokia, they have been completely and uttlerly stitched up and ass raped by Microsoft and there new CEO who came from there and is likely still under contract with Microsoft.

So true!!!

Quote:

Windows Phone 7 is without a shadow of a doubt completely and utterly shit.

hmmm... not so much

Quote:

Nokia is doomed, I have not seen such a stupid decision in a long long long time. Bunch of fucking idiots the lot of them.

True again.

2 out of 3 aint bad
  • Reply 67 of 266
    This is a lot of pessimism with no evidence to support it. MS has given no indication that they are taking over Nokia. MS doesn't have any expertise in making phones, so how are they going to run Nokia?

We've seen what lengths Apple has had to go to learn how to make phones. MS hasn't done any of that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I tend to agree with this assessment. I'm not sure why everyone else is being so positive about it.

By the time they get it all sorted out it will be too late and too many people will have left. At the very least we are going to see a years worth of "integration" while Windows Phone 7 is re-done so it works internationally.

This is horrible news for Nokia. They are going to be eviscerated because they bought into a crazy pipe dream of Win Phone 7 dominance that was sold to them by the oldest group of snake-oil salesmen in the business.

• Reply 68 of 266
    Come on, Windows phone 7 is ugly as sin.

I don't know anyone who would actually want one.

A windows phone 7 handset is worth maybe $200, but not high end at all. Can get a proper phone for that
  • Reply 69 of 266
    This isn't true. Nokia will have direct input into WP. MS will tailor WP to Nokia's line of phones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

How do you differentiate yourself in the Windows cloner market

• Reply 70 of 266
    Its a lot more organized than the widgets floating around the Android screen.

Quote:

Come on, Windows phone 7 is ugly as sin.

I don't know anyone who would actually want one.

A windows phone 7 handset is worth maybe $200, but not high end at all. Can get a proper phone for that

• Reply 71 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

It is as if the Microsoft guy they got is on a mission to destroy the company so it could be bought by Microsoft in the future so Microsoft can back stab their partners and release their own phone.

Wow, now that you mention it, I can really see this trajectory, although that's probably not the official plan (and Nokia is already pretty cheap--Apple could buy it with their cash reserves and still have many billions left over, if they wanted to).

It's interesting to see what Helsinki-based blogger/analyst (and former Nokia employee) Horace Dediu has to say about this deal:

http://www.asymco.com/2011/02/11/in-...bile-partners/
  • Reply 72 of 266
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Nokia, they have been completely and uttlerly stitched up and ass raped by Microsoft

Wow, tell us what you really think
  • Reply 73 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

So one declining giant embracing another.....

Isn't it amazing that two companies that struggle with change think that together they will create something better?

[cough] HP/Compaq [cough]
  • Reply 74 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Isn't it amazing that two companies that struggle with change think that together they will create something better?

[cough] HP/Compaq [cough]

It seems that no matter what they companies do pretty much everyone here will say it?s the wrong move. If we say that both MS and Nokia are going into an eventual dead ends by themselves why do we say that by teaming up and feeding off each other?s strengths they are still heading in the wrong directions. A relevant example is Apple and NeXT, but faltering in their own ways were able to make a success from the union. Why do we say that HP buying Palm will have to be a disaster? Why does Nokia and MS have to be a disaster? Just because not all mergers and symbiotic business relationships have proven to be successful compared to the competition? That isn?t a solid argument for me. This is certainly better than what they had going before.
  • Reply 75 of 266
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

True. I can't imagine it's going to be anything but a stop-gap solution until Microsoft can provide them with an ARM tablet OS.

Or maybe they will just tell Microsoft to move WP7 to a tablet. I wouldn't be surprised if they had that kind of power in this relationship.

By the time they can get a tablet released WinPhone 7 might even have copy and paste.
  • Reply 76 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

It seems that no matter what they companies do pretty much everyone here will say it?s the wrong move. If we say that both MS and Nokia are going into an eventual dead ends by themselves why do we say that by teaming up and feeding off each other?s strengths they are still heading in the wrong directions. A relevant example is Apple and NeXT, but faltering in their own ways were able to make a success from the union. Why do we say that HP buying Palm will have to be a disaster? Why does Nokia and MS have to be a disaster? Just because not all mergers and symbiotic business relationships have proven to be successful compared to the competition? That isn?t a solid argument for me. This is certainly better than what they had going before.

The difference is this:

Apple + Next involved Steve Jobs

Microsoft + Nokia involves Steve Ballmer (or just M$ in general)

Nuff said...

(if that isn't enough for you then read the blog with the link posted by Retrogusto - http://www.asymco.com/2011/02/11/in-...bile-partners/ )
  • Reply 77 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

Symbian was about on par with PalmOS. They were good OSes in their heyday but died a slow painful death. If Palm hung onto PalmOS too long, then Nokia really held onto Symbian too long.

I am surprised Nokia went with Microsoft and not Google. Windows Phone 7 offers all the disadvantages of Android but at a cost.

I think they may have faceplanted into an iceberg while jump from the burning platform towards the icy waters. If they survive the head trauma, maybe the iceberg will provide stable land for them.
  • Reply 78 of 266
    I've been giving this some thought and reading all the comments. I still think this move won't be good for Nokia, but it might be good for M$. Here's what I think:
    • There are only two companies with unified strategies: Apple/iOS, HP/WebOS

• There are only three companies that can differentiate themselves from the vast ocean of "me too" products: Apple, HP, RIM

• Android is fragmented. They've already lost control of the platform. That doesn't mean it won't keep selling however. But it is a race to the bottom.

• WP7 is just another "me too" platform, and also a race to the bottom.

• Apple will retain the high end, the quality device, and the profits. They will continue setting the bar high and everyone else will race to catch up.

• HP stands a chance at success. We'll have to wait and see. I hope so. I would love to see HP be Apple's main competitor.

• RIM is the only other that makes the whole widget, but they seem lost. I don't know what will happen to them.

• Android and WP7 will duke it out on hundreds of underwhelming devices that plenty of sheeple will buy. Droid fans will scream "it's open" and M$ fans will still be clueless.

In a nutshell: Apple stays Apple. HP & RIM duke it out. Android & WP7 duke it out. Two possible outcomes:
    1. We'll have a 5-way tie, with 20% market share each.

2. Apple/iOS, HP/WebOS, Google/Android win, each with 33% share, while RIM & WP7 die, but M$ keeps pumping $ into WP7 for 20 years while remaining in denial.

• Reply 79 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battlehamster View Post

I think they may have faceplanted into an iceberg while jump from the burning platform towards the icy waters. If they survive the head trauma, maybe the iceberg will provide stable land for them.

Actually... it's more like Nokia was able to land on an iceberg only to see M$ Titanic heading straight at it!
  • Reply 80 of 266
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    Nokia!

You have entered the dojo of fail!

Prepare to fight!