Using Intego

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all, I know Mac doesn't get viruses, but I'd like to ask how many are using Intego AV as a precaution? If so, what do you think of it and does it play nice in your Mac? If you don't plan on using it, what's your opinion? Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twl845 View Post

Hi all, I know Mac doesn't get viruses, but I'd like to ask how many are using Intego AV as a precaution? If so, what do you think of it and does it play nice in your Mac? If you don't plan on using it, what's your opinion? Thanks in advance for your input.

OK as of this post 30 people have read my inquiry with no responses, so I am assuming no one has any knowledge of Intego AV and/or doesn't use it. Let my ask a slightly different question. If anyone uses any AV with their Mac, can they please give me a response. The reason I ask is because I am getting ready to buy my first iMac converting from being a pc user, and am curious if people use an AV even though Mac's aren't supposed to get viruses. I understand Mac's can get trojans, and they are as lethal as viruses sometimes, so from experience I believe some protection is in order. I would rather run a anti spyware or AV for 10 years for nothing than be caught naked once.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Simple. Go buy your iMac and enjoy. You do not need any anti-virus software.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Thanks JupiterOne, I will. After 13 years of using carefully chosen layered security on a PC it's just hard to adjust. (LOL)
  • Reply 4 of 11
    twl845twl845 Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sanalsokagi[TSDE] View Post

Best Ideas to Make Your Hair Grow Faster

Find your own thread.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Well, I'm not so sure! Like twl845, I have been using IBM/windows computers since 1983. Have built a number of Intel/windows computers. Two years ago, I purchased an iMac and have no security software running on it except what is provided by the OS. However, I am on the internet constantly, and do worry about catching something. I read that mac's now can get Trojan Horse viruses. In fact in the last couple of days I have been getting a pop up window stating that I have a virus on my iMac. It requests that I click on their remedy for this problem. I haven't opened this popup but simply delete it. However, it came from somewhere and not likely from my iMac itself. Thus, I am not sanguine about the believe that macs don't need AV software.

I'm looking at Intego AV as twl845 was. In the meantime, iIt would be helpful if some of you experienced mac users would wade in on this topic.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mamoose124 View Post

Well, I'm not so sure!

We are.

Quote:

I read that mac's now can get Trojan Horse viruses.

Mac OS 10.6.6 automatically catches all known trojan horses and tells you not to run them if you try. There is no threat.

Quote:

In fact in the last couple of days I have been getting a pop up window stating that I have a virus on my iMac.

Screenshot thereof? 99.9999999% chance it's just a useless browser popup that you can turn on pop-up blocker to get rid of, but I'd love to see a screenshot to confirm.

Screenshotting just that window is Command+Shift+4+Space, and then hover over and click the window you want captured. Then upload it here.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

I am using Intego AV on my MBP and iMac. I have not had any problems with it and so far it plays very well with my Macs. I just renewed for another year recently.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    twl845twl845 Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vucenic_j View Post

I am using Intego AV on my MBP and iMac. I have not had any problems with it and so far it plays very well with my Macs. I just renewed for another year recently.

Thanks for the response.I understand Intego AV is a keeper. With respect to your renewal, is a renewal cheaper than the initial price? Have you ever had any infections?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Thanks for the reassurance. I guess my years with Intel/Microsoft have increased the level of my paranoia! I will send you a screenshot the next time it pops up.

Again, thanks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We are.

Mac OS 10.6.6 automatically catches all known trojan horses and tells you not to run them if you try. There is no threat.

Screenshot thereof? 99.9999999% chance it's just a useless browser popup that you can turn on pop-up blocker to get rid of, but I'd love to see a screenshot to confirm.

Screenshotting just that window is Command+Shift+4+Space, and then hover over and click the window you want captured. Then upload it here.

• Reply 10 of 11
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mamoose124 View Post

Thanks for the reassurance. I guess my years with Intel/Microsoft have increased the level of my paranoia! I will send you a screenshot the next time it pops up.

Again, thanks.

I suspect most of those pop-ups are scareware designed to trick marks into paying to downloading useless crapware or real viruses. Ignor them all. Especially on Windows machines.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Thanks for the response.I understand Intego AV is a keeper. With respect to your renewal, is a renewal cheaper than the initial price? Have you ever had any infections?

Yes, the renewal was cheaper. No, I have not had any infections on my Macs. Intego AV allows installing on 2 computers, so I have it on my MacBook Pro and my iMac.