Nokia uses Apple's Macs to announce Microsoft partnership

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Well, sorry for being slightly off-topic, but the real topic is really just a misunderstanding of the SLA.

I am a little confused about a statement I found on Bloomberg today: "Nokia said its new organization structure will have two units: Smart Devices and Mobile Phones."

As somebody who was a die hard Nokia user until 2007, I have always been under the impression, that they always had that separation...

Any explanations?
  • Reply 22 of 69
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

This is a pitiful article for AI

Yes. Unfortunately it is just par for Mr. Dilger.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Exactly... They are doing nothing wrong. This is really a pathetic attempt at finding controversy where it doesn't exist...

I didn't get the sense that Nokia was doing anything "wrong," but rather that they were using iMovie to hype up what great technology leaders their new leader/partners are, but can't use MS editing tools.

How is Microsoft going to lead them away from their currently burning platform if they can't even deliver worthy tools to promote their partnership?
  • Reply 24 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revilre View Post

...the same track may be included in Final Cut Studio and they never used iMovie at all. Probably the case.

That is certainly possible. I do believe that all of Apple's media creation applications have access to the same media library on your Mac. I know GarageBand and iMovie do. Why not Logic and Final Cut?
  • Reply 25 of 69
    I think it's time to remove AppleInsider from my RSS reader.

There's nothing "Insider" or "Apple" about this site any more.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Sorry, but I have to chime in with the rest of them. This was a long story for a non-issue. At most, this was worthy of 2 lines ? a verbal wink. But not this. Whenever I click a link at AI these days, and I see this particular author, I move on with even reading. Some of what he writes is interesting, but he buries it beneath piles and piles and piles and piles of words and background and often-misleading opinion. It's best to go elsewhere and see if someone else is reporting on the topic, so I can actually feel like I'm not getting a very skewed, hand-taylored version of the story.

Come on, AI. You guys used to be better than this.
  • Reply 27 of 69
    Daniel, your most recent arrogant twitter post states that Samsung Exyno Mobile Chips sound like a recovering alcoholic. After reading the articles that you attempt to put together, you seem to act like one yourself. Because I can't think of any sober person that would think like you do.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    Am I the only one that noticed Ballmer saying "Nawkia"??? Rule #1 for press announcements - get the name of your product/partner/concept right. What a completely out of touch CEO Ballmer has become. It's absolutely stunning that the board at Micro$oft continues to let this guy run the ship.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    Nokia is fine... but Google, a staunch enemy of Apple and everything that Apple does -- these days -- used a Mac in front of the whole audience to present their Honeycomb launch presentation during the event. Wow, I thought that was crazy. They should avoid all apple products when launching a competing product!
  • Reply 30 of 69
    Nobody said that they violated the licensing agreement--I can't believe how many people missed the point. The point of quoting the license is just to demonstrate that it was content from Apple. It's just kind of funny that they use Apple software, hardware and content to trumpet the virtues of Microsoft, the same way it was funny when the news came out that the animated "Intel Inside" ad years ago had been made on a PowerPC Mac. And it's also funny that the same music was previously used in the MBP promo video. Kinda like if the Republicans used a picture of a smiling girl in one of their pamphlets supposedly representing a young right-winger, and it turned out that the picture was one of Obama's daughters and they were assuming that nobody would figure it out. Of course, like most things vaguely funny, having to explain the joke takes away most of the fun.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Nobody said that they violated the licensing agreement--I can't believe how many people missed the point.

Exactly. Does anybody here actually bother to read what the article says (and doesn't say) before going off half-cocked (or in some cases "not-cocked") with another anti-AI diatribe. Just pitiful.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When Nokia wanted to convince the world that it would bring consumers "stellar hardware and innovative software and great services" in its partnership with Microsoft, it turned to Apple's Mac-only iMovie to get word out.

I wonder who is going to get fired for this. The good thing is that Apple gets free publicity.
  • Reply 33 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Nobody said that they violated the licensing agreement--I can't believe how many people missed the point. The point of quoting the license is just to demonstrate that it was content from Apple. It's just kind of funny that they use Apple software, hardware and content to trumpet the virtues of Microsoft, the same way it was funny when the news came out that the animated "Intel Inside" ad years ago had been made on a PowerPC Mac. And it's also funny that the same music was previously used in the MBP promo video. Kinda like if the Republicans used a picture of a smiling girl in one of their pamphlets supposedly representing a young right-winger, and it turned out that the picture was one of Obama's daughters and they were assuming that nobody would figure it out. Of course, like most things vaguely funny, having to explain the joke takes away most of the fun.

You need to read more carefully

" it turned to Apple's Mac-only iMovie to get word out, apparently violating the non-commercial use clause in Apple's licensing agreement. "
  • Reply 34 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post

Exactly. Does anybody here actually bother to read what the article says (and doesn't say) before going off half-cocked (or in some cases "not-cocked") with another anti-AI diatribe. Just pitiful.

Obviously you didn't read the article either

" it turned to Apple's Mac-only iMovie to get word out, apparently violating the non-commercial use clause in Apple's licensing agreement. "
  • Reply 35 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blur35mm View Post

Obviously you didn't read the article either

D'oh! You're right.
  • Reply 36 of 69
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Am I the only one that noticed Ballmer saying "Nawkia"??? Rule #1 for press announcements - get the name of your product/partner/concept right. What a completely out of touch CEO Ballmer has become. It's absolutely stunning that the board at Micro$oft continues to let this guy run the ship.

Don't feel quite so smug. Nokia is a Finnish company. Ballmer's pronunciation is much closer to the proper Finnish pronunciation than the way Americans pronounce it. Say "noh-KEE-uh" in Finland and they'll know you're an idiot. That even goes for Nokia's new CEO. In fact, English speakers mangle a good number of brand names, even in commercials. Braun is pronounced "brown" in German, not "brawn" as you hear in the ads.
  • Reply 37 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grkhetan View Post

Nokia is fine... but Google, a staunch enemy of Apple and everything that Apple does -- these days -- used a Mac in front of the whole audience to present their Honeycomb launch presentation during the event. Wow, I thought that was crazy. They should avoid all apple products when launching a competing product!

Why it is so hard to believe google using Mac, actually many Android developers use Mac, read Android SDK documents, many screenshots are from Mac.
  • Reply 38 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Of course you would need to weasel a full article out of this. Stupid move by Nokia, but even more stupid of you make an article of about it. You don't even understand that it doesn't violate ANY licensing agreement. And how do you know that they just didn't rip that Apple track and make the movie on a PC? That's right. You don't. Because you're a liar. You're just creating controversy as usual.

Maybe instead of trying to make up lies, posting about these concept phones by Nokia?

The tone of your posts (and name) are reminding me of Lord Haw-Haw during World War II. He was the German announcer with the British accent who berated the English people about how foolish they were for not bowing down to the superior Germans. You're a regular little Tokyo Rose:

"Come on you handsome Apple using GI's, lay down your iPhones and join the happy Droid hordes on their march to world domination."
  • Reply 39 of 69
    This just in....ATT and Verizon use Windows based PCs to tender a sale for an Apple iPhone.

Who cares?
  • Reply 40 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The tone of your posts (and name) are reminding me of Lord Haw-Haw during World War II. He was the German announcer with the British accent who berated the English people about how foolish they were for not bowing down to the superior Germans. You're a regular little Tokyo Rose:

"Come on you handsome Apple using GI's, lay down your iPhones and join the happy Droid hordes on their march to world domination."

My god. Even the commenters are being brainwashed by brainDED. I never said anything about a Droid. I never said anything about Nokia for that matter. You actually believe that because I don't bow down to these foolish articles I don't like the iPhone. You're just putting words into my mouth. And who the hell cares other than you about my username? Maybe I chose this name because I didn't have the time or even care to make a better one. Because I don't spend all day on here like some. You have nothing better to do than to judge my USERNAME.