Banned from MacRumors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm sure you've seen this topic here before, but I just wanted to express my frustration somewhere!

I've been using MacRumors for about 4 years now, constantly posting and reading it just about everyday. Today however, I decided to post about Verizon and all the hype their getting for re-releasing the iPhone 4. Needless to say, my post was a bit argumentative, but at least it got an interesting conversation going.

So, one of the users basically started to demean me because of my post and reported it as a waste of time - next thing I know it got moved to the 'wasteland', almost immediately! This lead me to believe that she's friends with one of the mods or something.

I also wanted to note that this same user is known to demean/harass people quite often in her posts (she has over 20000 posts). So, as I was ticked off, I sent her a message basically telling her that it was wrong what she did and that she's bitch in almost all of he posts.

Next thing, she tells me that she's going to report me for harassing her - boom I'm banned - INSTANTLY!

This is from a person that CONSTANTLY demeans/harasses people in her replies and just treats them like shit.

What kind of management is MacRumors running? I'm just shocked that I'd get banned just like that without any warning or anything after I'd been a dedicated member on that forum for roughly 4 years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xil3 View Post

Next thing, she tells me that she's going to report me for harassing her - boom I'm banned - INSTANTLY!

This is from a person that CONSTANTLY demeans/harasses people in her replies and just treats them like shit.

Was it jessica. ? Yeah, she never liked me, but at least she was always rational and gave things some actual thought, unlike most members with 1-4,000 posts.

Quote:

What kind of management is MacRumors running? I'm just shocked that I'd get banned just like that without any warning or anything after I'd been a dedicated member on that forum for roughly 4 years.

Why do you think I'm here? May not be as large a forum, but at least we're all sane here.

Okay, mostly.

Edit: Just took a gander at the Forum Spy for the first time in a few years. MacDawg's a mod now! At least that's progress.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Was it jessica. ? Yeah, she never liked me, but at least she was always rational and gave things some actual thought, unlike most members with 1-4,000 posts.

Why do you think I'm here? May not be as large a forum, but at least we're all sane here.

Okay, mostly.

Edit: Just took a gander at the Forum Spy for the first time in a few years. MacDawg's a mod now! At least that's progress.

Yeah, it was jessica - guess it was obvious. She's the only female with 20k posts that tends to demean people in her posts.

Ever since I started on that forum, I've seen her totally rip people appart, and that was ok with management, but if someone refers to her as a bitch, it's INSTA ban - ridiculous!

I sent a message to the webmaster (whoever that may be), and expressed my concerns quite verbally. I'm done with that forum though - not going to be loyal to a community that's run by a bunch of monkeys, who're obviously influenced greatly by tits (ie. jessica).
  • Reply 3 of 27
    No need to be vitriolic. Insults aren't allowed on MacRumors, and there are certainly ways to express distaste at someone's posting style without resorting to expletives.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Sorry - was just letting off some steam.

Yeah, this is the first time I snapped on MacRumors in 4 years, so I don't think it warranted a ban.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    If you do that to anyone here, I'd ban you too. Just so we're on the same page. I've got nothing to do with MacRumors.

Sending someone a personal attack in a PM is completely unacceptable. You come across as someone with a bit of a temper. You should have sent a PM to a moderator calmly explaining your position; what you did instead was highly unlikely to resolve the problem, inappropriate and rude.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Instaban might be a bit much, but going to PM for name calling is too. The best way to handle it is to report it rather than go to some sort of odd vigilante justice and harassment.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Instaban might be a bit much

Indeed; probably a 10 day ban with a six month "suspended permaban" (i.e. step out of line again within six months and ban becomes permanent) would be a good option.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    who cares. its just a forum
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

who cares. its just a forum

I'm glad I didn't have to say it. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who reports someone for using the term "bitch" is, in fact, a bitch. There are a lot of nasty PMs that go around between the weirdos in PO -- at some point you need to grow up and stop worrying so much that some dolt on an online forum doesn't like you. The whole "report to the moderator" thing is a bit middle school for these non-issues, don't you think?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who reports someone for using the term "bitch" is, in fact, a bitch.

Seriously? Reporting someone for personally attacking you in a private, hence more intimate, message makes you a bitch? I disagree. Perhaps if two people had been exchanging PMs and person "A" is carefully goading person "B" into snapping, and as soon as they do, reports them, then that person might be a bitch. Even then, it's against forum policy to attack someone; you should rise above it and ignore instead of sinking to their level.

Quote:

There are a lot of nasty PMs that go around between the weirdos in PO -- at some point you need to grow up and stop worrying so much that some dolt on an online forum doesn't like you.

Again I disagree. These "nasty" PMs should be reported.

Quote:

The whole "report to the moderator" thing is a bit middle school for these non-issues, don't you think?

No, it's one of the main points of the report to moderator mechanism; the other one being the reporting of spam.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    I think it's odd for someone to join the AI boards just to complain about the MR boards.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who reports someone for using the term "bitch" is, in fact, a bitch.

If anyone wonders why there aren't many women on some internet boards, I think it's exactly because of this kind of attitude.

I don't think it's completely unreasonable to think that sending someone an insulting PM is a form of stalking either.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

If anyone wonders why there aren't many women on some internet boards, I think it's exactly because of this kind of attitude.

I don't think it's completely unreasonable to think that sending someone an insulting PM is a form of stalking either.

This is a poor argument, and you know it: women don't hang here because the topics are uninteresting to a statistically relevant portion of them. You think women don't insult? Clearly, "Jessica" does plenty. Moreover, stalking requires repetition. Obviously, Mr. H also has a nanny mentality and thinks it is important to have one. That's fine, you can do as you please, but I think people just need to stop being such giant wimps.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

This is a poor argument, and you know it: women don't hang here because the topics are uninteresting to a statistically relevant portion of them. You think women don't insult? Clearly, "Jessica" does plenty. Moreover, stalking requires repetition. Obviously, Mr. H also has a nanny mentality and thinks it is important to have one. That's fine, you can do as you please, but I think people just need to stop being such giant wimps.

So what you're saying is... "Grow a spline."

And I'll do my own eye-roll for that one.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

OK, so it's not stalking, but using the PM facility to send insults isn't a defensible activity.

I don't know about this individual, I have yet to see this person in action over there. But the generalized suggestion (you said anyone, not just this individual) that anyone that complains must be a bitch is also another form of playground mentality, the flip side of the same thing, where people get defensive when they're told they're misbehaving, and blame it on the victim and call them a snitch or whatever. That sounds pretty childish too, in my opinion.

I'm not saying women don't insult, but generally they don't seem to be such flagrant assess about it online, and by generally, I mean there are exceptions to the rule too.

I really don't think it's too much to expect some amount civility, if we're going to pretend to be adults, and pretend we're in an allegedly advanced civilization, though the evidence of such is sometimes scant.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

I really don't think it's too much to expect some amount civility, if we're going to pretend to be adults, and pretend we're in an allegedly advanced civilization, though the evidence of such is sometimes scant.

Much of the evidence is solidly to the contrary, especially in places like this, where identities are protected and you don't have to look a person in the eye while you're insulting them. All the more reason why moderators have to be "nannies" sometimes -- because some people will always be prepared to abuse this form of social interaction.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Much of the evidence is solidly to the contrary, especially in places like this, where identities are protected and you don't have to look a person in the eye while you're insulting them.

In other words:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/

Possibly NSFW for profanity, if you're concerned about that.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

In other words:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/

Possibly NSFW for profanity, if you're concerned about that.

Profanity doesn't bother so much as how it's used.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Profanity doesn't bother so much as how it's used.

That puts it on a slippery slope right there!

Because who is going to be the judge of what bounds/standards/morals have or are been/being overstepped? Appointed by whom? Regularly reviewed? By whom? Held accountable for his/her decisions? What are the possibilities of appeal to an independent party and peer review? Etc. etc.

Failure to properly, systematically, and adequately address those concerns and others more often than not results in unchecked radicalisation, arbitrariness, and prejudice by the executives. And ultimately in a sickeningly incestuous mutual admiration society that loses touch with reality, diversity, and the outside world. Doomed to slide into operatic drama and irrelevance.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

That puts it on a slippery slope right there!

Because who is going to be the judge of what bounds/standards/morals have or are been/being overstepped? Appointed by whom? Regularly reviewed? By whom? Held accountable for his/her decisions? What are the possibilities of appeal to an independent party and peer review? Etc. etc.

Failure to properly, systematically, and adequately address those concerns and others more often than not results in unchecked radicalisation, arbitrariness, and prejudice by the executives. And ultimately in a sickeningly incestuous mutual admiration society that loses touch with reality, diversity, and the outside world. Doomed to slide into operatic drama and irrelevance.

I was thinking "as an insult," but I didn't realize that slope was so slippery.