Has Apple abandoned one of the iMacs best features?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
My iMac is in my bedroom, the last thing I want in any computer, let alone one in the bedroom, is a bloody great fan going like a siren. The Apple site says nothing on the subject, so do you reckon that the new iMac has a fan?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by mpw_amherst:

<strong>My iMac is in my bedroom, the last thing I want in any computer, let alone one in the bedroom, is a bloody great fan going like a siren. The Apple site says nothing on the subject, so do you reckon that the new iMac has a fan?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hope it has a fan. If it does and you don't like it, just clip the wires.
  • Reply 1 of 47
    It seems the iMac is using Powerbook style chips. So maybe, maybe not.

SdC
  • Reply 3 of 47
    The new iMac does not have a fan.

-S
  • Reply 4 of 47
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I would've been surprised if it had a fan. But I was surprised that Steve didn't mind not having slot loading drives.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the new iMac does not have a fan. inside info that's weeks old now said no fan for sure. all the other info about the iMac held up from this person, so i believe this is true too.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>I would've been surprised if it had a fan. But I was surprised that Steve didn't mind not having slot loading drives.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think a slot loading drive would look right on this design...

The tray closes and looks cleaner when not in use than a slot would.

Really, not a big deal anyway IMO.

Just PLEASE don't have a fan...
  • Reply 7 of 47
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    That probably already is a custom shaped drive, and they didn't want a slot in there, they wanted it to close up nicely.

Nice machine, worst expansion options to date, ie buy it, use it and when it starting to date (to outdate), you can sell it on ebay or trash it.

Apple's anti expansion, anti upgrading policy is frightening people away from the platfrom, which is VERY bad.

Now I want at least 1.6GHz G5 by MWNY or this might be the only and last computer I've ever owned.

G-news
  • Reply 8 of 47
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Almost no one except us geeks upgrades their computers. Really.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Almost no one except us geeks upgrades their computers. Really.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep, I'd say the majority of consumers (say 70 or 80%) don't upgrade their computers. This is who the iMac is targeted at. Remember, Apple isn't out to get everyone to buy an iMac just the people who's profile it fits. I think this new iMac is going to fit many peoples profile quite well. It'll reinvigorate the iMac sales (even if it scares off a few people due to it's price tag)
  • Reply 10 of 47
    [quote]Originally posted by G-News:

<strong>Apple's anti expansion, anti upgrading policy is frightening people away from the platfrom, which is VERY bad.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't agree. The typical consumer (e.g. newbie, mom & dad, non-hardcore computer user) has very little to no reason to upgrade. While my opinion is simply that, opinion; it is based on over 10 years of experience with family and friends that don't have my hardcore geek needs. Frankly, they NEVER upgrade (again, my non-geek family & friends).

Besides, the firewire and USB provides all the type of expandability/ugradeability (sp?) that any of the above group will need.

So please explain to me what group of people you think "want" an iMac need the expandability of a Powermac? Other than yourself or any of the people on AI, because come on, let's all fess up, we're all a little geek otherwise we wouldn't be hangin out on this board discussing future hardware...

• Reply 11 of 47
    astra4astra4 Posts: 46member
    I agree a fan would be most unfortunate.

And I agree also there's most likely such a fan inside, otherwise he wouldn't have failed to mention it. Sad, sad, sad....

Well, it's got the power supply inside and this graphics card and a G4, all of which make some heat,...

I'm afraid I don't believe those who say there is no fan. I bet there is one. And at the beginning it will be very quiet, but after half a year of operation, or a full year, it will start whirrling, like rrrRRRRrrrrRRRrrrrRRRRrrrrRRRrrr and then you'll just shake the thing a little bit to see if that helps, but oooooopps, you find this thing doesn't like being shaked and it shows you a big, blinking TILT TILT and starts making this noise, like Beeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppppppp and then you go and pull the plug and that will have been it...... ((((
  • Reply 12 of 47
    yeah, but remember too that the new imac doesn't have a CRT..and that's a huge thermal savings...enough to crowd in a G4 and an upgraded graphics chipset.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    I serious hope there's no fan in there: otherwise I might stick with my Cube.

The cube is one SOLID BRICK of electronics, yet is cooled with convection... niiiiice and quiet. But it's also a couple of inches off the table. Hmmm.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    The Register <a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/23563.html"; target="_blank">got to play with one</a> and they say there's a fan.

[quote]

As for noise, the new iMac does have a fan to cool the G4 and the NVidia GeForce 2MX graphics card. We're told that the design goal was to ensure the fan is no noisier than the hard disk, and Apple tells us the noise emission is a reasonable 25 decibels.

<hr></blockquote>

So much for that.

My question (as a longtime Powerbook and iBook user) is, does the fan run while the iMac is asleep? Is that true in the G4 towers? I know a friend's Rev. C iMac has the fan running even during sleep, and it's annoying; they always turn it off instead of sleeping for that reason.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    As for noise, the new iMac does have a fan to cool the G4 and the NVidia GeForce 2MX graphics card. We're told that the design goal was to ensure the fan is no noisier than the hard disk, and Apple tells us the noise emission is a reasonable 25 decibels.

quote from

<a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/23563.html"; target="_blank">http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/23563.html</a>;

Trapdoor
  • Reply 16 of 47
    tltl Posts: 33member
    [quote]So please explain to me what group of people you think "want" an iMac need the expandability of a Powermac? Other than yourself or any of the people on AI, because come on, let's all fess up, we're all a little geek otherwise we wouldn't be hangin out on this board discussing future hardware...<hr></blockquote>

The poor college student. I can't afford a Powermac, but I want a good computer, and I want to be able to have 10GBs of Mp3s and lots of movies and the ability to play the latest and greatest games!!! The 2MX is already outdated, and in two years it will be as slow as the Rage is today.

If I could upgrade the graphics card, add internal storage, and maybe up the screen size, I would buy one of the new iMacs right now. They got so damn close to making a perfect machine for me, but they didn't quite make it. It'll sell like friggin hotcakes to other people though.

ps - I have an iMac, but I don't keep it in the kitchen, nor do I look up recipies on it. I do a ton of school work on it, along with gaming, some photoshop, some iMovie, and lots of music and movies. I need a semi-powerful machine that is affordable on a college budget.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    [quote]

Apple's anti expansion, anti upgrading policy is frightening people away from the platfrom, which is VERY bad.

<hr></blockquote>

I total agree with you. This is a VERY big problem for the Macintosh platform. If people perceptions (just like Mhz) are that the iMac's aren't upgradable, then they will pass them up.

And for all of those think nobody upgrades (except for geeks) you don't know what you are talking about. Just for one example, CompUSA sell tons and tons of internal CD-R drives.

Just who do think they are selling these things to? Geeks only. They are selling to geeks, consumers, and professionals. And they are selling tons of them. When you replace a CD-ROM drive or an 8X CD-R drive with a 24X CD-R drive. Guess what? Its an upgrade.

This is what "us" upgraders are talking about and this is what people "think" they want.

Thanks

Dave

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Dave K. ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 47
    The new iMacs are amazing in every way.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    Love the new iMac!

but:

would've preferred the headphone socket on the front.

But hey! it won't stop me buying one.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    astra4astra4 Posts: 46member
    Well, there's still hope that with technological progress they will, one day, manage to dispense with the fan. I hate fans.