Apple begins shipping Verizon iPhone 4 web orders one week early

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has started shipping the first online orders for the new Verizon Wireless iPhone 4, a week earlier than it initially estimated.

Initial orders placed on February 9 were slated for delivery "on or before February 18," but shipping notices are now being sent out, specifying a "delivers by" date of February 16th.

Apple reportedly stockpiled an initial production of 2 million CDMA iPhone 4 units in December and January, reserving an unknown proportion of the initial batch for Verizon to offer to its existing customers as pre-orders February 3. That initial batch was sold out on the first day.

Apple began taking web orders on the 9th, offering either reserved in-store pickup or free delivery for those willing to wait a week or two for the new model to ship and arrive. Initial orders estimated a five day shipping delay after the ship date.

A more efficient ordering process that appeared to capably handle the demand for the new carrier prevented the long lines that dogged the initial release of iPhone 4 last summer on AT&T.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I ordered 3 V iPhones from applestore.com on Feb 4. They arrived Feb 8 and were activated and in use a few days before the official release. I was surprised.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eZorro View Post

I ordered 3 V iPhones from applestore.com on Feb 4. They arrived Feb 8 and were activated and in use a few days before the official release. I was surprised.

This article is about non-Verizon customers.

Also, in before "lackluster Verizon customer launch means more availability for switchers, so faster ship times!".
  • Reply 3 of 19
    I finally caved in and bought two iPhones last night. I justify the purchase on the profits we made over the years from AAPL stock. We've been with Verizon for years and waited years for them to carry the iPhone. We have had a Mac, a Macbook, and multiple iPods so my expectations were pretty high but I can't believe the iPhone is exceeding them.

We went to the Verizon store in Encinitas, CA and everyone was buying an Apple product. Most people were getting the iPhone but I saw an 80 year old man buying an iPad. It was unreal.

We got the lowest plan available:700 min, unlimited data and 250 msgs each. I set up my Google Voice so we will never go over the limit. My wife is a teacher so we get a 15% discount off her line as well. All in all, this will be worth it. I read a lot with the Kindle app and play games as well. It's hard to believe that GPS programs like Mapquest are free!
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This article is about non-Verizon customers.

Also, in before "lackluster Verizon customer launch means more availability for switchers, so faster ship times!".

The only 'lackluster Verrizon customer launch' is in a troll's head.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    As I posted in comments yesterday, I placed an order for the iPhone through Verizon just after 3 AM EST on the 9th. I received shipping notification yesterday with an ETA of Monday the 14th. Fedex is now saying that it's already on the truck for delivery.

• Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

Fedex is now saying that it's already on the truck for delivery.

Update: It's no longer "on the truck for delivery." It's here!
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Only 16GB, Dan? Tsk, tsk, tsk.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

As I posted in comments yesterday, I placed an order for the iPhone through Verizon just after 3 AM EST on the 9th. I received shipping notification yesterday with an ETA of Monday the 14th. Fedex is now saying that it's already on the truck for delivery.

I ordered my wife's VZW iPhone 4 through Apple at 12:06AM PST. My original ship date was "before February 18th," but it is currently in transit. Actually, it's in Hong Kong, with an ETA of 02/16. She has an AT&T iPhone 3, so she is happy for two reasons.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I doubt it was a 'more efficient ordering process' at all. Rather, only a small cut of folks on ATT have reception so horrid that they were willing to pay a high ETF to get out right away. Instead they are waiting for their contract to run out or at least down to say under $100 to get out. Which might mean this spring or summer when maybe there will be an iPhone 5 for them to switch to as well.

So outside of major areas of ATT crapness like NYC, there were no lines and few reservations and the warehouse has all that stock they would have shipped out yesterday to restock stores. They are shipping that to online orders since the stores don't need it, rather than having to wait for new produced units from China.

All that said, while not as huge a launch as the previous ATT models, apparently the ViPhone topped any single Vphone launch to date within the first 2-3 hours of preorders so that isn't shabby. If they could create one lineup of iPhones that could work with both systems, they could kill on the next release. Same with the future iPad. I know I and several friends love the idea of not having to buy another iPhone to switch carriers. Heck, make it pay as you go and it would be even better. Or say a mix, I also never call anyone so I would pay $30 a month for like a 5GB data allowance and $10 for a thousand texts (especially if you could roll both of them for like six months) and on the rare day I need voice pay $1-2 for that day. I would save a ton. Too bad the carriers would never go for it.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Holy crap! Apple is shipping via UPS? Forget about a week early, you'll get it a week late. If just two snowflakes fall from the sky, these lazy bastards stop all shipping and go on vacation. Overnight package? Doesn't matter. You'll get whenever the Hell they feel like resuming deliveries.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Holy crap! Apple is shipping via UPS? Forget about a week early, you'll get it a week late. If just two snowflakes fall from the sky, these lazy bastards stop all shipping and go on vacation. Overnight package? Doesn't matter. You'll get whenever the Hell they feel like resuming deliveries.

Holy wrong! My iPhone was shipped UPS standard overnight on Friday 2/4, and I received it early Monday, in the snow. You want to talk about the snow we've had in Boston? Two snowflakes LOL!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esp211 View Post

... I saw an 80 year old man buying an iPad. It was unreal....

It's gettin' really real now, son!
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

All that said, while not as huge a launch as the previous ATT models, apparently the ViPhone topped any single Vphone launch to date within the first 2-3 hours of preorders so that isn't shabby. If they could create one lineup of iPhones that could work with both systems, they could kill on the next release. Same with the future iPad. I know I and several friends love the idea of not having to buy another iPhone to switch carriers. Heck, make it pay as you go and it would be even better. Or say a mix, I also never call anyone so I would pay $30 a month for like a 5GB data allowance and $10 for a thousand texts (especially if you could roll both of them for like six months) and on the rare day I need voice pay $1-2 for that day. I would save a ton. Too bad the carriers would never go for it.

Just another example of why Apple becoming an MVNO makes sense. They could certainly tailor packages that that the current MNOs would never consider.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Just another example of why Apple becoming an MVNO makes sense. They could certainly tailor packages that that the current MNOs would never consider.

The fact that the iPhone is such a hit across multiple carriers (and now multiple network types) makes it impossible for it to be an MVNO, which is the opposite of the direction Apple is moving as it would be a single network piggybacking on a single network. I see only excessive cost and hardship with no payoff for Apple, short or longterm, that would make it worthwhile? but I?m certainly willing to hear a counter-argument for you (and a few others here) as to why you think it?s a good idea.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

The fact that the iPhone is such a hit across multiple carriers (and now multiple network types) makes it impossible for it to be an MVNO, which is the opposite of the direction Apple is moving as it would be a single network piggybacking on a single network. I see only excessive cost and hardship with no payoff for Apple, short or longterm, that would make it worthwhile? but I?m certainly willing to hear a counter-argument for you (and a few others here) as to why you think it?s a good idea.

Apple will not piggyback on a single-carrier - instead I think it will use the technology described in this article about "Dynamic carrier selection":

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...e_service.html

Using the above patent, an Apple MVNO could establish partnerships with multiple carriers around the world and route calls based on multiple criteria including cost. I think this may also explain, in part, the new dual-mode baseband; I think Apple is laying a foundation.

Arguing against this is that Apple is making very good money now using the established channels and models. And carriers might be reluctant to subsidize the iPhone on their networks if Apple were to establish an MVNO. Additionally, the carriers will resist any and all attempts to turn them into "dumb pipes" as such a relationship would.

The cost to establish such a network would not be prohibitive since it requires little infrastructure and Apple certainly has the cash to move on such a plan. Despite the carriers opposition, they might have a hard time saying "no" to the huge cash prepayments that Apple could dangle in front of them (which is shown to a lesser degree by the existing support provided for MVNOs). And, quite frankly, I think, despite the carrier objections, they will likely eventually become "dumb pipes" - Apple has already started to soften the ground in that regard by providing direct support for the iPhone.

Some carriers might even realize that by dropping the iPhone, they would be doing more damage to themselves if the iPhone is still in high demand. Besides, they are used to competing amongst other carriers who sell the same handset, especially outside the US.

The benefits to Apple include a more direct relationship with their phone customers plus the opportunity to work the margin between customer price paid per minute minus Apple's cost - it seems to me that Apple is looking to take a small cut of as much business as they can. This might also conceivably allow them to deliver new types of services.

Finally, there is the huge mountain of cash which I firmly believe Apple has plans to use in some manner. The pieces are really just now starting to fall into place to make this doable and I think it makes a lot more sense as an expansion of their business as opposed to other ideas I see floated around. Apple could easily tap those cash reserves to establish such a business.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

So outside of major areas of ATT crapness like NYC, there were no lines and few reservations and the warehouse has all that stock they would have shipped out yesterday to restock stores. They are shipping that to online orders since the stores don't need it, rather than having to wait for new produced units from China.

Actually, Apple's supply chain and inventory control are quite impressive. My wife's ViPhone 4 (ordered 2/9 @ 12:06AM PST) came out of China yesterday (2/11), rather than a domestic warehouse. It is currently in Alaska, with San Diego delivery scheduled "before 10:30AM" 2/16.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Good to see Apple shipping early.

Another mark of its high-end mindedness, going beyond the customers' expectations.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    I ordered 4 minutes into the launch and should be seeing my iPhone tomorrow. It was disappointing since I could have just gone to any Verizon store and picked one up this weekend. Probably won't waste time with a pre-order next time unless they let us order well in advance.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by setuid0 View Post

Actually, Apple's supply chain and inventory control are quite impressive. My wife's ViPhone 4 (ordered 2/9 @ 12:06AM PST) came out of China yesterday (2/11), rather than a domestic warehouse. It is currently in Alaska, with San Diego delivery scheduled "before 10:30AM" 2/16.

Well, I guess 0944 today is "before 1030AM February 16." My wife's phone was delivered two hours ago - two days before the promised delivery. I was able to watch the phone's progress from shipping (last Friday, US West Coast time) to early delivery. Once again I'm impressed. She, on the other hand is simply elated.