Analyst: Apple could benefit from Nokia, Microsoft partnership

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Who is going to buy the 150 million Symbian phones that Nokia thinks it's going to sell over the next two years? Who is going to develop apps for an operating system on death row?

Um, the third world?

The average semi-educated person living in a developing nation has probably heard of an iPhone, but I can tell you that unless they have a nice wage from a government job in the big cities, they will never lay eyes on an iPhone, let alone afford one.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Nokia is done.

Microsoft has never produced a successful product that is not a piece of PC or enterprise software. Their "batting average" in electronics is .001 (Maybe you can count the mice they sell). For Nokia to embrace windows for the phone, it is basically suicide.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    In Elop's famous memo he described Nokia as a 'burning Platform' then he says it's better to jump:

"Through the smoke and heat, he barely made his way out of the chaos to the platform's edge. When he looked down over the edge, all he could see were the dark, cold, foreboding Atlantic waters. As the fire approached him, the man had mere seconds to react. He could stand on the platform, and inevitably be consumed by the burning flames. Or, he could plunge 30 meters in to the freezing waters. The man was standing upon a "burning platform," and he needed to make a choice."

Seems he's implying Msft as not an ideal but desperate choice. His analogy of Msft is jumping 30m into "dark, cold, foreboding Atlantic waters.".

lol.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    WTF if it fails the others can pick up the 5% market share MS has. Its only 5% so who cares?

The way I see it this is really good for MS and Nokia. Nokia get to save a load on money by not having to develops an os. MS is gaining more devices but more importantly a partner that will actually advertise the product! There are basically no adverts for wp7, a few before xmas but since then nothing.

Everyone running android (which also tend to have wp7 as well) also gains as it helps stop Google having control over them.

All in all though, nobodys in that bad a place as the markets growing so everyones making more money. Apple may have taken a large share of the market, but they also took us from a world where people paid £60 for a phone to one where a lot of people now pay £500.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Nokia is done.

Microsoft has never produced a successful product that is not a piece of PC or enterprise software. Their "batting average" in electronics is .001 (Maybe you can count the mice they sell). For Nokia to embrace windows for the phone, it is basically suicide.

XBox 360? Managed to beat Sony with that.

Kinect? Managed to outsell Apple with that.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

@nht - before you make such ridiculous posts you really need to get yourself and education. First, MSFT has lost BILLIONS on the xbox. Only the deluded would call that a success. Second, as to Kinect, its a peripheral device! Not a standalone product so you are trying to compare it to Apples' sales of what? Also, now try to pay attention, MSFT didn't develop the technology in Kinect, they bought it. So your point is what? In the future, before you post, please try to have a better understanding of the subject matter at hand.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:

Kinect out sold ALL of Apple ? Thats iMac, MBP, MBA, Mac Mini, Apple TV, iPod, iPhone and iPad.

Is that what you infer ?
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:

The 360 has done a little better than break even. As you say, much more successful than the PS3 in terms of profits.

Don't think you can compare the Kinect to any Apple product.

C.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Of course Apple will benefit. So will Android. Symbian has far more similarities to these two operating systems than it does to Windows Phone 7. I can see a lot of Symbian users jumping to iOS or Android when its time to upgrade and Symbian isn't a viable choice. For that matter, now that Nokia has announced its intention to kill off Symbian in the next two years, I don't even know why anybody would bother staying with Nokia anyway.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Nokia has the license to customize WP7. Actually, they claim they'll be working in partnership with MS to that purpose. So, I'm aready assuming that the WP7 OS we'll find on Nokia phones will be to some degree different (albait compatible, I really hope) from the one on other hardware producers.

I also think it will be quite likely we'll see other features I can't really understand why are currently missing in WP7, such as thetering and Sync with Outlook.

In other words, I think this degree of exclusivity may be enough to generate that uniqueness that is indeed needed to compete against the iPhone.