Apple's iPad "running far ahead" in enterprise adoption

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 107
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by felipur View Post

I agree 3rd party app management is a problem right now. Largely this is because Apple has pushed developers into a very consumer friendly licensing model (all my family's devices and all my family's machines with one license) and this model doesn't work very well for institutional purchases.

Exactly, So contact the dev directly and "contract" a version for your enterprise with a mutually agreeable volume license, then deploy it yourself internally. They can get a nice check from your company for forwarding a version of their App with a different splash screen pasted into the .nib. All for the price of managing a branch in their repository just for the custom .nib.

Quote:

I suspect Apple will create a new kind of institutional account where multiple licenses are pooled and installation decrements the available count while delete, remote wipe, possibly inactivity increments the count. Possibly they could go to a keyserver type model where running the app requests a key before it will run and releases it on quit but that may be too intrusive for a mobile device where connectivity isn't guaranteed.

However they do it, there are going to be a lot of back end changes required to make it work and that may take some time. Apple needs to come up with a solution for education (think classrooms of ipads) and that's going to be the same solution they will peddle to enterprises.

Lets hope on most of those points.
  • Reply 102 of 107
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    --deleted--
  • Reply 103 of 107
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Not entirely. As I've already pointed out, Apple is sending engineers to these sites to find out what their needs are, at least in relation to iPhone and iPad use. This is a new thing for Apple, and reflects what HP used to do when they were known as an engineering company rather than a marketing one, as they are now. In fact HP was bitterly accused of being oblivious to the business world because of it, so they changed. Of course, they became much larger as a result, so that accusation was correct in a way. But then, they also split off their test and measurement group shortly after.

But Apple IS concerned with corporate America, and I assume corporate elsewhere. But not so much with Mac hardware. And I believe that it's where the misconception comes from.

If I am reading your reponse correctly I would have to agree. Apple may not have helped me much but they have been rather curious about what I have been doing. The problem is I am not (or my employer) going to just hand Apple answers for other businesses (including our competitiors) to use.
  • Reply 104 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

If I am reading your reponse correctly I would have to agree. Apple may not have helped me much but they have been rather curious about what I have been doing. The problem is I am not (or my employer) going to just hand Apple answers for other businesses (including our competitiors) to use.

As you agree with me you must have read my post correctly.
  • Reply 105 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In October of last year, Apple CEO Steve Jobs said the iPad was "being grabbed out of our hands," despite the fact that the company had yet to push the iPad "real hard in business."

This alone is why this is even a story. The iPad was conceived and designed as a consumer device, whereas the Playbook, Galaxy Tab, Streak, etc. all appear to be targeting the business/enterprise market, but are not getting much attention--at least compared to the iPad. Presumably/hopefully, with all this interest in the enterprise-osphere over the iPad, Apple will develop enterprise tools in upcoming versions of iOS.
  • Reply 106 of 107
    We are using MobiLock MDM Solution for managing our iPads at office premises. It's simple and cost-effective.