Source: Intel error pinches Apple's MacBook Pro updates but delays minor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Hi

I've just read on at danish techblog, that the blog has received a mail from an employee in a big official danish Apple reseller, in which it is stated that the reseller won't receive any more of the current gen. MBPs, and that they will receive the next batch of MBPs on March 1st.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clickmyface View Post

"Not all" will be effected seems to imply that the next 13" MacBook Pro won't include Sandy, which is going to upset me. I have a white Macbook from 2006 that has a 2.0Ghz Core2Duo Apple, I do not want to buy essentially the same processor 5 years later.

Also, I still call BS on Intel's claim that only ports 2-5 are impacted. How convenient that out of the 6 SATA ports, the 2 most commonly used are magically OK, thus avoiding a full recall.

The first two ports are a new design that provide SATA 3.

The affected ports are SATA 2 ports, which are a different design.

There's a single overloaded transistor in the SATA2 interface on the chip that dies. The fix is to merely route by it, as it's not actually needed. This required a high-level metal layer change on the chips, hence why the fix is going to be available very soon - partially made chips could be continued to be made with the new metal layer rather than starting at the transistor level.

I would rather hope that Apple aren't still going to use the old Core 2 Duo in their next 13" MacBook Pro. It's Sandy Bridge or nothing now.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    a Sandy Bridge mini?
  • Reply 24 of 32
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think these new Sandy Bridge chips are going to be the best thing to happen to laptops since the original Core 2 duos. It will be a good revision to buy imho. Also with SSDs becoming more affordable at the same time, even more so. One of these babies may last 3 years before being significantly bested.

I am also very interested to see what they can do with the iMac. With no HD and Sandy Bridge's on-board graphics, could they possibly get it down to one fan? Or none?!
  • Reply 25 of 32
    I purchased a $1799 15" MacBook Pro this weekend. I could not be more happy with it.

Upgraded from a black MacBook 13" 2.4 GHz. I don't think the Sandy Bridge MacBook Pros will be much more than a speed bump. The only possible regret will be a 1680 x 1050 display as standard. I prepare income tax returns and develop websites in the "off" season and I wanted a new computer for the Bootcamp so I can run my proprietary Windows tax software.

I can sell the 13" BlackBook and also a 2.33 GHz MacBook Pro and get back half my cost. I don't think there will be new MacBook Pros until April. Just stating for the record. Good day.

I love this MacBook Pro!

Looking forward to Ivy Bridge!!
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Did i mention how much I love this new MacBook Pro!

Apple may not be on the frontier of new technology with Intel Extreme but their products are superb.

They combine Intel tech with usability to provide a product that is unparalleled.

By 2012 we will have 4 core Ivy bridge in laptops!!

WTF! Do y'all dig this?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

I wanted a new computer for the Bootcamp so I can run my proprietary Windows tax software.

I assume you are aware of VMware Fusion and Parallels - both of which allow you to run both the Mac OS and your Windows environment at the same time?

Right this minute I am working with my tax software in Windows 7, while I polish some code in Xcode and reply to this post.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    If the people at FixIt discover the logic board in the upcoming MacBook Pros is one affected by the SATA bug, this is definite a revision to skip or be one where you definitely get the AppleCare.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

If the people at FixIt discover the logic board in the upcoming MacBook Pros is one affected by the SATA bug, this is definite a revision to skip or be one where you definitely get the AppleCare.

Hell, Apple could carve ports 2-5 off the board if they wanted to and just leave ports 0-1 on there. They only use 2 SATA ports, ODD and HD. Considering the speculation about them dropping the optical, they may only need 1 SATA slot. More troubles w/those ports could always come to light, but currently those 2 are not problematic and companies could make systems w/them if they chose.

Moot point really since Intel has begun shipping the new mobos, they just aren't up to full speed on it yet.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Yes, using Fusion. It grabs the bootcamp partition and sets up easily. Thanks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

I assume you are aware of VMware Fusion and Parallels - both of which allow you to run both the Mac OS and your Windows environment at the same time?

Right this minute I am working with my tax software in Windows 7, while I polish some code in Xcode and reply to this post.

• Reply 31 of 32
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

a Sandy Bridge mini?

Imo they need to refresh anything still using core2duo asap
  • Reply 32 of 32
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Imo they need to refresh anything still using core2duo asap

There is no way that their entire lineup won't be switched to Sandy Bridge prior to the holidays. Whatever lands in the MacBook can land in the Mac Mini. The MBPs will clearly all get SB. The Air has several options available, and that's even before we get the ULVs later this year. Honestly if we get to September and still have c2d chips in these products I'll be amazed.