Microsoft paying Nokia billions to adopt Windows Phone platform

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

A marriage made in hell.

I don't see myself switching to a Nokia phone running Windows Phone anytime soon, but I wouldn't call it a marriage made in hell. It's pretty certain to help both companies.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think Microsoft should should just buy out Nokia already, get even more in savings and keep it all in-house.

Having them a separate entity might very well push Nokia hardware innovation faster.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    This deal seems to make good business sense for both Nokia and Microsoft. Nokia gets a modern smartphone OS while Microsoft gets the distribution of the world's largest mobile handset manufacturer. Seems like a win/win to me. Guess time will tell and both companies will no doubt be hedging their bets.

It will be interesting to see what happens now that HP has re-entered the fray. In my opinion, there are only three platforms that can successfully make money. The contenders are Apple, Google, Microsoft, and HP...
  • Reply 24 of 60
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Certain people didn't notice the admonishment to stop the political talk, all the political posts are being turfed to Political Outsider. Next time, sarcasm or not, joke or not, please leave the politics out unless it is actually on topic to the article.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    I keep reading this Nokia deal is going to put Microsoft into the #2 smartphone os position. So basically, this means everyone who owns a Symbian based Nokia smartphone is going to buy a crap Nokia Windows Phone.

Windows Phone has been out in Europe and the a lot of the rest of the world for quite some time and no one is buying it. Why would people suddenly buy a Windows Phone just because it is from Nokia? It makes no sense based on the facts.

My guess is, very few people will be buying Nokia smart phones from this point on; Symbian is a dead end. Window Phone is a failure today and is not going to magically become popular because the new cloner phone says Nokia on it.

Apple and Android as so far ahead at this point there is no catching up. Nokia signed a deal with the devil and will die because of it, like all Microsoft "partners" do. Elop is clearly a trojan horse in the hostile take over of Nokia by Microsoft. Elop is already bringing in more softies as i write this.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Good software devs can move from platform to platform without a lot of heartache. It's part of the profession.

Sure. And i suppose you hire a lot of 10 years of expereince Unix/Linux/MacOSX expert to work on your .net project, right ?

Of course you can, and of course they can become eventually very productive, but you wouldn't hire them.

But this is not really the point; the point is that you worked 10 years on an OS kernel whose primary goal (originally) was to keep away Microsoft from the telephone market (and it succed quite well in this). Today your boss come and says: everything you have done was crap, we married microsoft, we will use their solutions, not yours.

You just pissed off 10 thousands engineers, you made their experience useless, their mission null; you just froze their motivation. This is a recipe for failure, the failure that come when you ignore the company culture.

Microsoft still need those engineers to make products.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I want all of you guys, and everyone else for that matter, to cut this out right now, or I'll remove all of your posts here. Is that understood?

Your tone is unnecessarily offensive. There's no need for that. You really should stop talking to people as though they are children.

Just delete the darn posts and move on, please.

PS: JeffDM's posts on this are far more mature, for the record.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    See Note at bottom of my text to explain the heading... (but please read what I am saying about the deal first!)

The Microsoft - Nokia deal may be "worth" a number measured in the 'B's but this includes summing up all of the cross licencing arrangements, and the reduction of overheads through developer layoffs at Nokia. Then there are joint marketing campaigns as someone already said, but actual cash transfers are probably minimal compared to the loss of revenue in at least the short term.

However, this deal is clearly heavily weighted in Microsoft's favour. They get two years worth of exposure as a "main provider" and market share on the back of Nokia's failing glory. At the end of that time, they don't really care what happens to "Know-Kyer" as Ballmer calls them so intelligently (it's 'o' as 'o' is in 'box' in case you don't know). By then half the idiots in the world will have been blasted with so many adverts telling them that MS powers the market leader in mobile phones that they will buy them on anything and forget Android.

(I used some irony in that paragraph - I didn't think Ballmer said anything intelligent at all, just in case you, dear reader, jump to any conclusions).

As for Nokia, they get Elop. They give up their software division, Symbian, and independence. They lose market share hand over fist - first because Elop has dissed his own phones, and secondly because WM7 is so bad that when they launch phones with it on few will buy them.

Elop is clearly making the mistake that he thinks the whole world loves Microsoft as much as do Microsoft employees! He must have had quite a culture shock when reality bit him on the bum and instead of Nokia's stock price rising 25% it FELL the same amount! ROFLMAO! I just feel sorry for anyone at Nokia right now. But I bet Finnish and other large European pension funds are selling Nokia shares now hand over fist as we speak...

Note:

Doesn't anyone read before posting these days? It's one knee jerk reaction after another. A few people need to look up irony in the dictionary - the OP was comparing the latest most ridiculous thing he had ever heard of with the last most ridiculous thing he had ever heard of. In other words, he didn't believe either ridiculous thing, he just used one to illustrate the other along the lines of "he's as fast as light" "as loud as a bomb" "as thoughtless as a knee jerk reaction" and so on. Come one, this is supposed to be a place where clever people bring their intelligence with them!
  • Reply 29 of 60
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Gotta announce it. They need at least 6 months to a year to get everyone moving in a new direction.

At least they already have WP7 prototypes. They actually look pretty nice. I like the colors and they look metallic so I'm hoping they have good build quality.

Are these prototypes or just renderings?

this early announcement is stupid no matter how you look at it. This essentially killed the Symbian market, which although in decline, was not dead. At the same time, WP7 is not a guarantee for success. So they created a situation where they killed/will kill any revenue stream related to Symbian, need to wait at least half year to a year before new revenue stream can begin, with no guarantee the new stream will be there anyway.

If Symbian was already just hanging on by a thread, and Nokia gasping for air, announcing this would have made sense to offer a future vision. But this is not needed at the moment. They could have worked on WP7 in secret until relatively close to shipping the product, thus giving themselves at least a chance to capture some of the customers jumping the Symbian ship.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Since Microsoft is willing, and able, to spend money on this mobile phone business, how about just sending letters to every iphone and android user, saying they will give us a windows phone and pay for the two year contract? that might actually be cheaper and would give them positive results, so to speak. Microsoft is kind of like the affirmative action of phones: no merit, but quotas.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Your tone is unnecessarily offensive. There's no need for that. You really should stop talking to people as though they are children.

Just delete the darn posts and move on, please.

PS: JeffDM's posts on this are far more mature, for the record.

Do not lecture me. If you do it again, I'll remove your posts. I don't like the tone of these posts, and I've already had calls to shut the whole thread down. Would you prefer that?
  • Reply 32 of 60
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Maybe so. Just don't announce it.

They have to announce it. Investors are worried. They want to know what Nokia is doing to stop the bleeding. Nokia can't just smile and say, "Trust us." They have to give solid plans to reassure the investors.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    who work on Symbian? How long before they are all out of work?
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No. You're mis-represnting it here yourself.

Money will flow both ways. MS will pay Nokia for the use of Ovni maps, Nokia will pay MS for the licenses for Windows Phone 7. Microsoft has also committed to offsetting the costs of development and any short term losses over the two years or so it will take to pick up speed.

Remember Nokia is basically throwing away a world-wide, world-leading business here to take a bet on Microsoft. There is a very real danger that Nokia could go under as a company before it has time to develop any market for Windows Phones. That alone means that Microsoft is on the hook for billions due to it's promise to keep Nokia afloat and in the game while it switches over.

The best thing they could do RIGHT NOW is put the Nokia brand on all new MS phones. "Nokia - powered by WP7" "WP7 inside" (with apologies to Intel), or some such marketing nonsense. Customers around the world may not even be aware of the MS tie-in, and Nokia gets to continue some semblance of cash-flow until the total integration takes place. It's my feeling that most of the world could care less about software - they just want a phone that works in their neighborhood, for a reasonable cost related to their income.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    That is not true. At the time, in many ways it beat just about any version of Windows. Apple's OS, however, was old. It didn't represent a good foundation to build from. For instance, going to OSx allowed Apple to easily port the processor to both Power PCs and Intel processors. That would have been a nightmare to try to do with the old OS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Apple had a rubbish OS, too, and they admitted it.

• Reply 36 of 60
    Watching MS is like watching a very large trainwreck in ultraslow motion. It's taking years to to die but I can't look away because to see Steve Balmer face plant into a big pile of dog poop is really satisfying. I just feel sorry for all the underlings that he is taking with him.

KRR
  • Reply 37 of 60
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    It is a shotgun wedding between two have beens. Nokia have been dominating the market like Motorolad did before them. Microsoft have dominated " IT-mindshare" like IBM before. But now we have Apple and Google as the big guys, In a way it makes sense, in that way that MS really need to get out WP7 on as many phones as possible and Nokia need a modern OS.

I can imagine that there are valid reason to prefer one of the iPhone/Andoid/RIM over the other. However, coming late to the smartphone market MS_Nokia have to be better in some regard than any of these three to make sense of buying such a phone. Better integration in Office, Active directory or X-box something??

Have WP7 not gained tracktion by next year they can relegate it to handheld inventry devises in supermarket and other windows based buiissness application. Like Psion did when the pressure from the very succsessful Palm Pilot became to great.

There is also an other problem in the marrige. If WP7 fails it will hurt Nokia more than it does MS, and WP7 is in MS lap not Nokias...
  • Reply 38 of 60
    This is the same mistake Palm made years ago. It toss out Palm OS when their business was declining. Adding Windows Mobile didn't do anything for them. Even LG, MS's other partner, has said WP7 is boring.

Why can't companies see that MS has a decade of fail products? Spot Watches? UMPC ? IF it wasn't for its monoploy it would have fold it by now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

I keep reading this Nokia deal is going to put Microsoft into the #2 smartphone os position. So basically, this means everyone who owns a Symbian based Nokia smartphone is going to buy a crap Nokia Windows Phone.

No. They are starting from zero. Its not like all the existing Symbian HW will magically switch to WP7.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Do not lecture me. If you do it again, I'll remove your posts. I don't like the tone of these posts, and I've already had calls to shut the whole thread down. Would you prefer that?

You will respect my authoritay

• Reply 40 of 60
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

They have to announce it. Investors are worried. They want to know what Nokia is doing to stop the bleeding. Nokia can't just smile and say, "Trust us." They have to give solid plans to reassure the investors.

Oh! So THATS why investors have been so reassured...