Microsoft paying Nokia billions to adopt Windows Phone platform

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Apple and Android as so far ahead at this point there is no catching up.

And Yahoo is far ahead, why bother creating Google.

The PS3 and Wii are so far ahead, why bother creating XBox.

GM is so far ahead, why bother trying if you are Toyota.

• Reply 42 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

It?s simple. Nokia dropping Symbian for a symbiotic relationship with MS. This is best chance both of them have for getting a stable ground in smartphones. Elop is doing what Jobs did when he came back to Apple. Apple had a rubbish OS, too, and they admitted it.

There's a huge difference. Nokia is effectively saying that their existing platform, and the platform under development is being terminated. Stop buying our phones and wait until the end of the year (if that). Also, who knows if WP7 will be prime-time ready by then.

Apple on the other hand didn't tell people to stop buying Macs when Jobs returned. Instead, you could go and buy new Macs and they'd run OS X when it came out. Apple released a transition OS, OS 9, that allowed developers to produce apps for the old platform that would continue to run on the new platform and even old software could run in classic mode on OS X. You could even dual-boot OS 9 / OS X. There was no reason to wait or reason to abandon development. There was no feeling of having worked on something that Apple was abandoning.

If you were considering a switch from Nokia to Android or iPhone, the choice is clear, unless you're willing to wait about a year *and* like what you see in WP7 today. Of course if you like what you see in WP7 today, go ahead and buy a WP7 from someone else. There's no need to wait.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

This is Nokia?s best move. WP7 is a good modern mobile OS. Nokia has HW knowledge but no SW chops so even if they choose Android, they couldn?t pull off a Nokia-esque UI or a vetted app store. They couldn?t even make it the best Android phone on the market since that will require driver knowledge which they haven?t shown to possess. So what other options did they have besides going down the same miserable path and not admitting that need to make changes?

No, their best move would've been executed before 2006. What they're doing now is correcting a series of mistakes and bad decisions. Nokia could have seen the light and struck this deal with Microsoft a long time ago and been the first to market with WP7. Nokia could have transitioned to WP7 by first releasing a WP7 phone and then announcing the full transition.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Micro$oft is perhaps the only 1 that "could" get into the phone os war between Apple & Google.. Nokia is feeling the heat it's OS was fine until iPhone came along they are jumping the wagon late in the game, as always Balmer is exploiting Nokia's fear & it's own.. Nokia is a very recognized brand and having WP7 on it will boost M$ share and that's precisely what matter the most. HP/Palm WebOS looks good too, but it's proprietary, they are only using it for there own devices, so i'm not sure if that's going to pick up..

M$ has the muscle to make deals with various phone vendors and position themselves for a good fight..

my 2 cents!!!
  • Reply 44 of 60
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

There is a very real danger that Nokia could go under as a company before it has time to develop any market for Windows Phones. That alone means that Microsoft is on the hook for billions due to it's promise to keep Nokia afloat and in the game while it switches over.

It's certainly debatable whether Nokia would ultimately come close to failing outright (a la Palm), but you may have touched on the real problem - time. Neither of these companies alone appear to have approached their smartphone issues with very much urgency. Given Elop's warning that the smartphone business is burning up around them, can Microsoft and Nokia accelerate their cooperation to hyperspeed? Sometimes the best technical brilliance can't overcome the cultural gulf between two organizations that aren't accustomed to cooperating with anyone outside their own walls. Bureaucratic infighting and inertia may doom their efforts.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Competition is Good...

Apple: Integrated HW/SW Model

Microsoft: Fragmented HW/SW Model

Google: Fragmented HW/SW Model

...but I'd rather have the Apple Approach....the customer experience is seamless.

Seamless how?

I bought my iPhone and its just worked, I bought my WP7 HTC and it also just worked. There wastlnt any difference in my experiance. So what is this seamless experience people talk about? Unless your iPhone had issues and you had a seamless support experience, but id rather just not need any support experience.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Typical strategy of failing businesses: tie two boat anchors together and hope they float.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

My take away from this is that the US really has the best software engineers in the world if what MS has to offer is still better than Nokia's own in-house alternatives.

Now let's sit back and watch as the US policy of favoring Wall Street fat cats above everyone else eventually throws this critical industry away too.

Don't want to cross the line the moderators are drawing on this one, but do you have any dots to connect those two sentences besides some kind of generalized hostility to the financial markets?
  • Reply 48 of 60
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bappo View Post

Sure. And i suppose you hire a lot of 10 years of expereince Unix/Linux/MacOSX expert to work on your .net project, right ?

Depends on the person...but yeah, I've hired folks without the immediate skills required. Good coders are good coders.

Quote:

But this is not really the point; the point is that you worked 10 years on an OS kernel whose primary goal (originally) was to keep away Microsoft from the telephone market (and it succed quite well in this). Today your boss come and says: everything you have done was crap, we married microsoft, we will use their solutions, not yours.

You just pissed off 10 thousands engineers, you made their experience useless, their mission null; you just froze their motivation. This is a recipe for failure, the failure that come when you ignore the company culture.

True, on the other hand it seems like a lot are actually getting the axe. The failure of Nokia is IMHO not from the hardware perspective. That leaves management and software.

Looks like a few management types left too.

Quote:

Microsoft still need those engineers to make products.

Microsoft needs a few of those engineers as they have a lot of their own.

Not every developer is anti-MS.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Do not lecture me. If you do it again, I'll remove your posts. I don't like the tone of these posts, and I've already had calls to shut the whole thread down. Would you prefer that?

Sheesh, You're the moderator. Do what you want, man.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garyemery View Post

I love this. It is an excellent point. The head of Nokia has basically told everyone thinking of buying a Nokia phone not to buy a Nokia phone because they run a rubbish OS. Nice one Elop. I am really looking forward to this going totally wrong.

It actually grows my respect for Nokia.

I'd be seriously pissed off if Nokia sold me latest and greatest Symbian smartphone today, just to tell me tomorrow they are ditching Symbian for something else. I am really happy they are letting their users know what is going to happen in a year-or-so time.

Sure their current stock sales will take a dip (and eventually be sold for a bargain price) but eventually I think fair treatment of their customers will pay back.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

You will respect my authoritay

That's funny.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garyemery View Post

I love this. It is an excellent point. The head of Nokia has basically told everyone thinking of buying a Nokia phone not to buy a Nokia phone because they run a rubbish OS. Nice one Elop. I am really looking forward to this going totally wrong.

the thing is, there's zero worthwhile smartphone in the nokia line up for people to buy.

they announce things early to stop people from buying iPhone, WebOS, Android etc...

Basically they are saying, hey look we have something cool in the future, now go to sleep and wake up in a few years.

Same reason why Samsung, HP, Motorola show off their phone/ tablet months before anyone can actually buy one.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Windows Phone has been out in Europe and the a lot of the rest of the world for quite some time and no one is buying it. Why would people suddenly buy a Windows Phone just because it is from Nokia? It makes no sense based on the facts.

Because there are still a lot of people who want to buy a phone based on brand, rather than OS or features (and speaking of features, that category is really easy to stretch anyway).

I know people who want Nokia phone just because it is Nokia, without even knowing what software runs inside.

Likewise, I know a few with iPhone having no idea what software it runs. It's an iPhone and it is cool; that is all they need to know.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

Why can't companies see that MS has a decade of fail products?.

Prob'bly because it didn't happen..?
  • Reply 55 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

And Yahoo is far ahead, why bother creating Google.

The PS3 and Wii are so far ahead, why bother creating XBox.

GM is so far ahead, why bother trying if you are Toyota.

Quite agree with you, except that X360 was created before PS3

But you could add something like "Nokia and Blackberry are so far ahead, why creating iPhone"?
  • Reply 56 of 60
    Apple gets paid when people use its mobile OS.

Google gives their mobile OS away for free.

Microsoft pays people to use its mobile OS.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    Nice one All the headlines should have read, Microsoft buys Nokia.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Oh! So THATS why investors have been so reassured...

Yeah, the investors should be reassured, Nokia has just been bought over by Microsoft.

Instead of a big sinking ship they jumped over to a very, very big sinking ship.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Do not lecture me. If you do it again, I'll remove your posts. I don't like the tone of these posts, and I've already had calls to shut the whole thread down. Would you prefer that?

How pathetic.