Apple rumored to be evaluating 3 new iPhone prototypes, one with slideout keyboard

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    How many times does this horse hockey have to be spouted before everyone who's doing it is permanently discredited?
  • Reply 42 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

10th prototype that only interfaces with the controller for Steel Batallion

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

• Reply 43 of 94
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Things have changed this last year with the phenomenal growth of Android which Apple cannot ignore.

They can't sit back content to be holding THE best top end phone, at best profit. Their single model (+last years discounted) will not cut it in the face of such diverse competition.

Because, however good Apple make the iPhone in itself, it will not be 'the best' if market-share dwindles to such an extent that developers switch from iOS and prioritise Android. A computer is only as good as the Applications running on it.

Apple has no choice but to go after marketshare, and this means more models. They have begun to do this.

(1) 2nd model of iPhone just introduced. CMDA to overcome the first hurdle, 'the carrier hurdle', and open all markets to the iPhone. (This despite the compromise on one of Apple's most touted features: simultaneous voice and data use).

(2) A lower cost, lower spec, slightly smaller version. The rumoured iPhone nano to overcome 'the cost hurdle'. imo Apple will produce one this year to compete at lower price points.

(3) After these two, the next most obvious hurdle to people buying an iPhone is form factor. I don't doubt that Apple thinks an on-screen keyboard is best, and I agree with them. But people are different, and some prefer a tactile, physical keyboard. If it will remove that hurdle then give it to them - produce a slide out keyboard version. Obviously 'as well as' not 'instead of' the current format.

I don't think a Nano or a Keyboard model is half as unlikely as some are making out.
  • Reply 44 of 94
    The iPHONE SHUFFLE will randomly send text messages to your contacts.

Wait, that's Android.
  • Reply 45 of 94
    A 12th prototype automatically dials Ballmer every day and laughs at him...
  • Reply 46 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hismastersvoice View Post

I just read on macrumors theres an ninth prototype that boots off cassette.

Sorry, That's just wrong - It will _play_ cassettes.
  • Reply 47 of 94
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I really like the 4.3" screens, they are still small enough to fit comfortably in your pocket but large enough to really make quite a difference. Yes, the retina display is nice, but I would prefer that same resolution on a larger display.

I also wonder if they will ever add Swype as a real alternative to the default KB for all apps. Swype takes a little time to master, but once you are used to it you will appreciate just how much faster and easier it is to use than the current keyboard for iOS.

Personally I would love the idea of an iPhone with either a physical keyboard or even a second LCD screen that could be used as a keyboard or other options. I am all for choice and since Apple is the only maker of the iPhone it would be nice to have a larger selection than just the internal memory and this year vs. last year's model.
  • Reply 48 of 94
    the 14th prototype is a Polly Pocket play set.
  • Reply 49 of 94
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    15th prototype will only play ogg/vorbis and WebM/vp8 encoded media
  • Reply 50 of 94
    The keyboard slide out is obviously either mis-information or an old pre-original-iPhone rumor. The next iPhone "5" will definitely carry the same design as the iPhone 4. With production of the CDMA iPhone 4 being fairly recent, I doubt Apple would want to switch gear for a completely new design, again. That's expensive and inefficient, considering even the iPhone 4 is still selling out in some countries.

The wild card is the so-called iPhone mini/nano. I think it's more fun speculating about this as it's an unknown.
  • Reply 51 of 94
    16th prototype quintuple-boots Symbian, Windows Phone 7, Android, Blackberry QNX and WebOS (to evaluate which should replace iOS; current hot favourite is Symbian)
  • Reply 52 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

The iPHONE SHUFFLE will randomly send text messages to your contacts.

Wait, that's Android.

• Reply 53 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleinsider View Post

a taiwanese website that has been the source of numerous apple hardware leaks now claims that apple has built three hardware prototypes for its next-generation iphone, including one model with a slide-out physical keyboard.

nooooooooo!
  • Reply 54 of 94
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobrk View Post

A 6th prototype had a rotary dial.

And if a slide-out keyboard is released would Flash be far behind?
  • Reply 55 of 94
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

My understanding is that Apple may actually go through dozens of prototypes and design iterations to come up with the final product. That really shouldn't be a surprise either. The assumption here though is that these are further along than normal lab prototypes, more like production tests units. Or maybe the translation is messing with my mind.

What doesn't mess with my mind is this idea of an iPhone with a keyboard. I think it is a very real possibility. Why? It is pretty simple really, such a keyboard provides for a larger screen or view port while entering text. Such a device makes for far easier text entry and more importantly far better editing. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing those little auto correct errors after you send out a message.

More importantly the slide out keyboard doesn't have to be the fixed function device we have seen on other phones. Instead it could be a slide out LCD touch screen of sorts. This would allow Apple to continue to have one device for world wide distribution due to the nature of a soft keyboard. It would be well worth a few bucks extra at the check out counter, especially for people using their iPhones a lot for text entry. In effect you get a much larger screen in the same form factor. The issue then becomes how do you do such a keyboard without making the iPhone FAT.

This. Low res LCD screen for slide out keyboard or game pad or whatever they can develop.
  • Reply 56 of 94
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VanFruniken View Post

Given how fast one can type on an iPhone keyboard it seems extremely unlikely that Apple would spend any energy on such a project.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You seem to want to equate an outdated piece of technology with something that is still very much in common use. Worst you seem to think that any design Apple comes up with will be modeled on current approaches. Frankly I'd rather expect that Apple would continue to innovate here. It doesn't take a lot of effort to imagine Apple putting a spin on a slide out keyboard that would be a big win for heavy iPhone users. Done right it keeps iPhone compact while expanding usable screen real-estate. That is no joking matter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Slide out keyboard? What crap is that, what, did Apple start walking backwards or something?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevt View Post

however good Apple make the iPhone in itself, it will not be 'the best' if market-share dwindles to such an extent that developers switch from iOS and prioritise Android. A computer is only as good as the Applications running on it.

Apple has no choice but to go after marketshare, and this means more models. They have begun to do this.

(1) 2nd model of iPhone just introduced. CMDA to overcome the first hurdle, 'the carrier hurdle', and open all markets to the iPhone. (This despite the compromise on one of Apple's most touted features: simultaneous voice and data use).

(2) A lower cost, lower spec, slightly smaller version. The rumoured iPhone nano to overcome 'the cost hurdle'. imo Apple will produce one this year to compete at lower price points.

(3) After these two, the next most obvious hurdle to people buying an iPhone is form factor. I don't doubt that Apple thinks an on-screen keyboard is best, and I agree with them. But people are different, and some prefer a tactile, physical keyboard. If it will remove that hurdle then give it to them - produce a slide out keyboard version. Obviously 'as well as' not 'instead of' the current format.

I don't think a Nano or a Keyboard model is half as unlikely as some are making out.

I imagine 20-30% of potential customers (not all your aunt or grandma, but many business users, writers, etc.) much prefer a physical keyboard. My virtual KB experience is limited, but I know I do.

20-30% of the phone market is, btw, 200-300 MILLION units/year. Why leave all of that just sitting on the table for Android and the also rans?

Apple has aesthetic religion, but they're also business people. It would be cool, tho' if they used their design chops to bring it out in a way that minimally impacts their overall philosophy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pika2000 View Post

The keyboard slide out is obviously either mis-information or an old pre-original-iPhone rumor. The next iPhone "5" will definitely carry the same design as the iPhone 4. With production of the CDMA iPhone 4 being fairly recent, I doubt Apple would want to switch gear for a completely new design, again. That's expensive and inefficient, considering even the iPhone 4 is still selling out in some countries.

The wild card is the so-called iPhone mini/nano. I think it's more fun speculating about this as it's an unknown.

You got my KB thots above, but I agree with the rest of what you say. This is going to be a refinement, extension update - especially given the timing of the CMDA release which opens more markets than simply Verizon around the world, and they'll use this to penetrate those.

The next major redesign will be the full-blown 4G/LTE model in 2012. Hopefully before all those pesky planets align and a super-nova wipes us out.
  • Reply 57 of 94
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Things have changed this last year with the phenomenal growth of Android which Apple cannot ignore.

They can't sit back content to be holding THE best top end phone, at best profit. Their single model (+last years discounted) will not cut it in the face of such diverse competition.

Because, however good Apple make the iPhone in itself, it will not be 'the best' if market-share dwindles to such an extent that developers switch from iOS and prioritise Android. A computer is only as good as the Applications running on it.

lower cost, lower spec, 1/3 smaller screen phone contribute little to the iOS ecosystem. If the potential buyer of this phone is so cost consious that he/she won't buy unless it's close to free with contract, then how likely are they at spending money to buy apps?

Prosperity of the ecosystem depends on developers, and developers go where the money is. The number of phones Apple sells isn't really important, it's how many buyers want to buy content that's really the key.

Unless Apple figured out some really cool ways to make small screen work with the apps, I don't see it happenning.
  • Reply 58 of 94
    Was alcohol involved during that site's posting?
  • Reply 59 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

Adobe Flash will make it's debut on the iPhone 5.

Sorry!! Not going zo happen. Neither is a slideout keyboard an option for an iPhone. These addons may occur once Steve Ballmer is CEO of Apple. (I hope I won't be around that day).
  • Reply 60 of 94
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I imagine 20-30% of potential customers (not all your aunt or grandma, but many business users, writers, etc.) much prefer a physical keyboard. My virtual KB experience is limited, but I know I do.

20-30% of the phone market is, btw, 200-300 MILLION units/year. Why leave all of that for Android and the also rans?

I have a perfectly good reason why. By your calculation, the other 70-80% of the phone market is 700-800 million units/year. Apple will have a LONG, LONG way to go before they capture even half of that market segement.