Apple's supplier audit finds underage labor & bribery, addresses suicides

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

And upthread we have the usual, no matter what they do, it is not enough - until Apple single-handedly introduces the "workers' paradise" and the entire line of Apple products that as soon as you are done using them dissolve into recyclable minerals.

The strident demand for details, and the criticism of the wording is so typically reactionary rhetoric from acorn.alert. What is particularly ridiculous is the fact that the commenter is yet another free consumer of the Western commerce feedmill, who is doing nothing or at best ineffectually little compared to the efforts of Apple and other companies who are working against national culture greed and corruption to make their SUPPLIERS workplaces better. This is one step abstracted from even making sure that Apple itself is fair and supportive in its own workplaces.

Oh wait apparently expressing disdain, applying calumny and consuming power-grid wattage to post drivel on the internet is more than enough activism to justify the critique. Yeppers, by golly a few million more like acorn.alert and there will be a real revolution - not.

Oh yeah and of course Apple is single-handedly bringing down the economy of the US by putting 4 million people on unemployment, nice. rain,you need find a real parade to piss on.

As long as your stock is rising it's completely acceptable that your neighbors are being thrown out on the street, in a panic about when and where their next meal will come. Good for you for having your needs met... your more important then everyone else anyways.

'Fuck the unemployed & fuck the hungry - I have money and food'.

I think it was that attitude that your forefathers had in mind when they wrote the constitution. That's the shared value that made America great right? Export all the jobs overseas for more profit, for more people back home to make more money from producing nothing.

Sounds like a completely sound and sustainable business model. It seems to be doing wonders for the economy.

I mean heck, doesn't matter that SJ alone could personally finance the building and moving of all production to the States and still have money left over to buy a small country or two... he's the Time person of the year! He's an American Hero! California has never been in better shape! The Corporate tax loopholes Apple is enjoying has made the State rich beyond their wildest dreams and it's citizens lush with quality of life.

That aside, I would think that for someone who is very soon going to find themselves in the same homeless/hungry situation, you would have a little more empathy.

Let me give you a little advise...

Sell your stocks and start buying agricultural land and seeds. Nutrients that sustain life... there is no app for that.

Or you still buying the bullshit that Obama is going to save you?
  • Reply 22 of 29
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Take it as truth - leave it as garbage... these blogs are presenting facts that the MSM have stopped reporting on.

At some point, we all have to face our denial.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acorn.alert View Post

Exactly, it "sounds like". The report is full of meaningless phrases such as "Apple is applying pressure", "we gained insight" (but probably did nothing) and (my personal favourite) "In addition, some workers (without specifying even a percentage) are able to join onsite associate degree programs linked to Chinese universities."

Overall, the report is very loose and vague and reeks faintly. How many people are there involved in the assembly of Apple's products? Doesn't say. How much do they get paid? Doesn't say. Which facilities did Apple terminate business with (did the company change it's name and re-secure the contract). Doesn't say. Without this kind of information, we're in no position to judge whether this report is truthful or not - it's what Apple wants you to hear and see (check out the air-brushed photos) - and until Apple reports that kind of information, it's safe to dismiss their "supplier responsibility programme" as primarily a PR exercise.

You can't satisfy some people no matter what you do. I suspect that even though Apple is trying, which is more than most companies are doing, that no matter what you will never accept Apple's efforts as even adequate while I view them as commendable.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

You can't satisfy some people no matter what you do. I suspect that even though Apple is trying, which is more than most companies are doing, that no matter what you will never accept Apple's efforts as even adequate while I view them as commendable.

I always wonder what these vocal critics do in their day-to-day lives to make the fates of other better.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

As long as your stock is rising it's completely acceptable that your neighbors are being thrown out on the street, in a panic about when and where their next meal will come. Good for you for having your needs met... your more important then everyone else anyways.

'Fuck the unemployed & fuck the hungry - I have money and food'.

I think it was that attitude that your forefathers had in mind when they wrote the constitution. That's the shared value that made America great right? Export all the jobs overseas for more profit, for more people back home to make more money from producing nothing.

Sounds like a completely sound and sustainable business model. It seems to be doing wonders for the economy.

I mean heck, doesn't matter that SJ alone could personally finance the building and moving of all production to the States and still have money left over to buy a small country or two... he's the Time person of the year! He's an American Hero! California has never been in better shape! The Corporate tax loopholes Apple is enjoying has made the State rich beyond their wildest dreams and it's citizens lush with quality of life.

That aside, I would think that for someone who is very soon going to find themselves in the same homeless/hungry situation, you would have a little more empathy.

Let me give you a little advise...

Sell your stocks and start buying agricultural land and seeds. Nutrients that sustain life... there is no app for that.

Or you still buying the bullshit that Obama is going to save you?

Do you rain on every parade? Since you have all that empathy may I ask what are you doing to help?
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Have any of those criticising this report actually read it?

As far as the under age workers, it concerns one location employing 42 youths and one other employing 1 who has since become of age.

Apple terminated working with the company responsible for the case of 42, where the children were helped to return to their parents and back to school. I do not know what else one can expect from Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    <Foxconn manager looking down from the top of the building>

"Dock that chink a day's pay for sleepin' on the job!"
  • Reply 28 of 29
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

I know there will be tons of bashing in this thread but I'm happy with Apple's response and believe in their sincerity to make things right.

I think these incidents are the last thing Apple wants and they'll spend the millions (small sum) to make sure this shit doesn't happen.

The way to make sure it doesn't happen is for Apple to own all of their manufacturing facilities, rather than contracting it out. They might not be able to do that in China, but they can do it in Singapore and they can probably do it if they manufactured in India. Public workers in Egypt seem to make even less than workers in China - news reports claim they make only $100 a month, so it seems to me there are opportunities all over the world.

The alternative to that is still contract out, but as part of the contract, Apple employed managers run the operations and take responsiblity for monitoring worker hiring, hours, treatment, etc.

While I appreciate the efforts that Apple seems to have made, I still think that Apple is relying primarily on their manufacturers to do the right thing and that's never going to happen, IMO.