Apple's next iPhone could have 4-inch screen with next-gen A5 processor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    At 4 inches, will it still be retina?
  • Reply 21 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

There is no need to oversize iPhone. There is plenty of space to make screen larger. Here is how iPhone Nano and iPhone 5 may look like:

Wow, a Fat Boy iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it would be nice to have a slightly larger screen, not because other makers are doing it but because it wouldn't feel like such a confined UI. I'm pretty sure 4" can be done without making the device noticeably larger, the frame of the iPhone 4 is 5" diagonal. Clearly, you would have a smaller bezel but it can be done.

Agree. I think I would like the 4 in screen. Anything up to ~4.5. Keep the same resolution. 5 is too big IMO. My brothers evo is not too big. But I can see people wanting the present size too.
  • Reply 24 of 94
    If true, I welcome it. I'm content with 3.5" screen, but I must admit having that extra .5" would be welcome and make viewing video and reading websites just a little easier and more comfortable on the eyes (to me). If it stays 3.5, so be it - I'll still buy iP5, but 4" would be nicer and a step-up. Especially if the half-size iP is true and the rumors of them going button-less in the future, that should give them more space to make a bigger display and keep the phone dimensions the same.
  • Reply 25 of 94
    i would definitely buy a bigger iphone if it's released. although i am ok with the current screen size, but i would not mind a little bit bigger.
  • Reply 26 of 94
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

At 4 inches, will it still be retina?

It would need to have a lower pixel density to both keep the same resolution and to avoid fragmentation, would it not? Or larger pixels? I can't see Apple dropping the Retina Display advantage.
  • Reply 27 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjayer View Post

Looks like I might not be far off with this:

Though I do believe if they make a change this big - scaling up the screen, they will also do a new design with the whole phone. Get that antenna inside and put an end to "antennagate."

They may be able to expand the display all the way to the edge. However, they better don't do the same with the touch sensitive layer, otherwise there would be a constant flux of false inputs. This would leave items close to the edge touch inaccessible. Don't know how they would solve this problem.
  • Reply 28 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

i would definitely buy a bigger iphone if it's released. although i am ok with the current screen size, but i would not mind a little bit bigger.

Well most people wouldn't want a monstaPhone.
  • Reply 29 of 94
    Apple is not willing to make a 7" iPad even though the form factor is proven to be interesting to customers. So why would they make a 4" iPhone just because larger Android phones are selling?

As mentioned, Apple is fastidious about minimizing the number of form factors in order to deliver consistent user experience. The only way they'd make a larger iPhone is if the pixels are larger and they maintain the same resolution. But this bastardizes the Retina display. Another possibility is that they extra screen space is used for user navigation rather than apps or videos.

More than likely, this is a false rumor.
  • Reply 30 of 94
    Hopefully not...I don't need a bigger phone
  • Reply 31 of 94
    Wow, AI sure is throwing a lot of half-assed rumors out there. By reporting on 300 different "possible next-gen iphones" now, I guess down the road they'll be able to claim that they "broke the news first".
  • Reply 32 of 94
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Hopefully not...I don't need a bigger phone

I hope they do. Even though I don't need a bigger phone either.

But Apple needs a model range, not a single phone (+ last years a fraction cheaper).

As has been pointed out a 4" screen could have the same resolution as iPhone 4, and a 3" the same resolution as the 3GS. No further fragmentation of screen size by pixel.

Thanks for the mock up, mjayer.
  • Reply 33 of 94
    I switched from my iPhone 3G to a htc HD7 and the 4.3in screen was a big deciding factor. Once you see something like this you won't want to go back. Yes the phone is slightly larger but it doesn't cause a problem. Apple could get a 4in screen into an iPhone and the phone itself would be barely any bigger.
  • Reply 34 of 94
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    An iPhone Nano would appeal to those people who mainly use the iPod and Phone capabilities without installing many app's. If priced right it would be a big hit amongst the non-contract pay-as-you-go generation of phone users. I don't see a smaller screen size being a problem, just look at the iPod Nano.

Add a 4" iPhone for users who mainly use it for the app's and you have a sensible product differentiation IMO which address both the mid and high end market segments.
  • Reply 35 of 94
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Rumors are rumors, but if true.....fragmentation begins. At least two different screen sizes, maybe three if there is a nano iPhone. Plus the iPad's resolution. Hmmm. Doesn't matter to me, I am skipping this generation unless something awesome comes. LTE may convince me, but I'm not so sure it's ready for this refresh.

You've hit the nail on the head. This won't happen unless the same resolution is met, which would mean larger pixels/less density = no retina display.

Two resolutions will be kept - iPhone and iPad - there will be no fragmentation. Maybe a smaller phone is on the way, if so maybe it won't run apps and be a dumbed down device like the new iPod nano - touch screen, but massively limited compared to the iPod Touch - again, I think this scenario is unlikely.

Apple don't need to play catchup or massively change anything - a slight polish on the form factor, larger storage, faster processor, further increases in battery life, maybe increasing camera resolutioin and some more work on iOS are all that is needed. iPhone 5 will launch, Apple will again surge into the lead for a few months, until the novelty wears off and android fill the gap again.
  • Reply 36 of 94
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    I see a lot of skepticism in the comments about these new iPhone rumors which I think comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of Apple and El Jobso. Despite popular misconception, Apple is a relentlessly pragmatic company. Jobs, and by extension Apple, fervently believes in the Truth of everything he says and thinks, right up until the time he changes his mind. We have always been at war with Eastasia!

Job number 1 at Apple right now is to defeat Android. And if defeating Android requires slide-out keyboards or varied screen sizes, then that's what Apple will do. Now, I don't mean to suggest that Apple would ever start throwing stuff up on the wall to see what sticks -- that is what clueless baboons do, and Apple is not run by clueless baboons. But Apple will meticulously analyze data on what features of competing phones are most useful to customers in the real world (not the features that people *think* they want, but the ones they actually really like and use once they have the product).

My hunch is that we might see two iPhones with different screen sizes... perhaps the larger one will have the same pixel dimensions as the current iPhone, while the smaller one will have the pixel dimensions of the old iPhone (thus keeping developers happy). We might also see the home button replaced by a four-finger double-tap (or something along those lines).

I also think the slide-out keyboard is less likely, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely. A slide-out keyboard is of zero appeal to me, but if Apple finds that there are large numbers of people who really, genuinely do buy an Android phone over an iPhone just because of the slide-out keyboard, then Apple will make a slide-out keyboard. I'm a little skeptical that the slide-out keyboard is a real driver of people to Android, but I don't have any data on that, so I don't know.
  • Reply 37 of 94
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Not if the iPhone Nano would have the 'old' 320x480 resolution but on a smaller screen. If Apple made something like that, I'd imagine it would be like the 3GS but with a 3" screen at the same resolution.

Yeah, and it will ship with sandpaper to file down your fingers since all your touch targets would become 15% smaller.
  • Reply 38 of 94
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Enhanced A4 for iPad 2? I hope not.

A silly move unless it is to provide for a very cheap intro model. Even then I wouldn't be calling that iPad 2. That would be a very minor bump.

What I find crazy in this thread is the reaction people have to different sized iPhones. Do people really expect Apple to be successful long term with just one iPhone form factor? Using the logic expressed here people might as well demand that Apple cut the MacBook line up back to one machine. No reasonable person would expect Apple to sell only one size of laptop so why limit the iPhone lineup??? Seriously folks Apple needs to have a range of iPhones.
  • Reply 39 of 94
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjayer View Post

Though I do believe if they make a change this big - scaling up the screen, they will also do a new design with the whole phone. Get that antenna inside and put an end to "antennagate."

It has been put to an "end". Months ago. For 99% of users it' a non-issue.
  • Reply 40 of 94
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Job number 1 at Apple right now is to defeat Android.

No. Job #1 is to make great products that make great money

Quote:

And if defeating Android requires slide-out keyboards or varied screen sizes, then that's what Apple will do.

This is the same argument for the xMac and market share. Might there be an iPhone nano? Sure. Will it to beat Android? Not really.