Apple's next iPhone could have 4-inch screen with next-gen A5 processor

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

And then what, you display the 50,000 apps already out there with letter-boxing and force developers to choose which aspect ratio to develop for? Or make them develop two UIs for every application?

Apple has been telling developers for more than a couple of years now to make sure their apps can handle alternative resolutions. On top of that iOS's GUI is more or less resolution independent, many apps would run fine right out of the box. Third; with each revision of the SDK developers have had to revisit apps anyways. The reality is you keep up or fall off the map.

[/quote]

Minor letter-boxing like you get when you scale and iPhone app to full screen on an iPad is probably acceptable to Apple, but I really don't see them accepting the huge letter-boxing that would be required to allow the same app to work on both of the devices in your mock-ups. Ain't gonna happen.[/QUOTE]

Is it really that hard to imagine developers adding a few png's or whatever to support an alternative screen. The fact is universal apps already work well and demonstrate that screen support is a non issue.
  • Reply 42 of 94
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Yeah, and it will ship with sandpaper to file down your fingers since all your touch targets would become 15% smaller.

This is why I think a 3" iPhone nano is a non-starter. Face it, a slightly smaller iPhone isn't that much smaller or cheaper. A real iPhone nano is the size of the old nano with the current touch screen of the nano. Mini apps that can be built for the iPod nano can be run on the iPhone nano at native resolution.

If I were apple and I wanted an iPhone nano I'd see if I couldn't build a phone based on the iPod Nano G6, about twice the height and a little thicker, add a T9 keyboard or click wheel for dialing and a CDMA/GSM baseband. So it would mostly be the Nano + Phone + battery. At twice the size of the iPod Nano G6 it would be one of the smallest phones out there. Maybe a front facing camera for face time but I dunno how it would fit.

Then it literally would be just an iPod + Phone and you could offer the 8GB for $229 the 16GB for $299.

Something about this size:

A real iPhone nano would be a watch phone at the size of iPod Nano G6 but the tradeoffs are too high I think. It's going to be a couple more years before we get that. They make some but they look like they suck.
  • Reply 43 of 94
    These rumors are out of control. Fiddling with phone size makes no sense. Contrary to what geeks think, most people don't give hoot. If apple can increase screen size in the current format without affecting apps or usabilty, well, OK. And miniaturization adds cost so a cheaper, smaller iphone? Forget it.

The nano phone? Maybe. But not in way it is being imagined. Why invest in dying feature phones when smart phones are becoming ubiquitous, cheap, and more in demand? But maybe some iPod nano phone would work if it is nothing like a feature phone and nohting like a smart phone. Basically a new category. That would be typical apple.
  • Reply 44 of 94
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Apple has been telling developers for more than a couple of years now to make sure their apps can handle alternative resolutions. On top of that iOS's GUI is more or less resolution independent, many apps would run fine right out of the box. Third; with each revision of the SDK developers have had to revisit apps anyways. The reality is you keep up or fall off the map.

Sure, but there are many people here who seem to believe it to be sacrilege for Apple and developers to have to adjust to an alternate resolution. They scream bloody-murder every time someone suggests Apple should have a smaller iPad. Oddly, I haven't seen a single one of them responding to the rumors of a smaller screened iPhone. I guess they are all on vacation.
  • Reply 45 of 94
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    My best guess is iPhone 5 will have a 3.5" display and will differentiate from the iPhone nano and the iPhone 4 in other ways.

The only way I see the 4" display on iPhone 5 happening is if Apple can pull it off without make the device physically wider. And that's a big "if".
  • Reply 46 of 94
    I want the iphone in my watch. That's all I ask.

I will have lived to see the jetsons come to life. Well, almost.
  • Reply 47 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

It has been put to an "end". Months ago. For 99% of users it' a non-issue.

Not me, first batch.... might be related?
  • Reply 48 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Sure, but there are many people here who seem to believe it to be sacrilege for Apple and developers to have to adjust to an alternate resolution. They scream bloody-murder every time someone suggests Apple should have a smaller iPad. Oddly, I haven't seen a single one of them responding to the rumors of a smaller screened iPhone. I guess they are all on vacation.

Let's ignore those rumors... How about a triangle display, and a round one, and a foldable iPhone?

And how about the 1920x749 pixel iPhone?

Sure thing, I like the current format, AND I don't want to make several versions of my apps :/
  • Reply 49 of 94
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Speak for yourself. One of the reasons I'm considering an Android phone is for the larger screen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I think this is a really bad idea. I can't believe that the company that gave us the amazing MacBook Air would make the beautifully slim and pocketable iPhone 4 into another oversized brick phone. What's next, a shorter battery life?

• Reply 50 of 94
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

All these rumors of different models of iPhones must have competitors completely confused as to what Apple will do next. It reminds me of anti-missle defense measures for airliners:.

Yes, other companies doesn't do anything and doesn't present anything. Ups, I have arrived from MWC and there was a lot of products
  • Reply 51 of 94
    Big. Small. Pullout keyboard. No pullout keyboard. NFC. No NFC. This. That.

Apple is merely playing head-games with its competitors. They'll have no clue what's going on or how to respond......
  • Reply 52 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

It would need to have a lower pixel density to both keep the same resolution and to avoid fragmentation, would it not? Or larger pixels? I can't see Apple dropping the Retina Display advantage.

The current 3.5-inch 640x960 display is 330 DPI, a 4-inch version would be 288 DPI and a 4.5-inch screen would be 256 DPI. 256 DPI is still pretty sharp but not Retina. If you define Retina as 300 DPI they could go to a 3.8-inch screen. They could also go to a different resolution or shape and retain over 300 DPI on the larger screens but that hurts current apps.
  • Reply 53 of 94
    I wonder where I heard the notion of the A5 before?
  • Reply 54 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wally626 View Post

The current 3.5-inch 640x960 display is 330 DPI, a 4-inch version would be 288 DPI and a 4.5-inch screen would be 256 DPI. 256 DPI is still pretty sharp but not Retina. If you define Retina as 300 DPI they could go to a 3.8-inch screen. They could also go to a different resolution or shape and retain over 300 DPI on the larger screens but that hurts current apps.

Current: 326ppi.

They will adjust the system to make sure the ppi is still Retina. They trademarked the concept to use across their embedded iPhone/iPod Touch solutions.
  • Reply 55 of 94
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    "The iPad 2 will support an enhanced version of the A4 and the A5 will power the iPhone 5"

I'm not interested in a single core Cortex A8 iPad 2 - not when all the Android tablets will be using dual-core Cortex A9s. I'd like such a purchase to last me a few years, and hence it should have room for the software to grow into.
  • Reply 56 of 94
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I think this is a really bad idea. I can't believe that the company that gave us the amazing MacBook Air would make the beautifully slim and pocketable iPhone 4 into another oversized brick phone. What's next, a shorter battery life?

Damn.

I didn't know Apple announced the iphone 5 yet?
  • Reply 57 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Enhanced A4 for iPad 2? I hope not.

Yeah... that has me totally confused!

If:

A4 == Single Core CPU, Single Core GPU, 1 Ghz, 512 MB RAM

A5 == Dual Core CPU, Dual Core GPU, 1.2 hz, 1 GB RAM

I can't see much (any) need for an A5 on a smart phone other than to run Flash -- the display is too small.

On the iPad, however, I can see lots of need for the A5 to exploit the device/screen for more robust apps like video editing.

It just seems totally the opposite of what makes common sense?????
  • Reply 58 of 94
    What's the point? Is there anything significant that you can do with a 4-inch screen that you can't with a 3.5-inch screen?

Apple did not opt for the form factor of the current iPhone by accident. It carefully weighed various factors and decided that 3.5 inches is the best option.

Apple doesn't care what others are doing re form factor. Whereas the competition was trying to make the 7-inch form factor the standard in the tablet market, Apple is sticking by the 10-inch form factor with great success. It's not like smart phones haven't been available with larger screen until now. They've been out there for a while. Apple still sells the iPhone by the millions. No need to change.
  • Reply 59 of 94
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I think if Apple pushed the screen size to 4", they would try to do it within a body almost identical to the current iPhone 4. Apple isn't interested in making larger form-factors that only appeal to a certain niche. Same thing happened with the iPod - everyone built larger devices while Apple merely figured out how to put a larger screen in a smaller form.
  • Reply 60 of 94
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I think if Apple pushed the screen size to 4", they would try to do it within a body almost identical to the current iPhone 4. Apple isn't interested in making larger form-factors that only appeal to a certain niche. Same thing happened with the iPod - everyone built larger devices while Apple merely figured out how to put a larger screen in a smaller form.

You agree with me.