iOS jailbreakers thwarted by Apple's latest version of iBooks

Comments

• Reply 101 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jubei_nj View Post

I'm not sure how pirating eBooks is a problem, you can technically do it without jailbreaking. ePub books are available all over and sync easily through iTunes.

Where? and tell me how, thanks, I'm tired of paying these prices
  • Reply 102 of 163
    iBooks is so far behind Kindle that apple is having to force out the competition to give iBooks a shot. You are much better off not updating your iOS and jailbraking, after apples move what do you gain? Now I can use a wide selection of book apps from different vendors, if i play apples game I can use only one. One they have exclusive rights to, one that has less content, one that is alot more difficult to find a non-top ten release in, one that works only in apples stable. If I don't play apples game, I have book apps that work on my mac, pc, blackberry, web, android, Symbian, and windows phone. Hmmm, they have more content for cheaper, easier to find and sync last page read across devices, and also work with one click purchase. The choice seems clear, don't update your device, jail break it, and have a much better and more capable device.
  • Reply 103 of 163
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Quote:

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

That would be a quote from Article I of the U.S. Constitution. You'd think that would settle the basic issue, but it somehow never does.

PREAMBLE

Quote:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

The Preamble of the Constitution does not confer any powers to any portion of the Federal Government.

Article I defines the Legislative branch and powers delegated to it.
  • Reply 104 of 163
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

A vaguely worded error message like that reminds me of the equally vague error message that Windows betas issued back in the 1990s when they detected competitor, Dr. DOS, on a PC. A clear message would have told users that the only reason it was appearing was to crush a competitor whose product was actually compatible. A vague message left them feeling that there was something wrong with Dr. DOS. Having created FUD, Microsoft turned off that error message in the shipping version of Windows.

This seems to be the same sort of game. A proper error message would honestly state, "To ensure copy protection, iBooks will not run on iPhones that have been jail-broken."

Vaguely worded?

It is a very concise message with the inclusion of how to fix it.

I don't recall DOS errors including instructions on how to fix them.
  • Reply 105 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jberry View Post

As a developer I work long hours on my apps to make them good, and to attract legitimate purchasers to purchase the apps so that I can get a reasonable return for my efforts.

Yes. As a jailbreaker, I agree with you. I'm also a content producer and developer.

Quote:

When I consistently see (as I do) that in excess of 25% of the running copies of my app are cracked (stolen) copies, it gives me reason to wish that Apple would come down much harder on the jailbreakers who facilitate app stealing, on the crackers who crack these apps, and on the websites that distribute them to the users who accept and use the stolen apps. Using stolen apps is no different than buying stolen cars, or from stealing the dollar bills directly out of my pocket.

Right. Apple should stop selling iPhones because they're used to pirate your apps. Apple should stop selling computer, and ISPs should shut down. That's how silly it sounds. Jailbreaking != piracy any more than any of these other things. Apple could go after warez sites and apps like Installous, but also as a developer, you should consider looking at how your can deal with the issue of piracy yourself. It's really not that hard.

First, take a look at the 25%. How much of that is really hurting you? There's a good percentage of that who never would've paid for your app to begin with, but their use may contribute to influencing others to buy. Likewise of that 25%, a percentage will like the app and then buy it later. Here's a hint: update often and require more recent versions of iOS.

Finally, take a look at what others are doing through code to prevent piracy. Be nice about it. Let your app continue to run in Trial mode until purchased or serve ads and nag messages.

If you really want to take a hard line, don't let your app run at all, or pollute the warez scene with bad cracks.

Really, it's not that hard to combat, but you may find that doing so causes more harm than good.

Quote:

Jailbreaking, while perhaps not illegal in itself, is the key that facilitates app stealing.

There's no perhaps about it. Jailbreaking an iPhone is not illegal. The key that facilitates app stealing is actually stealing the app. That's the crime. Cracking apps, posting cracked apps, etc... that's all illegal with the sole purpose of committing a crime. Jailbreaking no more facilitates the act of the crime than buying an iPhone, using a computer, having an internet, etc... Jailbreaking, like any of these other things, provides all kinds of features and functionality that is perfectly legal and causes harm to no one.
  • Reply 106 of 163
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I have a jailbroken 3GS. I pay for ALL of my apps!!!! I also buy my music on iTunes nowadays. I have no desire to steal software. I want to see hard data that shows the actual numbers of jailbroken phones that have stolen apps on them.

I have only bought 2 books on iBooks. Mostly I used it for view PDFs. Now I will buy from Amazon and use Goodreader, etc.

Thanks Apple, I hope it is worth it to alienate customers. By the way, I think there is already a hack for this nonsense on Cydia.

Of course you do, everyone does and I only use Bit torrent for Open Office.

The world is a wonderful place full of kind and gentle people.
  • Reply 107 of 163
    The Kindle Store already has a significantly better selection of books than iBooks, so all this does is force more users to Amazon. This doesn't have anything to do with DRM or Amazon would have to do the same thing. This is just Apple busting chops over the 100s of 1,000s who have jailbroken their phones.
  • Reply 108 of 163
    There are other reader apps besides iBooks but I wouldn't buy from amazon I'd get epubs.

Amazon ebooks only read from kindle or kindle app. Better to buy ePub which will read from every reader except kindle.

When iBooks gets fixed, it'll play those epubs.

And while your at it, check out Good Reader app for .PDFs. Awesome.
  • Reply 109 of 163
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    Jailbreaking is indeed legal. There are no guarantees that all other legitamate functions need to be supported once jailbroken.

In other words, it's also legal for Apple to not fully support JBd devices.
  • Reply 110 of 163
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Without copyright and patent protections in place, the economic incentive for creating content and inventions disappears and you end up with a non-competitive market as developed as Afghanistan.

The few thousand years of recorded human history where no copyright and patent protection exist, yet literature and scientific discovery were actively pursued, and competitive market existed seem to counter this argument.
  • Reply 111 of 163
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

What I hear apple saying here is they want me to buy kindle books from now on.

Why should we even consider buying iBooks, when they can't even be read on a Mac? I guess Apple is now confident the Mac and Windows versions of iBooks will be available by the June deadline for third parties?
  • Reply 112 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

PREAMBLE

The Preamble of the Constitution does not confer any powers to any portion of the Federal Government.

Article I defines the Legislative branch and powers delegated to it.

I'm sorry, was there a point to this remark? The text is precisely where I said it was, and is precisely what I said it was. Perhaps you have some novel theory about what it means.
  • Reply 113 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

Jailbreaking is 100% legal. Using jailbreaking to steal is not. VCR's are legal. Taping a pay per view and selling it is not. Almost everything on the planet has an illegal use...

This is pretty much what I said, but the analogy you are using would be better stated as:

- VCR's are legal. Buying a VCR with intent to do something illegal is also perfectly legal.

but on the other hand:

- Jailbreaking is legal. Jailbreaking with intent to do something illegal, is illegal.

So in the case of jailbreaking your *intent* matters, whereas you can buy a VCR anywhere and what you intend to do with it is your own business.
  • Reply 114 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is pretty much what I said, but the analogy you are using would be better stated as:

- VCR's are legal. Buying a VCR with intent to do something illegal is also perfectly legal.

but on the other hand:

- Jailbreaking is legal. Jailbreaking with intent to do something illegal, is illegal.

So in the case of jailbreaking your *intent* matters, whereas you can buy a VCR anywhere and what you intend to do with it is your own business.

Yep. I agree.

Buying a car is legal, but buying a car with the intent to drive it off a cliff and collect insurance is illegal. Car manufacturers, however, don't stop cars from driving TO cliffs. That seems to be the rub here.
  • Reply 115 of 163
    jkgmjkgm Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

There is no legal requirement for Apple to support your jailbroken device. Jailbreaking being legal means you can't be prosecuted for doing so, not that Apple has to ensure your device is fully functional after you do so. They haven't denied you access to your books. That's something you did when you jailbroke the device.

That's categorically incorrect. They have denied users access to their books based on the status of their phone. This didn't happen because the device was jailbroken. This happened because Apple checked for the existence of the jailbreak and actively disabled functionality.
  • Reply 116 of 163
    This is now a NON-issue:

See PwnageTool 4.2:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/
  • Reply 117 of 163
    Quote:

I'm sorry, was there a point to this remark? The text is precisely where I said it was, and is precisely what I said it was. Perhaps you have some novel theory about what it means.

Just correcting a minor technicality. You stated that the quote was found in Article I, and it's not. The quote used a portion of the Preamble which is separate from Article I. Also it was not a direct quote from the Preamble. If I'm incorrect, please direct me to the paragraph in Article I you reference.

Article I starts:

Quote:

Article. I. Section. 1. All legislative Powers herein granted shall be

vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.......

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/constitutio...nstitution.pdf
  • Reply 118 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Just correcting a minor technicality. You stated that the quote was found in Article I, and it's not.

It most certainly is. Section 8 of Article I.
  • Reply 119 of 163
    Too bad iBooks will get fixed by the jailbreakers. It is a very simple fix and so i can continue to buy my books just like usual.
  • Reply 120 of 163
    Quote:

It most certainly is. Section 8 of Article I.

I stand corrected. thanks