Why does my iMac spontaneously wake up?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a late 2010 iMac, and sometimes it spontaneously wakes up, usually within a minute or two of being put to sleep. Other times it spontaneously wakes up during the night. I can tell because if it's waking up from a true sleep, the wifi connection takes a few seconds to start up, but when it's just a blackened screen the wifi is instantly available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    I also experienced this problem a few times with an Mac mini. I never knew why.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

I also experienced this problem a few times with an Mac mini. I never knew why.

Generic problem with 10.6.6? Sometimes my iMac will wake up a few seconds after I put it to sleep, before I've even had time to stand up from my chair.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Do you have a sleep schedule set?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Do you have a sleep schedule set?

No, nor do I have any software set to automatically run.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randian View Post

No, nor do I have any software set to automatically run.

I ask because I am interested to know whether the Mac goes to sleep on its own. I would test that.

Also, make sure "wake for network access" is deselected in the Energy Saver preferences.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Also, make sure "wake for network access" is deselected in the Energy Saver preferences.

It is.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I still suggest you try setting a sleep time and seeing if it works. Disconnect any USB or Bluetooth devices or external hard drive you may have connected. You could also try reseting your PRAM.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

I still suggest you try setting a sleep time and seeing if it works.

If by "set a sleep time" you mean set it to sleep after X minutes of inactivity, that works just fine.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Good, but I made a number of other suggestions too.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    An interesting dialogue is worth comment. I feel that you must write extra on this topic, it won't be a taboo subject but typically persons are not enough to talk on such fat loss for idiots To the next. Cheers. fat loss diet