Apple's next iPhone could have 4-inch screen with next-gen A5 processor

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

A person would have to be completely out of touch with reality to believe that Apple's competitors ignore rather than copy Apple's products.

And a person would have to be completely out of touch with reality to believe that Apple doesn't pull ideas and inspiration from the competitors.

If Apple releases a 4 inch screen iPhone, is it "copying" Samsung and their Galaxy S line? If Apple releases a dual core iPhone is it "copying" HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc?

The real truth is that it's a two-way street. No single company holds all the cards in their hands.
  • Reply 82 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The only issue I see with an edge-of-frame display is accidental overlapping presses with the hand that's holding the phone while the other is meant to be doing the tapping. You only have to briefly pick up an iPhone to see what I'm talking about. Even with the existing design, with that small edge the fingers of the holding hand come awful close to the touch screen.

I agree which is why I'm thinking they ultimately rule the edge to edge screen out or they are sacrificing a portion of the screen grid for sensory tactile i/o.
  • Reply 83 of 94
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I think a bigger screen would be an AWESOME move for Apple. I find the current size much too small for my taste.

I know it sounds idiotic, but a bigger screen would have me seriously considering buying an iphone.
  • Reply 84 of 94
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    If Apple chooses to introduce two iPhone models, why does everyone assume the smaller one would be 3"? I would bet they would make a 3.2" version along with a 4" version. 3.2" is big enough to be useful and practical. I would assume they would keep use the resolution of the 3GS for the smaller one and the iPhone 4 for a 4" or larger version.

I have an Evo and I absolutely love that 4.3" display. It really does make a difference to me and would not be happy using only a 3.5" screen regardless of the higher resolution. Actual screen size does make a difference.

But in my case it doesn't matter what Apple releases since I won't give up my SERO premium plan on Sprint for any iPhone. If I wasn't happy with the network or had dropped calls I would switch in a heartbeat, but I am very satisfied with my service. $50 a month vs. around $100 for a similar plan on AT&T or Verizon is a lot of money. I know my patience will pay off either this year or next because I would prefer an iPhone for the apps, but until then I am very content with my Evo. But unless Apple does release at least a 4" or larger version I think they would have a very hard time getting people like me that are used to 4"3 to ever consider an iPhone.
  • Reply 85 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

don't think they'll get rid of the Home Button. They also won't change their design w/o having the entire design patented and already submitted hush/hush to the USPTO.

Remember, they got rid of the click wheel.
  • Reply 86 of 94
    Quote:

Current: 326ppi.

They will adjust the system to make sure the ppi is still Retina. They trademarked the concept to use across their embedded iPhone/iPod Touch solutions.

The thing about "Retina Display" is that it is really a marketing term, not some fixed resolution. If they feel they can sell some lower-resolution device where the pixels are essentially invisible as a "Retina Display", I would not be surprised to see the pixel density drop somewhat.
  • Reply 87 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

What's the point? Is there anything significant that you can do with a 4-inch screen that you can't with a 3.5-inch screen?

Apple did not opt for the form factor of the current iPhone by accident. It carefully weighed various factors and decided that 3.5 inches is the best option.

Apple doesn't care what others are doing re form factor. Whereas the competition was trying to make the 7-inch form factor the standard in the tablet market, Apple is sticking by the 10-inch form factor with great success. It's not like smart phones haven't been available with larger screen until now. They've been out there for a while. Apple still sells the iPhone by the millions. No need to change.

Apple is not oblivious the the efforts of others - they pay attention to what is and is not gaining traction. To do otherwise would speak to an arrogance that would make me a very uncomfortable shareholder.

For a variety of reasons (including cost), Apple chose the 3.5" display. That does not mean that the phone is perfect and the yearly updates reflect that very fact. Apple will improve as they deem necessary and a 4" display could well be seen as a marketable improvement.
  • Reply 88 of 94
    Quote:

I agree. I don't see them scaling up the size of the phone much. I'm sure they've tested designs with the black gap on both sides of the screen to the edge of the frame and a design with the screen to the edge of the frame.

I don't think they'll get rid of the Home Button. They also won't change their design w/o having the entire design patented and already submitted hush/hush to the USPTO.

Definitely agree that the phone should not increase much in total size.

The only thing I am unsure about is how do you go edge-to-edge without triggering false inputs?
  • Reply 89 of 94
    Quote:

If the iPhone's 3.5-inch screen is a problem, why is the device still selling in record numbers?

Are there widespread complaints about the iPhone's size coming from people who are using the device?

You know how this ends. If you get into a size competition, you wind up somewhere no one wants to be. It has never been how Apple does business. Certainly if Apple thought for a second that it was important to go with a larger screen, they'd have made that change a long time ago. There was nothing technical stopping them.

Besides, you have to consider that a well-designed 3.5-inch device will trump a poorly thought-out 4-inch unit with ease. If you're into raw specs, Apple's products will not appeal. If Apple has more impressive specs, there's a tangible gain to be had. The hardware is a means to an end, not merely impressive-sounding for marketing purposes.

The phone is selling in record numbers because it is an excellent design and very capable. That does not mean it it perfect. In fact, Apple needs to deprecate design choices so that they have something new to sell each year.

Apple has no intention of getting into a pissing contest on screen size but they may feel that a larger screen allows them to offer a more marketable device.
  • Reply 90 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well actually there is. If they are making a smaller phone they may also like to increase the bigger one slightly to further differentiate them and give the larger one more of a professional-type-product spin. That's not saying it's going to happen or that I personally want it to happen, but it does makes a certain logic sense. Like the way the shuffle got smaller and smaller and smaller, while the other iPod screens got bigger with eventually going to 3.5".

Like others have said here, I only see it happening (making iPhone 4") if they can do so without changing the actual phone's size, by going edge-to-edge on the left and right of the display. And keeping the absolute resolution 960-by-640.

Agree with all of this but especially how making a larger phone help to open the product position for a smaller device.
  • Reply 91 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

I think Apple should come out with more iPhone models, in 3 different screen sizes, just like there are 3 different sizes of MacBook Pros. If Apple would make an iPhone with a 4" screen, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Here is what I'd like to see:

4.0" iPhone 5: 960x640ppi, dual-core "A5" CPU/GPU, 32 & 64GB

3.5" iPhone 5: 960x640ppi, dual-core "A5" CPU/GPU, 16 & 32GB

3.0" iPhone 5: 480x320ppi, single-core A4 CPU/GPU, 8 & 16GB

I'd like to see two versions:

3.2" with a body significantly smaller then current iphone

4.5" with reduced basel and a body just a bit larger then current iphone

iOS browser should run in full screen mode taking advantage of full screen size - just like Android browser
  • Reply 92 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

3.2" with a body significantly smaller then current iphone

The point being?

Quote:

4.5" with reduced basel and a body just a bit larger then current iphone

The point being?
  • Reply 93 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The point being?

The current 3.5" size is a good middle ground size if Apple makes only one model. But some people demand large phones, while others would not mind iPhone to be a bit smaller. Making 3 phone sizes is probably too many, so if Apple makes 2 different size size phones, then:

A. 3-3.2" would be the smallest soft keyboard-usable smart phone and there still would be no need to change resolution.

B. 4.5" would be about the largest pocketable/single-hand-usable phone and again still no need to change resolution.
  • Reply 94 of 94
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    This isn't an exact science. And while they are pioneers, Apple isn't the god of electronics.

All the companies are learning from each other. And the market decides what screen size is best. Not Apple or any other company.

Quote:

What's the point? Is there anything significant that you can do with a 4-inch screen that you can't with a 3.5-inch screen?

Apple did not opt for the form factor of the current iPhone by accident. It carefully weighed various factors and decided that 3.5 inches is the best option.

Apple doesn't care what others are doing re form factor. Whereas the competition was trying to make the 7-inch form factor the standard in the tablet market, Apple is sticking by the 10-inch form factor with great success. It's not like smart phones haven't been available with larger screen until now. They've been out there for a while. Apple still sells the iPhone by the millions. No need to change.