Microsoft debuts on Mac App Store, Warner movie apps broaden global availability

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's rival Microsoft has launched its first application on the Mac App Store for syncing Windows Phone 7 devices, while movie studio Warner Bros. has begun releasing software on the iOS App Store that includes hit movie titles, allowing the films to be released in countries where the iTunes store is not available.

Windows Phone 7 Connector now on Mac App Store

Microsoft on Wednesday launched the Windows Phone 7 Connector application on the Mac App Store. It is the first application from the Redmond, Wash., software giant available on Apple's new Mac OS X digital download destination.

In addition to allowing users of Windows Phone 7 devices to sync to their Mac, the application also connects to the Zune HD media player. Users can sync music, movies, TV shows and podcasts from their existing iTunes library to their devices, as well as photos and videos from iPhoto.

The free software lets users retrieve videos and photos from their portable device and automatically add them to an existing iPhoto library. It can also be used to browse and preview media items, and download and install operating system updates.

Windows Phone 7 Connector requires a Windows Phone 7 device from any carrier or a Zune HD, as well as a computer running Mac OS X 10.6.6 or higher. It is a 2.6MB download available in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.

Warner Bros. movies come to iOS App Store

Warner Bros. on Wednesday announced the launch of "App Editions" for popular movies "Inception" and "The Dark Knight," both helmed by director Christopher Nolan. The movies are available on the App Store for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, and provide "a fully-loaded, connected viewing experience."

Downloading a free "App Edition" of the movie gives users the first five minutes of the feature film and a portion of bonus content that can include games, trivia, soundtracks and soundboards. Customers can unlock the movie via an in-app purchase, which enables both downloading and unlimited streaming of the film and its bonus content.

The move allows Warner Bros. to sell "Inception" and "The Dark Knight" in over 30 territories, including some which did not have access to films through iTunes. Those countries include China, Brazil and the Netherlands.

"Warner Bros. is bringing more than 100 million Apple device owners a highly innovative new way to experience their favorite films," said Thomas Gewecke, President of Warner Bros. Digital Distribution. "For many, watching a movie is a social activity and App Editions are the first mobile product to deliver this capability on a global scale.

"They offer a fully connected experience, allowing viewers to engage with others around the world in real-time through Facebook and Twitter. In 2011, Warner Bros. will release a full slate of App Editions including new release and catalog films."

Inception: App Edition allows an in-app purchase of the feature film for $11.99, while The Dark Knight: App Edition allows users to view the hit film for $9.99 with an in-app purchase.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luiz henrique gioielli View Post

server error

Hmm. Spambot's having a server error, but the spam still got through, so was there even an error?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Great news from Microsoft, and a great start for Windows Phone 7 Series Series! This is a step in the right direction for a company that has had its head so far up it's own ass that it can see through its own mouth.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

Good for Microsoft! Next up, MS Office!.. even though I'm sticking with iWork.

But the App versions of movies look weird and possibly full of fail. 1 App = 1 movie = fail.

Next up...Note Pad. and then MS Paint
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Looks like Microsoft had the photocopiers out for the Windows 7 Phone syncing application.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Wait for Apple to stop these movie apps cos they bypass the iTunes Movie Store and let Studios price their movies instead of Apple pricing the movies in iTunes.

They are a win for the many areas without an iTunes Movie Store.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The new App Store guidelines specifically ban apps that are just a single song, book or movie presented as an app.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The new App Store guidelines specifically ban apps that are just a single song, book or movie presented as an app.

How did they get approved in the first place and timed so perfectly?
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OmicronTurtle View Post

Wait for Apple to stop these movie apps cos they bypass the iTunes Movie Store and let Studios price their movies instead of Apple pricing the movies in iTunes.

They are a win for the many areas without an iTunes Movie Store.

Yea, I think it sounds interesting, but I was wondering how the Warner app would jibe with this from Apples new app guidelines:

"Apps that are simply a song or movie should be submitted to the iTunes store. Apps that are simply a book should be submitted to the iBookstore."

I appreciate what Apple is trying to do, but this is really sounding restrictive for companies trying to innovate on the platform.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VdkaShaker View Post

Yea, I think it sounds interesting, but I was wondering how the Warner app would jibe with this from Apples new app guidelines:

"Apps that are simply a song or movie should be submitted to the iTunes store. Apps that are simply a book should be submitted to the iBookstore."

I appreciate what Apple is trying to do, but this is really sounding restrictive for companies trying to innovate on the platform.

It sounds that the Apps are more than just a movie though. They will contain "bonus content that can include games, trivia, soundtracks and soundboards."

Qualifies for Apples new rules I think.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:

From the article:

Quote:

Downloading a free "App Edition" of the movie gives users the first five minutes of the feature film and a portion of bonus content that can include games, trivia, soundtracks and soundboards.

So it sounds to me like a little more than just a movie being presented as an app.

Quote:

Customers can unlock the movie via an in-app purchase, which enables both downloading and unlimited streaming of the film and its bonus content.

Nice of them to include some options for those who go for this. If I were to get movies through iTunes, I personally prefer to have them in my movies library rather than to have them in an app.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Looks like Microsoft had the photocopiers out for the Windows 7 Phone syncing application.

I thought the purpose of GUI guidelines were so the user had a consistant experience across applications, or would you rather them design something that looked strange in OSX?
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Inception: App Edition allows an in-app purchase of the feature film for $11.99, while The Dark Knight: App Edition allows users to view the hit film for $9.99 with an in-app purchase.

In certain European countries the prices for in-app purchase of these old movies are closer to 21 USD than to 12 USD. So much for global availability..
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Sorry AppleInsider, but this is not Microsoft's first app. They had a photo app early on.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Why mix these utterly divergent stories into one thread? Is this some kind of gag meant to increase clicks? It just creates a pile of mixed responses that makes following and posting in the threads even more confusing than they normally are.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    I don't quite see how the Warner app goes against the guidelines? You buy through in-app purchase (controlled iTunes/Apple), so Apple will get its 30% cut! Don't see how things can go wrong… and this is a new app, an therefore the guidelines should have been enforced prior to store release.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

These so called 'App Movies' contain more than just a movie as an app. They are ultimately a vehicle for purchasing (or renting?) a movie so I am not sure how that works with Apple's new In App purchase deal but they supposedly add value by containing more than just the theatrical presentation. There are many photos, games, interviews and the similar kind of stuff that would be called 'extras' on a DVD or BR disk - only it is supposed to be a bunch more. Since I have no idea what Apple had negotiated for movie distribution thru iTunes directly (either for rental or for sale) it is hard to say if the 30% for In App purchase compares favorably. Who knows if this is a good or a bad deal. I guess as long as the price matches or beats what they have available for download elsewhere then its cool with Apple - but that would only be thru them (the distributors e.g., WB) exclusively I assume, not an agent, such as Amazon, NetFlix, etc. This gets more complicated as it goes on and could ultimately become something the Feds will stick there nose into re:anti-trust if it ends up fixing prices (thru 3rd parties).
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

How did they get approved in the first place and timed so perfectly?

Likely because it isn't just the movie.

My question is how this opens up international sales. Wouldn't Warners be the ones restricting content from iTunes in the first place
  • Reply 19 of 31
    these topics are horribly disparate and it's distracting.

Anyway

Why go through so much trouble creating Apps and not work towards offering them on a fully international itunes? Seems like they're just confusing the market. Like this thread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I thought the purpose of GUI guidelines were so the user had a consistant experience across applications, or would you rather them design something that looked strange in OSX?

There's consistency and then there's that app. I mean who cares. You know the old adage, "Imitation... etc". You don't get copied if you're not "it".
  • Reply 20 of 31
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    The first five minutes; ooohh, those are usually the best out of the whole movie.