Apple's Steve Jobs reportedly seen at California's Stanford Cancer Center

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs was apparently spotted recently at the Stanford Cancer Center in California, and photos are reportedly set to be published in the next issue of a major American tabloid.

According to RadarOnline, Jobs was seen at the cancer treatment center in Palo Alto, Calif., the same facility where actor Patrick Swayze was given chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer in 2009. Photos of the Apple co-founder are allegedly set to appear in the next issue of The National Enquirer.

One photo said to be published shows Jobs allegedly getting out of his car at the clinic, just a day after he was apparently spotted putting in "a full day's work" at Apple's Cupertino, Calif., campus. The pictures have not yet been made public.

Jobs announced in mid-January that he was taking a medical leave of absence from his daily role at Apple, though he has stayed on as the company's chief executive. In a letter to employees, Jobs revealed that he was taking a "medical leave of absence" to focus on his health, but declined to disclose his condition and asked that his privacy be respected.

The alleged sighting of Jobs at Stanford Cancer Center would bolster assumptions that the Apple CEO has relapsed, prompting his departure. In January, The New York Times indicated that Jobs had been appearing at the Apple corporate campus less frequently, looked "increasing emaciated," and was on a "down cycle" in recent weeks. Jobs turns 56 next Thursday, Feb. 24.

Jobs underwent surgery for pancreatic cancer in 2004. Then, in 2009, Jobs traveled to Switzerland for additional cancer treatment, and received a liver transplant before returning to work once again.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    God bless....speedy recovery Steve.
  • Reply 2 of 81
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Photos of the Apple co-founder are allegedly set to appear in the next issue of The National Enquirer.

National Inquirer, you say. Then it's got to be fact.
  • Reply 3 of 81
    damn. Hope it's just a checkup of some kind.
  • Reply 4 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

National Inquirer, you say. Then it's got to be fact.

They were right about John Edwards and more recently, John Boehner's affair.
  • Reply 5 of 81
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Leave the man alone!!!!

Pestering a cancer patient coming out of treatment- nothing is below the twisted minds of the paparazzi slime.
  • Reply 6 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

God bless....speedy recovery Steve.

Well said. Good that it was the first comment!
  • Reply 7 of 81
    Pretty crappy to publish this stuff. It would absolutely suck to have your personal life on display all the time.
  • Reply 8 of 81
    Anybody with a semblance of intuition realizes that Steve Jobs is extremely ill but leave it to the tabloid ghouls to destroy the man's privacy and dignity. I hope those who appreciate Steve Jobs contributions will refrain from buying the National Enquirer as they attempt to cash in on his misery.
  • Reply 9 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Pretty crappy to publish this stuff. It would absolutely suck to have your personal life on display all the time.

It's a republish. It's not like Appleinsider stalk him in perpetuity. Are you not interested?
  • Reply 10 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Anybody with a semblance of intuition realizes that Steve Jobs is extremely ill but leave it to the tabloid ghouls to destroy the man's privacy and dignity. I hope those who appreciate Steve Jobs contributions will refrain from buying the National Enquirer as they attempt to cash in on his misery.

That'll make a difference. Well done.
  • Reply 11 of 81
    That's what concerned me about his statement when he went on his current leave. It specifically stated that he hopes to return to Apple soon. Pancreatic cancer, whipple procedure surgery, marked weight loss, liver transplant and now this? We know his time is coming. No one lives 20 years, much less 5 - 10 years will all those things. My thoughts are with him and I am confident that Apple will succeed without him.
  • Reply 12 of 81
    So is AAPL down $3/share in After Hours trading because the Enquirer notes that a cancer survivor was seen at a cancer center (common), and states that he “only has weeks to live”?
  • Reply 13 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

So is AAPL down $3/share in After Hours trading because the Enquirer notes that a cancer survivor was seen at a cancer center (common), and states that he ?only has weeks to live??

Or maybe it is down $3 on growing concerns that the iTunes 30% money grab might backfire? Or maybe it has to do with growing unrest in the middle east, or perhaps reactions to movements in the US budget battle or....

You can't look at a stock price reation and link it to a single news piece and rule out all other happening around the world.
  • Reply 14 of 81
    I wish Mr. Jobs only the best. He is truly a visionary. Good luck.
  • Reply 15 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mimsyswallows View Post

It's a republish. It's not like Appleinsider stalk him in perpetuity. Are you not interested?

I was talking about whatever rag is actually publishing it. I'm not sure how I feel about AI republishing it once it is out there. If I was Steve, I would probably be pretty pissed either way.
  • Reply 16 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Or maybe it is down $3 on growing concerns that the iTunes 30% money grab might backfire? Or maybe it has to do with growing unrest in the middle east, or perhaps reactions to movements in the US budget battle or....

You can't look at a stock price reation and link it to a single news piece and rule out all other happening around the world.

You can if the stock plunges strongly, suddenly and coincides precisely with the release of a particular news story.
  • Reply 17 of 81
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

So is AAPL down $3/share in After Hours trading because the Enquirer notes that a cancer survivor was seen at a cancer center (common), and states that he “only has weeks to live”?

$3 is only 0.76%, and is less than Apple was up during the regular trading day. I don't think you can read anything into a blip that small.
  • Reply 18 of 81
    Sadly pancreatic cancer has a desperately low survival rate. We think of men like Steve Jobs as characters in a tech story so much of the time but he is a human being in pain and I wish the press would try to show decency in how they report these things.

Let's just hope Steve Jobs can beat the statistics and keep doing what he's done so well for so long. He talks about his family often, I've always liked that about him. I hope he can beat this and have many years with them. Apple is a company that sells things worth a few hundred dollars, Steve Jobs is a human being who is priceless to his family and we wish him well.
  • Reply 19 of 81
    Very sad indeed.

I wish Steve the best and GOD bless him.
  • Reply 20 of 81
    This could be nothing at all, but if the media rolls out their sensational "Is Steve Jobs on death's door?" BS reporting methodology, the stock could tumble 10% or more. People don't sell on fact, they trade on fear. Equally so they buy on hype. One barely known analyst came out and said Netflix was only worth $80/share when it was selling at $180 a few months ago, and it dropped to $165 before rebounding to over $237 now.