Apple details GSM, CDMA iPhone differences, AT&T CEO disparages App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    As far as CDMA (Verizon), every day more information is displayed showing how inferior it really is compared to GSM (AT&T). CDMA does not support HOLD, SWAP, DROP of calls? Are you kidding me? Plus, I have to enter all these codes to enable services like caller-id? It's a joke.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Hmmm...if I recall from my history books, AT&T invented:

-The first Digital Computer

-Transistor

-UNIX, which is the foundation of MAC OS

-Cellular Networks

Seems Apple has also relied upon AT&T's accomplishments

Exactly why I find AT&T's failure to innovate in services so disappointing.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    They forgot:

Make a Telephone Call
    N/A
    Dial any number
  • Reply 24 of 66
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Sounds like sour grapes.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Call Forwarding -

GSM: Turn on or Off in Settings>iPhone

CDMA: Dial *72 (plus forwarding phone number) to turn on. Dial *73 to turn off.

I'm surprised the CDMA iPhone doesn't just offer the same option in Settings>iPhone, and then automatically dial *72 etc in the background.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The CDMA version of the iPhone, however, is unable to place a call on hold.

I thought the GSM version now just did mute. But tap and hold mute for "hold" eh?

Surely a CDMA iPhone could offer "mute" and a fake "hold".
  • Reply 26 of 66
    What is this guy talking about? No one expects to use a PS3 game on a Wii or XBox. No one expects to use an iPhone app on an Android phone. He has never heard anyone complain about this. He's making up problems so he can feel better about being mad at Apple since they got the better end of the deal in their relationship together.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Not me for sure. I am not as happy as I would with my GSM iPhone, but I am fine. Everyone does need the same features, but it is good to have it just in case.

This distinction will make most people think twice about switching from AT&T to Verizon.

My most dislike for the CDMA iPhone, is not being able to search and talk at the same time. I fell in love with my first iPhone in 2007, when I realized it could do that. And I am still in love with my iPhone 4 with GSM radio.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Mmm... I guess AT&T don't want iPhone customers anymore. Talk about biting the hand...!
  • Reply 29 of 66
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 30 of 66
    Sounds like Stephenson needs to change his adult diapers. Sit down, grandpa.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Hmmm...if I recall from my history books, AT&T invented:

-The first Digital Computer

-Transistor

-UNIX, which is the foundation of MAC OS

-Cellular Networks

Seems Apple has also relied upon AT&T's accomplishments

You forgot that Al Gore invented the Internet.

• Reply 32 of 66
    deleted
  • Reply 33 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Hi allmypeople,

Welcome to the world of HTML5. Glad you can join us.

Everyone throws the HTML5 buzzword around.... Once you get into it, you quickly realize it's limitations and understand why it is far from being a standard. If HTML5 is the big OPEN future of the web, it's not an exciting future.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Quote:

Wasn't that why he was added to Apple's Board?

LOL... great reply!!
  • Reply 35 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Sounds like Stephenson needs to change his adult diapers. Sit down, grandpa.

Grandpa? He's younger than Jobs.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    deleted
  • Reply 37 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

The VP of USA slot is already taken, but if they ever need another moronic foot in mouth Biden replacement, I know where they can find one!

/

/

/

Unless Biden has sounded off on matters Apple, why not leave him, and gratuitous political comments out of this site? I say this as one who has been guilty of this in the past, but am trying to mend my ways. Peace.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    Quote:

Steve Jobs disagrees with you.

Apparently not: http://www.apple.com/html5/
  • Reply 39 of 66
    Yep..
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbsteph View Post

I like the idea of apps working across different platforms. This allows the consumer to change without having to pay for the same thing twice (Or more). Probably unrealistic to expect the various OS developers to be excited about such a concept. But, I could see app developers making such a promise - call it "insurance".

This is why at the outset, Steve Jobs tried in vain to keep application development for the iPhone Web-only.

There was a massive outcry from developers for a native SDK, and now they've got their wish and we've got our native apps, we want it both ways.

You can't really have native and portable apps at the same time, not without conforming to one standard, and HTML5 is the future in that respect.