Apple's Steve Jobs to meet with President Obama on Thursday

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple CEO Steve Jobs will reportedly join Google chief executive Eric Schmidt and Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg in a meeting with US President Barack Obama in San Francisco on Thursday.

Though recent reports have alleged that Jobs' health has continued to decline, the executive is scheduled to attend a business leaders' event with President Obama Thursday evening, a source told ABC News.

Google's Schmidt, who will step down as CEO in April; GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt, the newly named chairman of the White House Council on Jobs and Competitiveness, and Facebook's Zuckerberg will also be in attendance, according to sources familiar with the meeting.

?The president and the business leaders will discuss our shared goal of promoting American innovation, and discuss his commitment to new investments in research and development, education and clean energy,? a White House official said.

Jobs and President Obama met in October of last year to discuss the US technology industry and the economy. At the time, White house press secretary Robert Gibbs said that the President was "eager" to talk with the CEO.

In December 2010, Obama cited Jobs as an impressive example of the American dream.

"Something that's always been the greatest strength of America is a thriving, booming middle class, where everybody has got a shot at the American dream. And that should be our goal. That should be what we're focused on," the President said. "How are we creating opportunity for everybody? So that we celebrate wealth. We celebrate somebody like a Steve Jobs, who has created two or three different revolutionary products. We expect that person to be rich, and that's a good thing."

Though Jobs has kept a relatively low profile during his medical leave, which he announced in January, rampant speculation on his condition continues to abound. Jobs stayed on as Apple's chief executive and continues to be involved in major strategic decisions as he works from home.

RadarOnline reported Wednesday that Jobs had been spotted at the Stanford Cancer Clinic in Palo Alto, Calif. According to a recent report, Jobs, who turns 56 next week, had been in a "down cycle" for weeks and appeared "increasingly emaciated."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 121
    I'd imagine Obama wants to ask these tech titans if they could contribute to paying down our national deficit. But then, he will really use the donations to fund entitlements in the ultimate demonstration of wealth redistribution. LOL
  • Reply 2 of 121
    YAWN! "promoting American innovation" by indebting generations into the future... aka "investments in research and development, education and clean energy". Can you say "quantitative easing" -- yes that means INFLATION!

Whenever you read or hear "investments", like in the State of the Union address, it means INFLATION! I hate to tell everyone, but the US is sinking in debt, borrowing money like a drunken sailor, and "investments" only mean MORE DEBT which ultimately means a lower standard of living in the US. It's not about "jobs", it's about bigger government involvement in redistributing more stolen money from We The People. It is the middle class that is targeted for destruction in this nation -- transfer payments must be halted -- yes, that also includes transfers payments (corporate welfare) to companies.

Did you all notice how basic things like food and energy prices keep going up?! Yes, that's the inflation, due to "investment".

Government should get OUT of education -- clearly something left to the States or We The People in the Constitution. So obviously NO federal dollars stolen from We The People should be redistributed to schools for Apple products either.

Enough is enough, smaller government is the solution.

Everyone here would be well-served to learn more about the Constitution:

http://constitutingamerica.org/

• Reply 3 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

YAWN! "promoting American innovation" by indebting generations into the future... aka "investments in research and development, education and clean energy". Can you say "quantitative easing" -- yes that means INFLATION!

Whenever you read or hear "investments", like in the State of the Union address, it means INFLATION! I hate to tell everyone, but the US is sinking in debt, borrowing money like a drunken sailor, and "investments" only mean MORE DEBT which ultimately means a lower standard of living in the US. It's not about "jobs", it's about bigger government involvement in redistributing more stolen money from We The People. It is the middle class that is targeted for destruction in this nation -- transfer payments must be halted -- yes, that also includes transfers payments (corporate welfare) to companies.

Did you all notice how basic things like food and energy prices keep going up?! Yes, that's the inflation, due to "investment".

Government should get OUT of education -- clearly something left to the States or We The People in the Constitution. So obviously NO federal dollars stolen from We The People should be redistributed to schools for Apple products either.

Enough is enough, smaller government is the solution.

Everyone here would be well-served to learn more about the Constitution:

http://constitutingamerica.org/

I mean, never mind that those patriots Reagan and Bush Deux are the two presidents that got the US into the massive amount of debt they are in. I mean come on. We had to finance massive tax cuts for the rich and fight godless communism and Islamofascism. But now the $10 trillion of debt were are in is all the fault of "president" Osama - I mean Obama. Jeez. He wasn't even born in America. What does he know about red meat eating, flag waving America? Nothing. And the middle class, of course Obama is targeting that. Forget that the middle class has been stagnant since the mid-1970s, while the income of the top 1% in the US has grown stratospherically. Its all Obama! Now I'm off to watch that patriot Glen Beck on Fox News - the only channel I watch, except for when I have my head shoved up my own ass.
  • Reply 4 of 121
    "...booming middle class, where everybody has got a shot at the American dream. And that should be our goal.

Apparently our president thinks our country is comprised of middle and upper class.
  • Reply 5 of 121
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

?The president and the business leaders will discuss our shared goal of promoting American innovation, and discuss his commitment to new investments in research and development, education and clean energy,? a White House official said.

no doubt they'll also be discussing that tax holiday for corporations so they can bring in a trillion bucks from their offshore accounts ... tax free.
  • Reply 6 of 121
    What about Ballmer? He's probably throwing chairs 'coz he's so pissed at not being invited.
  • Reply 7 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Apparently our president thinks our country is comprised of middle and upper class.

By definition, it is.

It also includes the lower class which you glaringly did not mention.
  • Reply 8 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

I mean, never mind that those patriots Reagan and Bush Deux are the two presidents that got the US into the massive amount of debt they are in. I mean come on. We had to finance massive tax cuts for the rich and fight godless communism and Islamofascism. But now the $10 trillion of debt were are in is all the fault of "president" Osama - I mean Obama. Jeez. He wasn't even born in America. What does he know about red meat eating, flag waving America? Nothing. And the middle class, of course Obama is targeting that. Forget that the middle class has been stagnant since the mid-1970s, while the income of the top 1% in the US has grown stratospherically. Its all Obama! Now I'm off to watch that patriot Glen Beck on Fox News - the only channel I watch, except for when I have my head shoved up my own ass.

Wow. What if I told you that the government isn't controlling anything. Perhaps it's the banking system... Check it out. Don't ever blame a political party for something you don't like until you research it.
  • Reply 9 of 121
    Quote:

I always find it funny when people say "finance tax cuts".
  • Reply 10 of 121
    Zuckerberg? He builds ONE website that goes viral and now he's meeting the president? I mean, Steve Jobs only had to start TWO technology revolutions and get his face on the cover of Time Magazine twice to get to this point. Where are the standards? And Schmidt? Don't even get me started.

Maybe Obama's gonna ask these guys why he can't get iTunes, GMail, or Facebook on his Zune and Blackberry
  • Reply 11 of 121
    Quote:

I mean, never mind that those patriots Reagan and Bush Deux are the two presidents that got the US into the massive amount of debt they are in. I mean come on.

No President ever spends money. They send forth a budget to Congress of the programs and direction they wish to take the country but what the President's budget proposes and what finally comes about from Congress, the Constitutional authority for appropriations, are two different things, be it for Reagan's budger or Obama's. However, it would be interesting to see who controlled the power of the purse in the House of Representatives, the true spenders of money, during our country's times of economic turmoil... Republicans?... Democrats?... And who was in control during the vaunted budget surpluses during the Clinton years...

Quote:

Now I'm off to watch that patriot Glen Beck on Fox News - the only channel I watch, except for when I have my head shoved up my own ass.

When your heads up there, is that where you watch MSNBC?!

On a side note, if Jobs does meet with Obama, guess that kinda throws a wrench, hopefully, into the photos National Enquire has of "him".

/

/

/
  • Reply 12 of 121
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Maybe the president will inquire about those Made In Shenzhen/Assembled by Foxconn 'working conditions', and why more of those jobs can't be done in America?
  • Reply 13 of 121
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Obama: "How can I get a piece of this action?"
  • Reply 14 of 121
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Ah, the continuing Obama idea that the US is going to invent it's way out of trouble. It saves him from the unpopular cuts that will actually be required.
  • Reply 15 of 121
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Maybe the president will inquire about those Made In Shenzhen/Assembled by Foxconn 'working conditions', and why more of those jobs can't be done in America?

I think the reason's pretty clear. And anyone who pretends not to understand the reason is delusional.
  • Reply 16 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

By definition, it is.

It also includes the lower class which you glaringly did not mention.

Not to sound disparaging, but it probably wasn't mentioned, because the "lower class" are not job creators or wealth expanders but drain the economy from those who do through programs designed to keep them enslaved in their social-economic status dependent upon those that provide them assistance. The lower class has one power... the ability to vote. Which is a shame. Not their right to vote, but that politicians will promise them scraps to improve their lot, versus say, working on ways to enhance their status or economic situation or however you'd like to define it, so there is no lower class. (and I'm not talking about teenager who has their first job at a fast food restaurant, but those in later stages in life, actual families, that are not doing as well in a country as rich and opportunistic as ours.

Something politicians will never do for the lower class... "Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Because that could eventually put that politician out of work.

Instead, they ""Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day." Thus requiring them to come back and say, "Please Sir, I want some more." Not good.

/

/

/
  • Reply 17 of 121
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Ah, the continuing Obama idea that the US is going to invent it's way out of trouble. It saves him from the unpopular cuts that will actually be required.

Isn't that just the American Way of looking at the world?

It seems to me that I've heard that from at least the few presidents going back to Reagan. Carter tried to tell you to get a grip, but who wanted to listen to that Debbie Downer, eh?

• Reply 18 of 121
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Yes, but then Ballmer really should be there too, shouldn't he? I hear the xbox finally sells well, and is built there too, right?
  • Reply 19 of 121
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    What is the great Steve Jobs doing meeting with that loser for? Apple is a very successful company, one of the biggest, and Obama is anti-business. If I were Steve, I'd rather spend a few hours visiting a horrible Microsoft Store instead of meeting with Obama.

• Reply 20 of 121
    Seems to me that SJ, Zuckerberg and Schmidt all have, among other things, cogent analyses about the issues for some American companies trying to do business in China, both to manufacture devices as well as to try to sell into the Chinese market. This is a very big deal. Given the major problems that both Facebook and Google are having and the apparent beginnings by Apple to make inroads in China's mobile market, these folks maybe worth talking to, besides their donation capacities.