Apple exploring all-in-one MagSafe power and data connector

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple could add an optical signal path to future MagSafe connectors on Macs, allowing the magnetic port to send and receive data, as well as power the device.

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office this week published a new patent application from Apple named "Magnetic Connector with Optical Signal Path." Discovered by AppleInsider, the document describes a single cable that would provide both power and data to a mobile device, like a MacBook Pro, using a single cable.

Like Apple's existing, patented MagSafe adapters, the new cable would allow for "easy disengagement" due to the use of magnets to attach and properly secure the cable.

Apple's application notes that there are two major needs the portable computers must satisfy if the notebook is to serve as a proper desktop replacement. The first is the need for a power source, since modern batteries often cannot get through an entire workday, while the second is the ability to transfer data over a physical connection.

"Presently, satisfying these two requires at least two connections to the mobile device; one for power and one for data transmission," the application reads. "But including two (or more) connectors increases cost and consume space, typically along the side of the mobile device. It also requires the user to make two separate connections, thus limiting the usefulness and desirability of the mobile computing format."

Apple's filing also notes that the use of two cables can clutter a user's workspace and degrade the mobile computing experience. More cables also increase the likelihood of a user tripping over one and potentially damaging their computer.

"Thus, what is needed are circuits, apparatus, and methods that provide a power and data transfer system that can supply both power and data to a laptop or other mobile computing device," the application states.

Apple's solution would include a fiber optic line inside a connector that looks much like the existing MagSafe power connector found on its line of MacBooks. But it would include additional "pins" inside the connector to allow data transfer for multiple types of inputs.

Potential input methods listed by Apple include USB, fiber-optic, local area networking (LAN) cables, DVI video, and DisplayPort. Corresponding connectors for these devices would be included on the power and data adapter.

In addition, Apple's proposed invention would allow separate external devices to communicate with one another via the power and data adapter. For example, two or more USB devices could communicate with each other and transfer data between one another over the adapter.

Like a similar patent awarded to Apple last fall, the application revealed this week could offer a glimpse into the company's potential plans with Intel's high-speed Light Peak optical cable technology. Intel aims to offer mobile devices bandwidth of 10Gbps, scaling up to 100GBps over the next decade, with its next-generation cable.

Apple has shown great interest in Light Peak and has been "pushing" the chipmaker to bring it to market. Light Peak would allow Apple to roll networking, display, and peripheral cables all into one master cable, much like is described in the latest patent application.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    I thought that was designed to replace USB and also deliver power (to peripherals).

So if Apple are going to create their own data transfer cable, will they license it as a standard, as they have done with Quicktime? Or are we once again going to have to spend extra dollar on Apple only cables and peripherals, like those in the iDevice ecosystem?

If so, I'm abandoning OS X and iOS and going 100% Android and Chrome, so I can save money.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

I thought that was designed to replace USB and also deliver power (to peripherals).

So if Apple are going to create their own data transfer cable, will they license it as a standard, as they have done with Quicktime? Or are we once again going to have to spend extra dollar on Apple only cables and peripherals, like those in the iDevice ecosystem?

If so, I'm abandoning OS X and iOS and going 100% Android and Chrome, so I can save money.

Good luck on doing anything at all on Chrome OS then.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:

Why are you here?

Nothing more annoying than "fandroids" pretending to be mac enthusiasts on forums.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    You go all that trouble to create a single connector, then have two cables out going in different directions to different sources? One data, one power?

The data brick as pictured would have to have some sort of power source of its own, so why not a single cable from brick to connector?

What are you going to do with the integrated data cable when you unplug and leave the desk? You still need the power cable attached to the transformer.

This could be simplified at a single stroke. Have the data/power brick with its own combo data/power cable to connect to the computer that stays on the desk. A separate power only cable/transformer that you take with you.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Quote:

Peripheral makers adopt Light Peak, there will need to be some sort of adaptive interface. No matter who does it. If you are using cable connections, there still has to be a cable from each device and all the clutter which comes with that.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Would love to see this. It also has the feature that I have been hanging out to see on data connectors for so long ? that you can plug it in any which way. That is upside down aswell.

USB and FireWire (and especially firewire 800) connectors are such a pain in the ass to plug in, you're guaranteed to try and plug it in upside down almost 50% of the time! Should be simple, but how many times do you get it wrong?

Can they send data bi-directionally with only one light pipe? I guess so, given that the light is shone in a particular direction from each end.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    More proprietary cables... Can anyone tell me how the proprietary iPod/iPhone cable benefits consumers more than a standard USB cable would?

And isn't having this kind of double cable somewhat anti-apple? I mean, when you don't have a USB device plugged in you've still got this loos cable flapping around? I think a more apple-like solution would be to eliminate all USB/Firewire connectivity to save space and promote MobileMe backups/cloud services...
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

More proprietary cables... Can anyone tell me how the proprietary iPod/iPhone cable benefits consumers more than a standard USB cable would?

And isn't having this kind of double cable somewhat anti-apple? I mean, when you don't have a USB device plugged in you've still got this loos cable flapping around? I think a more apple-like solution would be to eliminate all USB/Firewire connectivity to save space and promote MobileMe backups/cloud services...

Light peak is supposed to be marketed as the do anything/everything cabling system that (hopefully) replaces all the others. It's not supposed to be exclusive/proprietary but introduced as a new industry standard.

Someone has to take the first step of actually using it.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

The iPod cable (30pin) supplies power, data, analog audio, video, and more (for 3rd party peripherals).
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

You go all that trouble to create a single connector, then have two cables out going in different directions to different sources? One data, one power?

The data brick as pictured would have to have some sort of power source of its own, so why not a single cable from brick to connector?

Agreed. An aTV sized box with USB, FireWire, DisplayPort, etc. with a MagSafe & Light Peak combined cable would be the better way to go.

But a portable device (laptop at least) also needs "normal" connectivity built in - headphone jack, USB, ethernet. What's the point of having a laptop if you also HAVE to carry around this connectivity dongle? Yes, it could be the power brick, but there are times you need/want to plug things in without bothering with the power brick.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    This isn't Apple technology, it's Intel technology. You can bet Intel won't make Light Peak Apple-only so stop the worrying about that. 10Gbit/s is tasty! It would solve a problem that has half stopped me investing in an Apple Display. I use Firewire800 drives and couldn't leave them connected to the display and only use the one data cable as things stand. I'd be limited to 400Mbit/s (not sure if the Apple Display even has a FW800 input).

Anyway, I think it should be pointed out that the article incorrectly states the speeds involved. It's GigaBITS per second not GigaBYTES. Out by a factor of 8. It doesn't help that the B is capitalised and then not capitalised in the same sentence at the end of the article. It might seem picky, but it's a different unit and we're geeks here!

I fear that Light Peak might have stiff competition from USB3. Many PC manufacturers aren't exactly known for innovation and I think they'll stick to the safe again. FW is claimed to be superior to USB but USB clearly won that war. We need faster speeds from cables, it'll be interesting to see who wins the next race.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    I hope they do this. Still, they should not have a patent on it. Magsafe (unless there was prior art) SHOULD be patentable because as far as I know it was not done before.

The addition of fiber or data to power is not new. Both fiber and power combined and power and data combined have been used in aircraft, computing and telecomunications.

There is plenty of prior art out there for power/data/optical configurations out there.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

FW is claimed to be superior to USB but USB clearly won that war. We need faster speeds from cables, it'll be interesting to see who wins the next race.

FW is technically superior. But it lost the marketing war and hasn't been advanced for lack of market support. There was a FW 3200 developed quite some time ago. It's never been sold.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

The iPod cable (30pin) supplies power, data, analog audio, video, and more (for 3rd party peripherals).

USB can provide all of those things except analog audio, which is anyways provided by the headphone jack on an ipod or iphone. Cowon and iRiver both use microUSB for their connections (Cowon adds mini HDMI for it's 1080p products), and it makes life simpler. Forgetting a proprietary cable at home is not as troublesome as forgetting a USB cable at home, for example.

The iPod cable seems to be a way of squeezing extra money out of people who have to pay for docks/"connection kits" when a simple USB cable could provide basically all of the same functionality.

What would be great would be a patent-free universal cable that delivers power, high digital throughput, and a few channels of analogue. My office has about 12 different kinds of cables connecting various pieces of equipment to each other and/or the wall. How about some streamlining?
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

True, but it's a rare person who connects it to anything other than USB, and most third party vendors use the audio port instead.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    Like many others have said:

I like the fact that I can take my computer with me to a meeting or something and leave the powerbrick at my office, hence the portable computer.

Imagine this scenorio:

Can I copy the files from your computer to my usb-stick?

No, I left my powerbrick at my desk..

_____

My thinking is that this is researched as some kind of docking station, Apple style. Sold as an accessory.

Hopefully the ports on the computer stays the same.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Good luck on doing anything at all on Chrome OS then.

I don't understand why people say they are "switching to Chrome OS". It's not even out yet for general consumption. You can only get it if you request one of their beta laptops.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Most business-oriented laptops call this concept a docking station.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by veblen View Post

I don't understand why people say they are "switching to Chrome OS". It's not even out yet for general consumption. You can only get it if you request one of their beta laptops.

I think people are claiming it to be their next OS because it is not Apple or MS. However, Chrome OS is a very limited system at the moment. I don't know why these people aren't saying they'll jump to Linux (Ubuntu/Mint, openSuSe, Fedora, etc...) instead of the Chrome OS. Its cool, but not THAT cool yet.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:

Bit of a drama queen, aren't you? First off, there's no point in getting too caught up in stuff like this. Apple researches all manner of things as I imagine most other companies do. It would be a pretty crazy company with some strange and interesting products if they actually followed through with most of their patents.

As for whatever cable comes along, if it is far superior to alternative choices that's great. If it serves an important dedicated purpose that's great. Otherwise Apple doesn't tend to bother with it. And the cost? If you're worried about spending maybe another $4 on a cable then you're not a Mac user anyway?you can save a lot more building your own PC or buying bargain basement hardware and running Linux.