Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Hmmm...if I recall from my history books, AT&T invented:

-The first Digital Computer

-Transistor

-UNIX, which is the foundation of MAC OS

-Cellular Networks

Seems Apple has also relied upon AT&T's accomplishments

I don't recall AT&T doing anything other than buying Unix System 5 Revision 4 (SVR4) which they promptly resold.

And by the way, what you call AT&T is simply one of the "Baby Bells", the regional subdivisions into which the original monopoly AT&T was broken up into. It simply changed its name from SBC to Cingular to AT&T, and by no means represents the AT&T of technological history (Bell Labs) that you are referring to...
  • Reply 42 of 66
    To only their customers, the thing I like most about the apple environment is that I don't need a carrier, my kids iPod touches can access the app store and my future wifi only iPad can as well.
  • Reply 43 of 66
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 44 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post

AT&T is a network provider. It would serve them positively if they remembered that and didn't try their "big me-little you" game on the consuming public. Since the user pooling data says, BY FAR, AT&T has the absolutely the WORST CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE OF ANY NETWORK PROVIDER - ON EARTH !!!

So AT&T (Also known by the old timers as SBC), SIT DOWN - SHUT UP - DELIVER WORTHWHILE BANDWIDTH. Otherwise, we don't need you.

The man is relapsing back to when Telcos dictated the Phone and what went on them.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

I don't recall AT&T doing anything other than buying Unix System 5 Revision 4 (SVR4) which they promptly resold.

And by the way, what you call AT&T is simply one of the "Baby Bells", the regional subdivisions into which the original monopoly AT&T was broken up into. It simply changed its name from SBC to Cingular to AT&T, and by no means represents the AT&T of technological history (Bell Labs) that you are referring to...

And that's why AT&T Labs averages 3 patents issued per day?
  • Reply 46 of 66
    They actually called it WAC!

so very wac..
  • Reply 47 of 66
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,049member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Hmmm...if I recall from my history books, AT&T invented:

-The first Digital Computer

-Transistor

-UNIX, which is the foundation of MAC OS

-Cellular Networks

Seems Apple has also relied upon AT&T's accomplishments

Except for maybe the "Cellular Networks", I think you're referring to Bell Labs. Bell Telephone Lab was originally a partnership between Western Electric and ATT. ATT eventually merged with or bought out Western Electric and renamed it ATT Bell Labs. In the mid 90's, ATT Bell Labs was split off to form Lucent Technology. Lucent eventually merged with Alcatel and is now known as Alcatel-Lucent. Though the ATT now, consist of many of the "baby Bell's" that were split off from it during their breakup, the original ATT Bell Labs is not one of them.

And if I remember last, Apple did use some Lucent Technology components in their original Airport.

P.S. I glad to finally be able to use this info. I did a little research on Lucent Technology back in the early 2000's, when the stock was at $11.00, 80% from it's high. I thought it couldn't drop too much lower and it was a good time to buy. It's a good thing some AAPL more than made up for that mistake.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jman_in_NYC View Post

Actually Verizon's customer service is far worse. If we didn't have GSM networks we would be stuck with CDMA.

Correct..and CDMA doesn't work in most of the world
  • Reply 49 of 66
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    It's the same thing on the computer side. When I buy a Mac version of an app, that doesn't entitle me to the PC version for free. Why would smartphones be different?
  • Reply 50 of 66
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    f*k AT&T and f*k the carriers - Apple wrestled control from these draconian a-holes and now they want it back. They couldn't figure out how to run their business before so why should anyone cut them some slack now.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbsteph View Post

I like the idea of apps working across different platforms. This allows the consumer to change without having to pay for the same thing twice (Or more). Probably unrealistic to expect the various OS developers to be excited about such a concept. But, I could see app developers making such a promise - call it "insurance".

Another totally clueless poster. Only inefficient and crappy apps are cross platform the way you describe as they are not optimized for the specific OS. That's why there is even a different Mac versus PC version of MSFT office, so please get a clue before you post such ill informed "opinions". Further, with iOS apps you only purchase once and it can be downloaded to all your iOS devices on your account, and you can move them to your new iOS devices when you replace your old ones. That offers you tremendous flexibility and cost effectiveness.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbsteph View Post

I like the idea of apps working across different platforms. This allows the consumer to change without having to pay for the same thing twice (Or more). Probably unrealistic to expect the various OS developers to be excited about such a concept. But, I could see app developers making such a promise - call it "insurance".

And HOW exactly do you define "the same app"? Because to me, a Developer, a project with substancially different code is NOT the same App. What suh a thing would mean is simply the biggest platform would targeted, and that's it. Why should I work twice for the same price? Does a Doctor charge only once per illness, whatever the OS (sorry, the PATIENT) who bears it?
  • Reply 53 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Speaking at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain on Tuesday, Stephenson criticized companies like Apple and Google as restricting consumers.

"You purchase an app for one operating system, and if you want it on another device or platform, you have to buy it again," Stephenson said. "That's not how our customers expect to experience this environment."

I agree completely - just like I should be able to buy a phone from AT&T and use it on all networks - just as I should be able to use any other network's phone on AT&T. After all, restricting a phone to use on one network restricts consumers. When are you going to put your money where your mouth is and stop restricting consumers?

In addition, I think it's rather humorous that the market has done exactly the opposite of what Mr. Stephenson claims. Originally, Apple only offered html on the iPhone and did not offer native apps. If someone wanted to do something, they had to do it via html - which would work on ANY smart phone. Yet the market insisted on native apps - which are, by definition, non-portable. So the market has spoken - and Stephenson got it completely wrong.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

It's the same thing on the computer side. When I buy a Mac version of an app, that doesn't entitle me to the PC version for free. Why would smartphones be different?

Well, though I agree 100% with you, I was more than happy to have the free version of Civilization V for the Mac when I purchased the Collector edition of the game for PC!

However given the price of the game, which is no 0.99$ App, I expected that
  • Reply 55 of 66
    What many customers would really like is the ability to move from one carrier to another, using the same phone number, without having to pay all those hefty fines.

Apple Ecosystems
  • Reply 56 of 66
    I agree with you, what a jack off..........perhaps ATT's ceo out to put his money where is mouth is and have interoperability between 3G devices and not charge for tethering! He certainly has no problem with charging a separate plan for each device even though we only need on data plan that we can use for all of our 3g devices! They truly are finally realizing that they are being limited back into their box and just being forced into bandwidth providers and nothing more!
  • Reply 57 of 66
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grblade View Post

What is this guy talking about? No one expects to use a PS3 game on a Wii or XBox. No one expects to use an iPhone app on an Android phone. He has never heard anyone complain about this. He's making up problems so he can feel better about being mad at Apple since they got the better end of the deal in their relationship together.

Well said. This is a good analogy.
  • Reply 58 of 66
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 59 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

My most dislike for the CDMA iPhone, is not being able to search and talk at the same time. I fell in love with my first iPhone in 2007, when I realized it could do that. And I am still in love with my iPhone 4 with GSM radio.

The original EDGE-only iPhone couldn't do simultaneous voice and data.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    That sounds like something AT&T wants... not consumers. We want good apps that work well. There used to be a platform-independent Java solution for mobile phones... it sucked. Why does he think we want to return to that.

However, I would love to see more Universal iOS apps... but that is a bit different.