macbook slow to boot ?solution font book duplicates

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
macbook white plastic C2D upgraded hd with OWC Hitachi 320gb

i thought i had a post on this but a search found nothing

my wife's macbook was slow to boot up to the log in page, some times just a massive hang

did the usual as per genius bar , multiple restarts, reset the usual still slow or massive hang grey screen

did a repair permissions helped a bit

had a clone from super duper (thank God) used it to do a repair disk with utilities

disk repair found some corrupted files

frustrated, i did an erase and restore from my super duper clone after reboot which went ok,

did all the software updates after restore

so i searched around, i guess macbook slow to boot was common found this solutions that is so unexpected i thought i'd share

http://www.ehmac.ca/mac-ipod-help-tr...w-boot-up.html

i went to font book found the yellow triangle labeled duplicates (funny my wife had loads, under my login i had none hmmmmmm)

fixed the duplicates as suggested and POOF faster boot ups

i figured it was a problem with my wifes user profile, since mine wasn't affected as much

so hope this helps

also super duper and a clone was a miracle worker this is a must have for all mac people i tell everyone that has a mac to make a clone of their HD

i also installed click-to- flash on her mac to keep from slowing down.

your thoughts

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

macbook white plastic C2D upgraded hd with OWC Hitachi 320gb

i thought i had a post on this but a search found nothing

my wife's macbook was slow to boot up to the log in page, some times just a massive hang

did the usual as per genius bar , multiple restarts, reset the usual still slow or massive hang grey screen

did a repair permissions helped a bit

had a clone from super duper (thank God) used it to do a repair disk with utilities

disk repair found some corrupted files

frustrated, i did an erase and restore from my super duper clone after reboot which went ok,

did all the software updates after restore

so i searched around, i guess macbook slow to boot was common found this solutions that is so unexpected i thought i'd share

http://www.ehmac.ca/mac-ipod-help-tr...w-boot-up.html

i went to font book found the yellow triangle labeled duplicates (funny my wife had loads, under my login i had none hmmmmmm)

fixed the duplicates as suggested and POOF faster boot ups

i figured it was a problem with my wifes user profile, since mine wasn't affected as much

so hope this helps

also super duper and a clone was a miracle worker this is a must have for all mac people i tell everyone that has a mac to make a clone of their HD

i also installed click-to- flash on her mac to keep from slowing down.

your thoughts

problem again since this post

well worked for awhile but i'm looking into a disk utility like diskwarrior or drive genius or what you think is best

found this

i guess 10.6 at startup tries to repair disk

http://www.macworld.com/article/1451...iskrepair.html
  • Reply 2 of 2
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    after disk utilities ran

Verify and Repair volume ?Christie OWC HD?

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Checking extents overflow file.

Checking catalog file.

Invalid sibling link

The volume Christie OWC HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Volume repair complete.Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.Error: Disk Utility can?t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

so does this mean using another disk repair program? like disk warrior / drive genius??

or get new hd

i bought this from OWC to update my drive

need some direction

i dont want to buy a new mac if i can wait till fall