Apple's Steve Jobs reportedly seen at California's Stanford Cancer Center

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 62 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Do folks get some sort of commission for presenting conspiracy theories on AI? What accounts for such frequency?

Why is it that when the market responds to bad news it's "manipulation", but when they respond to good news they "finally get it"?

Man, the Mac community used to be so much more fun, and so much less crazy....

Amen, brother.
  • Reply 63 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

That's what concerned me about his statement when he went on his current leave. It specifically stated that he hopes to return to Apple soon. Pancreatic cancer, whipple procedure surgery, marked weight loss, liver transplant and now this? We know his time is coming. No one lives 20 years, much less 5 - 10 years will all those things. My thoughts are with him and I am confident that Apple will succeed without him.

Tbh, the Whipple Procedure strikes me as barbaric. Any time you think modern medicine is making advances, just look at that for a grim reminder of our civilization's current state of hack and slash medical knowledge and technique.

There are success stories I am sure, but overall it must be difficult for the body to recover from such an invasive procedure like this.

Oh well. Cure for cancer not being available, we'll continue to see procedures like this. I wish Steve a speedy recovery.
  • Reply 64 of 81
    Lets hope he doesn't pass away. he will be missed. Wish the tabloids would mind there own business. His health is his and the doctors business. not some scummy paper.
  • Reply 65 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Neither can you unless you are his oncologist or a medical ethicist assigned to his case. What's your point, anyway?

I'm trying to ascertain the medical procedures by which a person becomes qualified for a transplant. I'd like to know if a cancer patient would be given a liver.
  • Reply 66 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm trying to ascertain the medical procedures by which a person becomes qualified for a transplant. I'd like to know if a cancer patient would be given a liver.

Steve will very likely be a cancer patient for the rest of his life, however long that may be, which means his doctors will continue to look for signs of recurrence and treat as needed and possible. The lack of active, detectable cancer cells does not mean a person has been cured of the disease. Not being currently treated also does not mean the cancer has been cured. This is the most commonly misunderstood part of the disease and its treatment, apparently.
  • Reply 67 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It's also a function of providing virtually no official information. Steve could have easily kept the scumbag photographers off his tail by making this a non-story, but by being so compulsive about his privacy, he ends up with less privacy.

I disagree. Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile.
  • Reply 68 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

I disagree. Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile.

I don't see it. The story is about a photographer from a supermarket rag dogging Steve Jobs to a medical center. The only reason this was a photo worth pursuing is because it's something that was previously unknown. Take that away, and what's the picture worth? Nothing. They can't follow him inside and try to photograph him being treated or examined. They can't tap his doctors' phones. So they got the only picture that tells us anything new about his situation that we're ever going to know. It was easily preventable. But Steve is one stubborn dude, so this incident ends up being a standout irony of his efforts to totally protect his privacy.
  • Reply 69 of 81
    Quote:

I don't see it. The story is about a photographer from a supermarket rag dogging Steve Jobs to a medical center. The only reason this was a photo worth pursuing is because it's something that was previously unknown. Take that away, and what's the picture worth? Nothing. They can't follow him inside and try to photograph him being treated or examined. They can't tap his doctors' phones. So they got the only picture that tells us anything new about his situation that we're ever going to know. It was easily preventable. But Steve is one stubborn dude, so this incident ends up being a standout irony of his efforts to totally protect his privacy.

This is the NE we are talking about. Even if there had been full disclosure about Steve's condition, these vultures would have snapped the photo and run with their typical weeks or months to live story.
  • Reply 70 of 81
    Quote:

It was easily preventable. But Steve is one stubborn dude, so this incident ends up being a standout irony of his efforts to totally protect his privacy.

If he were really being that protective he could have done what Hollywood celebrities do all the time.

Travel in a car other than the one he is known to drive, make arrangements to arrive by a non-public entrance, and conceal his identity. It appears he did none of these things. He had a very public breakfast with his wife, then got in his own car, drove to the medical center, and walked in a public door "dressed as himself." Probably didn't even wear shades! If he is stubborn, it is in trying to live like a normal person instead of a pasha.

I agree with penchanted. The picture would be published no matter how much he discloses. Everyone knows that Lindsey Lohan was at Betty Ford and why. But the paps fall all over each other to get a shot anyway.
  • Reply 71 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

This is the NE we are talking about. Even if there had been full disclosure about Steve's condition, these vultures would have snapped the photo and run with their typical weeks or months to live story.

But even if they did take the photo, nobody would care aside from people who already buy that rag for the entertainment or voyeuristic value. Instead it got play everywhere as legitimate news about Steve's medical condition, and had a predictable impact on the stock. So unnecessary.
  • Reply 72 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

If he were really being that protective he could have done what Hollywood celebrities do all the time.

Travel in a car other than the one he is known to drive, make arrangements to arrive by a non-public entrance, and conceal his identity. It appears he did none of these things. He had a very public breakfast with his wife, then got in his own car, drove to the medical center, and walked in a public door "dressed as himself." Probably didn't even wear shades! If he is stubborn, it is in trying to live like a normal person instead of a pasha.

I agree with penchanted. The picture would be published no matter how much he discloses. Everyone knows that Lindsey Lohan was at Betty Ford and why. But the paps fall all over each other to get a shot anyway.

I take your point, I just don't agree with the comparison to entertainment celebrities, who get their pictures taken for no other reason. The NE turned this photo into legitimate news about a major corporate figure.
  • Reply 73 of 81
    Quote:

But even if they did take the photo, nobody would care aside from people who already buy that rag for the entertainment or voyeuristic value. Instead it got play everywhere as legitimate news about Steve's medical condition, and had a predictable impact on the stock. So unnecessary.

I am not sure that only the 'regulars' would have noticed. Jobs', for better or worse, has attained celebrity status. That is, in fact, one of your concerns relative to a succession plan.

I think this is just another sad case of people behaving badly (the publication and its readers).
  • Reply 74 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I am not sure that only the 'regulars' would have noticed. Jobs', for better or worse, has attained celebrity status. That is, in fact, one of your concerns relative to a succession plan.

I think this is just another sad case of people behaving badly (the publication and its readers).

Yes, but my main point was in the second half of that statement. The tabloids publish celebrity pics every day, but they don't get picked up by legitimate news services, and they don't move the stock markets.
  • Reply 75 of 81
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

It's also a function of providing virtually no official information. Steve could have easily kept the scumbag photographers off his tail by making this a non-story, but by being so compulsive about his privacy, he ends up with less privacy.

He is Steve Jobs, the biggest freaking rockstar in technology at the head of the most popular, media frenzied tech company. The only information he could have release that would have kept the paps off his ass would have been to release pictures of his semi-naked body clearly showing the wasting of his muscles and other tissue. Put another way, there was no reasonable amount of info he could have released that would have kept them away.

Pancreatic cancer is a horrible thing to watch. Once it becomes terminal and spreads the person quickly rots away into an unrecognizable shell of a person. Bodily functions become a challenge. Eventually, as it continues to metastasize and spread it commonly reaches the brain and a form of dementia develops. Then your loved ones get to gather around a person they physically don't recognize anymore and who goes in and out of being able recognize them and having hallucinations and wait for the final seizure.

Leave him the fuck alone.
  • Reply 76 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a valid question. Generally, transplants won't be performed if there are coexisting conditions that make survival, even with a successful transplant, unlikely. If he was cancer free at the time, having gone through the removal procedure and had otherwise good physical condition, they could have taken that as enough to be accepted. Having said that, even with the slower form of pancreatic cancer and with the whipple procedure a success, the 5 year survival rate approaches zero.

I am glad he had the transplant, but I can imagine if I was on a waiting list and had better likelihood of longer term lifespan with a transplant, I would have felt a little bitter.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

He is Steve Jobs, {axed}

Do me a favor. If you're going to respond to my posts, respond to something I actually said. Okay?
  • Reply 78 of 81
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarkman View Post

I looked at the pics on gawker.com... I'm a physician, not an oncologist, but I've seen my share of Ca patients... he is on his feet, no cane or walker, looks like his balance is just fine, and independent,thank you... the pic of the hand is of questionable veracity, but nothing abnormal...he might look a bit thin and graying, but he's not in the dire straits the NE purports, and I doubt those amateur docs' opinions about the "6 weeks"...lastly, I really didn't see any distinguishing features that this really is Steve Jobs in the pic on the gizmodo website..could have been anyone with blue jeans..sad how these tabloids can publish nonsense..

Right on, thanks for that, appreciate the reality check. Saves us, some of us anyway, from having to look at the stupid pictures.
  • Reply 79 of 81
    Quote:

Do me a favor. If you're going to respond to my posts, respond to something I actually said. Okay?

Sure.

Quote:

Quote:

Does the bolding help you see what you wrote? Or perhaps you didn't mean what you wrote. You said it was easily preventable. I expect you meant that had Steve released additional info about his terminal illness, then the photogs would have left him alone, since you know, that's what you fucking wrote. They didn't leave Swayze alone when he was dying, and the sensationalist opportunities from snapping a pic of Steve are even higher.

First your suggestion that it was his fault for not releasing additional information about his impending death and the agonizing disease that is causing it is offensive. Your additional suggestion that had he released this additional information it would have "kept the scumbag photographers off his tail" is naive. He is a rockstar celebrity. They would have done it no matter what he put out unless he hired Annie Leibovitz to take some 'death-in-progress' photos and made them public.

Do me a favour. If you are going to deny saying something, don't say it. Okay?
  • Reply 80 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Sure.

No, you've spun what I said into what you'd like to believe I said, and managed to do it in an entirely nasty, profane and vindictive way. I stand by what I actually said, not your representation of it.