Apple partner Best Buy listing 5 new MacBook Pro SKUs and price points

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amarider View Post

I'm getting my first Mac and fear I might pee myself with excitement. If it's a big "bump" I'll go 2011, otherwise try and find a 2010 15" i7...

Congratulations! Welcome to the family... I got my first iBook in 2004 and I've been a 99% happy customer (and rumor follower) ever since
  • Reply 42 of 47
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

You may have realized this but Apple doesn't cater to the bottom end of the market. If you can't afford the products don't buy them. There isn't actually competition that comes close to the fit and finish of unibody construction though. That's ludicrous and everyone here knows it.

Pricing has remained relatively uniform for years. I think the product line and pricing matrix should be as simple as possible. You don't need an in-between 15" model that should actually be the introductory model and you don't need a 17" that needs a $200 upgrade to be what it is supposed to be. I'd much rather have the computer be what it should be without upgrading it, which actually *raises* the price higher than just starting it out where it ought to. But expecting Apple to slash prices and start putting out plastic junk boxes is looney.

OK, looks like my comments have recieved quite a bit of attention.

Let me set a few things straight: The reason Macs sell well, even at their relatively high price points, is because they offer something unique, and refreshing compared to a generic Windows box.

After 2.5 years, the current Unibody design is getting a bit long in the tooth. You see MacBooks everywhere nowadays. People are used to having this design around for almost 3 years now. Dell, Sony, Lenovo, etc are starting to catch up in terms of bild quality and design.

Therefore, IF Apple really wants to maintain their rather elevated price points that include some Apple Tax, in my personal oppinion, the new MBP's need a redesign that offers something fresh and compelling again. For me, the current gen MBP's have lost their "appeal" over the years.

So bottom line, I don't think I'd buy a new MBP if this turns out to be just a spec bump.

What I expect is at least:

A hair thinner than the previous design

Even better battery life

SSD's accross the range.

Dedicated GPU's even in the 13" model

Quad cores in the 15" and 17"

High DPI displays standard accross the range (same dpi is the Air)

All of this maybe at the expense of losing the optical drive. But I think I've used mine about 10 times in the last 3 years. Only for ripping music, DVD's and testing Linux Distro's. All scenario's that have easy workarounds.

So basically I don't minde paying more money for an Apple product, but it has to have that "cool-factor" and offer something other manufacturers don't.

If I didn't see the additional appeal in Apple products I wouldn't have bought a Magic Mouse 2 months ago

It's just that the current MBP's have lost that additional appeal to me.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

You're right, but yesterday I saw my mate's brand new $650 core i5 HP laptop. It had a pretty cool design and really very durable plastic body. I then realized the current MBP-design is getting pretty long in the tooth and boring, but that's very personal of course.

What I'm saying is: usually I see the extra value in buying Apple products over the generic window boxes. The MBA looks very sexy, and I would take an iMac over any Windows all in one out there, but the "normal" MacBooks and MBP's just don't do it for me anymore.

So, I really hope Apple will amaze me the coming week

Yea that is one of the achilles heels of MacBooks. Love Apple or hate them, most agree there hardware is top notch, and people EXPECT Apple to deliver every year or so. Where as Dell and the likes, design is not expected or a priority to most IMO. So Apple falls under the radar as the company that NEEDS to change it's design, and even though I love Jonny Ives, it has to be hard to constantly change what a computer "should" look like. but I would not put it past Jonny!
  • Reply 44 of 47
    Quote:

OK, looks like my comments have recieved quite a bit of attention.

Let me set a few things straight: The reason Macs sell well, even at their relatively high price points, is because they offer something unique, and refreshing compared to a generic Windows box.

After 2.5 years, the current Unibody design is getting a bit long in the tooth. You see MacBooks everywhere nowadays. People are used to having this design around for almost 3 years now. Dell, Sony, Lenovo, etc are starting to catch up in terms of bild quality and design.

Therefore, IF Apple really wants to maintain their rather elevated price points that include some Apple Tax, in my personal oppinion, the new MBP's need a redesign that offers something fresh and compelling again. For me, the current gen MBP's have lost their "appeal" over the years.

So bottom line, I don't think I'd buy a new MBP if this turns out to be just a spec bump.

What I expect is at least:

A hair thinner than the previous design

Even better battery life

SSD's accross the range.

Dedicated GPU's even in the 13" model

Quad cores in the 15" and 17"

High DPI displays standard accross the range (same dpi is the Air)

All of this maybe at the expense of losing the optical drive. But I think I've used mine about 10 times in the last 3 years. Only for ripping music, DVD's and testing Linux Distro's. All scenario's that have easy workarounds.

So basically I don't minde paying more money for an Apple product, but it has to have that "cool-factor" and offer something other manufacturers don't.

If I didn't see the additional appeal in Apple products I wouldn't have bought a Magic Mouse 2 months ago

It's just that the current MBP's have lost that additional appeal to me.

That's what happens when EVERYONE starts owning one. You just do not stand out anymore
  • Reply 45 of 47
    Quote:

You're right, but yesterday I saw my mate's brand new $650 core i5 HP laptop. It had a pretty cool design and really very durable plastic body. I then realized the current MBP-design is getting pretty long in the tooth and boring, but that's very personal of course.

What I'm saying is: usually I see the extra value in buying Apple products over the generic window boxes. The MBA looks very sexy, and I would take an iMac over any Windows all in one out there, but the "normal" MacBooks and MBP's just don't do it for me anymore.

So, I really hope Apple will amaze me the coming week

Yea that is one of the achilles heels of MacBooks. Love Apple or hate them, most agree there hardware is top notch, and people EXPECT Apple to deliver every year or so. Where as Dell and the likes, design is not expected or a priority to most IMO. So Apple falls under the radar as the company that NEEDS to change it's design, and even though I love Jonny Ives, it has to be hard to constantly change what a computer "should" look like. but I would not put it past Jonny!
  • Reply 46 of 47
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 47 of 47
    These are not price-ooints, they are actual prices. Please learn the difference and stop playing buzzword bingo.