Motorola's iPad competing Xoom won't immediately support Adobe Flash

Comments

• Reply 61 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

You're not getting balance anyway. the ONLY news AI posts on with Android is if they can paint the OS in a negative light. That's not providing another viewpoint, that's propaganda, which judging by iOS's profit share (and mindshare) they won't need.

If indeed you are here to get "news", then you have greater problem that is common among those who consume internet information.

And, in the quote above, you are even confusing Apple Insider, as if they are synonymous with Apple.

Apple Insider is not based on altruism, nor in the search of what is factual and true. But, Apple Insider is not alone in this. Many internet sites are founded with more consideration on "sticky eyes", and those that create clash among opposing camps. They generate passionate accusations, defense and counter accusations, etc., etc.

Sticky visitors are the lifeblood of many internet sites because they matter advertisers. The latter pay the bills.

It is a dark reality, but in the internet age the veracity of information and search for truth have not become the prime motivations, if at all.

CGC
  • Reply 62 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malligator View Post

Calling Apple fans lemmings every time Flash proves to be a POS is getting rather old. Wasn't Flash supposed to be working perfectly on mobile devices in the summer of '09...I mean the fall of '09....wait...the spring of '10....or no....the summer of '10...dang it...no...the fall of '10...shoot...no...but by the wint....errrrrr....spring of '11 the Xoom will have Flash and BY GOD it will eat the iPad's lunch. Oh...maybe not.

Huh? Please don't get defensive and troll me, I didn't call Apple fans lemmings. I just used lemmings as an analogy.

A lemming isn't anything bad, it's just a cute furry animal. See? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemming

I merely used them as an analogy since it's a little animal, and fits with the "walled garden" analogy I often see in regards to the iTunes ecosystem.

I know you really like Apple and want to defend it, but there's no need to get all angry with me. Let's keep this discussion civil. We can be friends.
  • Reply 63 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Voight-Kampff View Post

Huh? Please don't get defensive and troll me, I didn't call Apple fans lemmings. I just used lemmings as an analogy.

A lemming isn't anything bad, it's just a cute furry animal. See? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemming

I merely used them as an analogy since it's a little animal, and fits with the "walled garden" analogy I often see in regards to the iTunes ecosystem.

I know you really like Apple and want to defend it, but there's no need to get all angry with me. Let's keep this discussion civil. We can be friends.

Wow.
  • Reply 64 of 93
    And, I take it that believe your perspective is correct, so everyone else must not be. And must be lemmings. Must be a lot of lemmings to make Apple the most valuable tech company, at present.

And, you post here to attempt to save these lemmings from their utter nonsense? That about sums it?

But, there is one flaw if that is your messianic quest, like many who believe they are privy to the word of god and thus the keeper of truth.

If these Apple acolytes are nonsensical, how can they have the intelligence to fathom your superiority -- the truth in your words beyond reproach? Or, do you expect these lemmings to be simply mesmerized by the power of your words, you being the keeper of truth, and another privy to a greater being, and become lemmings to your quest for their salvation.

CGC

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Voight-Kampff View Post

Seeing people defend Apple's failure to support Flash makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, kind of like you would when you see a small child saying something completely nonsensical. They're so wrong, and they don't even know it, you just can't help but smile at them and pat their head.

You could say everything bad there is to say about Flash; it's a battery hog, it's buggy, it's losing relevance, it's not secure, etc. But the fact of the matter is, none of these are the #1 reason why Apple refuses to allow it on its iOS devices.

Flash is a development platform that can deliver applications and content via the browser, and Apple can't control it. It would be like allowing a big ol' gate in those high, thick granite walls that Apple has sealed their garden within.

The lemmings that live within the garden are only allowed to eat the plants that Farmer Jobs has allowed to be planted. Farmer Jobs doesn't feel they're smart enough to venture out into the world beyond those walls. I wholly disagree with him, but alas, I have no power to free the poor creatures.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malligator View Post

Wow.

Double Wow!

CGC
  • Reply 65 of 93
    Quote:

BREAKING NEWS: A device not developed by Apple, marketed by Apple, or even MENTIONED by Apple once again gets onto the news feed for APPLE INSIDER.

Actually, directly from the article itself:

"In addition to performance issues, Jobs said the delays in bringing Flash to mobile devices were also evidence that it is not suited for the iPad or iPhone.

"Adobe publicly said that Flash would ship on a smartphone in early 2009, then the second half of 2009, then the first half of 2010, and now they say the second half of 2010," Jobs wrote. "We think it will eventually ship, but we're glad we didn't hold our breath. Who knows how it will perform?""

Therefore, unless and until someone actually produces a working version of Flash on a tablet or smartphone, and a version that doesn't suck the daylights out of the battery, and a version that makes the device more usable than it would be otherwise, then this topic is COMPLETELY relevant to my decision as to whether I am going to buy an iPad, or not.

Jobs has said Flash is useless on these types of devices. Fandroids and Motorola and others have said Jobs is full of it. And yet here they go again with more false advertising and an inability to prove Jobs wrong even slightly.

I am in the market for a tablet this year. I am leaning towards iPad. This topic is entirely relevant to me. The best you can say in defense of the Xoom or of Flash is you don't care for the way Applensider writes articles. Lame! If that's the best that Adobe and Motorola's paid trolls can do, I'd wager that the Xoom is Doomed!
  • Reply 66 of 93
    Quote:

BREAKING NEWS: A device not developed by Apple, marketed by Apple, or even MENTIONED by Apple once again gets onto the news feed for APPLE INSIDER.

It's sad that you (AI) have to spend so much time writing articles to paint the competition in a negative light. It's also rather unique to your site and others like it. Sites supposedly devoted to "Apple Insider News and Analysis" spend so much time mocking Android, or WinMO. When I can go to Android/Winmo "News and Analysis" sites and read about... I dunno, news about what the site claims to care about? Before someone rebuts with the "Deathgrip" stories, remember that both manufacturers (Motorola) and Apple themselves brought other OS's into that slugfest. Every other major OS tech site can go weeks without writing an article explicitly about their competition. AI can't seem to do the same.

Now, if Cupertino released a statement about this tablet, or if it was related to Apple in Any meaningful way, you might have a point of mentioning it. But there's not. There is NO POINT of posting this story other than to try and paint your device of choice in a positive light by throwing black tar at the competition.

I'll do your analysis for you: If someone is reading this site there is a high probability they're going to buy the iPad2 instead of this anyway. Those that won't (like myself) won't be convinced to do so by you trying so hard to put the competition in a negative light whenever possible.

You like Apple, we get it. We can see the name of your website and everything. But going out of your way to blast the competition whenever possible isn't "Apple news and Analysis." It's petty.

A lot of tech blogs dedicated to a single topic (Windows, Android, Apple) do this. http://www.winsupersite.com/ for example slams Apple and any competitor to Microsoft any chance it gets. I'm not saying that makes it right, but personally I enjoy it. I'm an Apple user all the way but still drop in on the competition just to see what they are saying about Apple.
  • Reply 67 of 93
    Quote:

It's sad that you (AI) have to spend so much time writing articles to paint the competition in a negative light. It's also rather unique to your site and others like it. Sites supposedly devoted to "Apple Insider News and Analysis" spend so much time mocking Android, or WinMO. When I can go to Android/Winmo "News and Analysis" sites and read about... I dunno, news about what the site claims to care about? Before someone rebuts with the "Deathgrip" stories, remember that both manufacturers (Motorola) and Apple themselves brought other OS's into that slugfest. Every other major OS tech site can go weeks without writing an article explicitly about their competition. AI can't seem to do the same.

Now, if Cupertino released a statement about this tablet, or if it was related to Apple in Any meaningful way, you might have a point of mentioning it. But there's not. There is NO POINT of posting this story other than to try and paint your device of choice in a positive light by throwing black tar at the competition.

I'll do your analysis for you: If someone is reading this site there is a high probability they're going to buy the iPad2 instead of this anyway. Those that won't (like myself) won't be convinced to do so by you trying so hard to put the competition in a negative light whenever possible.

You like Apple, we get it. We can see the name of your website and everything. But going out of your way to blast the competition whenever possible isn't "Apple news and Analysis." It's petty.

Very narrow thinking. There is a platform war playing out before our eyes. Once in a generation stuff. I for one consider the nature of how that plays out from all possible angles to be very pertinent to the Apple story and appreciate the broad level of news and insight that AI provides in that respect. Of course there is a certain bias, but ALL consumption content is biased in some way. it is up the the content consumer to bring there own judgment to the engagement to derive real value.
  • Reply 68 of 93
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joseph_went_south View Post

Actually, directly from the article itself:

"In addition to performance issues, Jobs said the delays in bringing Flash to mobile devices were also evidence that it is not suited for the iPad or iPhone.

"Adobe publicly said that Flash would ship on a smartphone in early 2009, then the second half of 2009, then the first half of 2010, and now they say the second half of 2010," Jobs wrote. "We think it will eventually ship, but we're glad we didn't hold our breath. Who knows how it will perform?""

Therefore, unless and until someone actually produces a working version of Flash on a tablet or smartphone, and a version that doesn't suck the daylights out of the battery, and a version that makes the device more usable than it would be otherwise, then this topic is COMPLETELY relevant to my decision as to whether I am going to buy an iPad, or not.

Jobs has said Flash is useless on these types of devices. Fandroids and Motorola and others have said Jobs is full of it. And yet here they go again with more false advertising and an inability to prove Jobs wrong even slightly.

I am in the market for a tablet this year. I am leaning towards iPad. This topic is entirely relevant to me. The best you can say in defense of the Xoom or of Flash is you don't care for the way Applensider writes articles. Lame! If that's the best that Adobe and Motorola's paid trolls can do, I'd wager that the Xoom is Doomed!

Even if the xoom launched with flash, the ipad still wouldn't have it. Thus the news of Xoom having flash (or not) has no impact on if someone will get an ipad or not.

I'm also NOT defending the xoom. See, that's another issue. Everything is "Us Vs Them." In fact, you don't even need to MENTION an Android product before people start calling you a fandroid here, you simply need to say that the way Apple does something (anything) is less than ideal.

The fact that you have to simplify the argument to "You either like apple, or you're defending the competition" is kind of sad. Like those Android users who turn every discussion into something about a Walled Garden, or other iOS users who use the word Fragmentation like it was going out of style.
  • Reply 69 of 93
    Quote:

Even if the xoom launched with flash, the ipad still wouldn't have it. Thus the news of Xoom having flash (or not) has no impact on if someone will get an ipad or not.

I just TOLD YOU it affects my decision in a profound way. As other's have said, this is a platform war. I have a very definite interest in the outcome. Motorola is using Flash as a key selling point of their tablet vs. Apple's. So far, the claims seem completely bogus and strawman-like.

Quote:

I'm also NOT defending the xoom. See, that's another issue. Everything is "Us Vs Them." In fact, you don't even need to MENTION an Android product before people start calling you a fandroid here, you simply need to say that the way Apple does something (anything) is less than ideal.

Actually, for me and millions of others it is precisely "us vs. them". I won't be buying BOTH an iPad AND a XOOM, and I am sure that's the case for 99% of tablet buyers out there.

The rest of your comment isn't on topic. As others have said, if you don't like the article, don't read it. Personally, I want to know how this platform war surrounding Flash is going to play out. And I am very interested in knowing if there are viable alternatives to iPad and if Flash could be the differentiating factor. Motorola has posited Flash as a differentiator in my buying decision, so this article is very relevant to those interested in Apple's products.
  • Reply 70 of 93
    Quote:

The fact that you have to simplify the argument to "You either like apple, or you're defending the competition" is kind of sad. Like those Android users who turn every discussion into something about a Walled Garden, or other iOS users who use the word Fragmentation like it was going out of style.

I enjoy keeping up with the news everyday, but I don't like the bias Fox news presents so I don't go to that site to get my news. It's really that simple.
  • Reply 71 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Creative View Post

Very narrow thinking. There is a platform war playing out before our eyes. Once in a generation stuff. I for one consider the nature of how that plays out from all possible angles to be very pertinent to the Apple story and appreciate the broad level of news and insight that AI provides in that respect. Of course there is a certain bias, but ALL consumption content is biased in some way. it is up the the content consumer to bring there own judgment to the engagement to derive real value.

There isn't a "Certain" bias. The Bias is: Apple does no wrong, everyone else is pathetic. THAT'S narrow thinking.

That's no useful insight. That's cheer leading. Yes, everyone has a bias, but very few tech sites are so unabashedly blatant with it. That type of bias doesn't encourage users to use their own judgement and engage in discussion. It's preaching to the choir. The people who think Apple does know wrong will cheer, those who think it's Evil inc will ignore/troll and the rest of us will either see it as an amusing (if uninformative) distraction or be left with more confusion than when we started.

The Platform war is NOT Android V Apple, or Apple V Flash. Heck, it's not even "Open" v closed, at least not in the traditional sense.

What's going on here is that a Hardware company (Apple) is trying to dictate the content you get on a device you pay for by acting as a toll collector. Some people will equate this to xBox live, or PSN, or something similar, but the Platform war is happening because the Internet, how we get information, is going mobile. You're phone isn't just a phone, it's not just a music/game player either. In fact, those are just a fraction of what it is. It's your connection to the internet, your email device, your social networking tool, etc. It's replacing things your COMPUTER did, not something a "closed" system like Xbox provides.

That's the platform war. The future of the web, and the devices we consume it on. Apple's trying to say that your iphone is akin to an xbox where ALL content purchased for it has to pay their dues to Apple. For companies like Netflix, Readability, or Amazon, your iPhone (or Droid, Berry, etc) is just a mobile COMPUTER.

Articles like this one just reinforce the fact that AI will NEVER tackle that question because you can't spit shine it, so it's easier to throw tar at the competition. If you're interested in Apple and the future of mobile devices (like the iPhone, iPad, etc) you should find such an attitude offensive.
  • Reply 72 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by destroyboredom View Post

I enjoy keeping up with the news everyday, but I don't like the bias Fox news presents so I don't go to that site to get my news. It's really that simple.

Besides that unlike fox news, you generally get your news online by way of either a search engine or (if you have a mobile device) some form of an RSS reader. If you're like me and like keeping an eye on trending terms (say, Android) AI's news articles continue to pop up like jack Russel terriers at the front door.

Yes, you're right, I could simply refrain from commenting. But that wouldn't stop the articles, and it wouldn't stop the notifications on my phone. And on top of that, sites like this do nothing but continue to let a certain niche pat themselves on the back for beating up the other team. That type of site breeds nothing but ignorance.

Sure, I could ignore it, but ignoring it doesn't solve the problem.
  • Reply 73 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joseph_went_south View Post

I just TOLD YOU it affects my decision in a profound way. As other's have said, this is a platform war. I have a very definite interest in the outcome. Motorola is using Flash as a key selling point of their tablet vs. Apple's. So far, the claims seem completely bogus and strawman-like.

Actually, for me and millions of others it is precisely "us vs. them". I won't be buying BOTH an iPad AND a XOOM, and I am sure that's the case for 99% of tablet buyers out there.

The rest of your comment isn't on topic. As others have said, if you don't like the article, don't read it. Personally, I want to know how this platform war surrounding Flash is going to play out. And I am very interested in knowing if there are viable alternatives to iPad and if Flash could be the differentiating factor. Motorola has posited Flash as a differentiator in my buying decision, so this article is very relevant to those interested in Apple's products.

So you go to a site called APPLE INSIDER to read up on potential competitors to an APPLE product? That's like reading Steve Ballmer's blog to get an idea of what Apple is doing with OSX

If you want to know how the "war" about flash is going to play out, then you should read a site written by someone OTHER than the cheer team for the company leading the "war" against it.
  • Reply 74 of 93
    Quote:

So you go to a site called APPLE INSIDER to read up on potential competitors to an APPLE product? That's like reading Steve Ballmer's blog to get an idea of what Apple is doing with OSX

If you want to know how the "war" about flash is going to play out, then you should read a site written by someone OTHER than the cheer team for the company leading the "war" against it.

Actually I read lots of web sites, but thank YOU for looking out for ME.

But seriously, while we're on topic, do you have any links to any articles that also point out Motorola's misleading advertising and an at least somewhat objective view as to what having Flash will mean for a tablet owner, assuming it's not entirely vaporware? I've looked but I can't find anything other than "apple sucks, Steve Jobs wants to control my life, Flash is awesome and you can't properly enjoy the web without it".

Let me know if you find anything on this topic that isn't blatant Adobe/Google cheerleading/Apple bashing. Thanks in advance. \
  • Reply 75 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Does this mean that the Xoom will not be able to visit the Xoom web site.

That is awesome.

Best comment this week! I love it!
  • Reply 76 of 93
    Quote:

It's sad that you (AI) have to spend so much time writing articles to paint the competition in a negative light. It's also rather unique to your site and others like it.

Ah, if other sites do this then it's not exactly unique is it?

Besides I rather like these posts about the competition. I certainly won't go to the Fandroid sites expecting to read anything like this.
  • Reply 77 of 93
    Quote:

Beyond AI, I consume content across the web, thank you. In regards to the 'war', flash is only one aspect or 'battle' if you continue the theme. The 'war' is for establishment off the dominant ecosystem of the next computing era, that era WILL be mobile.
  • Reply 78 of 93
    Quote:

Because they're posting at least one article like this a week (often more). It's petty, it's pointless (again, most people don't read AI to decide if they like Apple products or not), and it allows them to ignore significant issues that ARE Apple related. You know, like IAP.

No. You're completely wrong on this. There are scores of readers who do like to read this since it doesn't seem to be covered elsewhere. Remember: This site is unique!

As was pointed out before, read the headline and if you don't like the topic, delete it and move on. Don't waste your precious time coming here and complaining about a topic because it does you no good (other than to rant and rave, but who cares?) and we readers are beginning to ignore you since you don't have anything positive to contribute. Oh, I know that there are others in that category as well but you seem to be the most vicious.

Please respect the article authors and the rest of the forum community.
  • Reply 79 of 93
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Besides that unlike fox news, you generally get your news online by way of either a search engine or (if you have a mobile device) some form of an RSS reader. If you're like me and like keeping an eye on trending terms (say, Android) AI's news articles continue to pop up like jack Russel terriers at the front door.

Yes, you're right, I could simply refrain from commenting. But that wouldn't stop the articles, and it wouldn't stop the notifications on my phone. And on top of that, sites like this do nothing but continue to let a certain niche pat themselves on the back for beating up the other team. That type of site breeds nothing but ignorance.

Sure, I could ignore it, but ignoring it doesn't solve the problem.

Let's see if your sniveling stops AI from posting this type of article.
  • Reply 80 of 93
    Quote:

Wow what a rant. May I ask you why are you on AI ?

Anyway getting back to your post, AI is allowed to report on tech matters, its called "Freedom of Speech", ever heard about it ? Guess not.

All I get from fandroids, m$ fanboys and the Apple-Haters, is that iOS does not have Flash, all our devices do. This is a lie, as clearly demonstrated by this article. So it has full rights to appear on AI. If competitors to Apple tout this feature or that, but is lying, then AI has full rights to report on this, irrespective whether its flash or something else.

So to answer your rant, it should be on AI, if you don't like it, don't read it, simple really.

P.S. Had to sit through an hour of drivel from a fandroid spouting his new Google nexus S, please pity me.