Windows 7 "Snap" features available on Mac?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's a nice feature, but the one I really want it when the OS detects I'm using a laptop sized screen the green button should do fullscreen. It simply should. No amount of fanboy persuasion could make me feel otherwise.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Better Touch Tool- http://blog.boastr.net/?page_id=1722 it has sum other cool features tool, but make sure you read all the pop up boxes after u install this app coz the windows like snapping tool is one of the first
  • Reply 23 of 42
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrish4161 View Post

Well there is no application here for the best similarity like Windows 7 in MAC because both the companies are different and the both are rivals. So if you want to see your pictures in full screen mode then only way is you should change your OS with the Windows 7.

What the hell are you talking about?
  • Reply 24 of 42
    gg47gg47 Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by compulsiveguile View Post

I was wondering if there were any apps/hacks out there that *I can't believe I'm saying this* give similar "window Snapping" functionality that Windows 7 offers?

I'm quite jealous of this feature.

Edit:

This is what I'm referring to --> http://lifehacker.com/5077728/snap-a...e-in-windows-7

Just use the program "Cinch", it does all that. Easy.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Not to revive this post from the grave, but are there any programs that can emulate the snap features for desktop? The BetterTouch app seems geared toward Macbooks with multitouch trackpads. I'm looking for something that will work with the desktop.

To answer some of your questions about this feature: The drag to top for full screen isn't always useful and can sometime even be annoying (especially when you're repositioning windows). However, the drag to the left and right are extremely useful with wide screen monitors > 19". I am a hybrid Windows and mac mini user for development and the snap left-right is great for comparing code, diffs, documents, images, shells, and working with two programs to exchange data. Not that the expose features aren't nice, but the snap feature is simply more efficient.

Can this be done with AppleScript?

Thanks
  • Reply 26 of 42
    dlcmhdlcmh Posts: 43member
    yeshuawatso, this program isn't free, but I've been using it since the launch of Snow Leopard, and there's a free trial period:

http://www.irradiatedsoftware.com/sizeup/

It doesn't respond to dragging, but to key-combinations. So if I want the current window to snap to the left, I hit control+option+cmd+left arrow, but this can be customized.

Using a different set of key combinations, I can also send a window to a second monitor, my TV in this case, if my MacBook Pro is connected to it - really handy.

Snap zone sizes can be absolutely customized.

Good luck!
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Hi All, there are actually a bunch of options now.

Right now I'm trying a fee program which was developed as shareware and originally distributed via google apps

http://code.google.com/p/shiftit/

The app store has: DoublePane ($2.99)

And I think the rest have been mentioned previously
  • Reply 28 of 42
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Really? I thought it was one of the most useless features I've ever seen. It's almost like they didn't want to do something like spaces to avoid being seen as directly copying features in OS X.

I suppose it allows the whole non-overlapping windows setup but few people have higher than 1680 x 1050 resolution. A half-sized box gives you something like an 800 oixel wide box, which is almost unusable for anything.

What practical use for this did you have in mind?

And yet somehow I feel that if Apple had this exact feature in Mac OS X first, all the fanboys would be talking endlessly about what a great "magical, revolutionary" feature it is. (I'm not saying you think this.)

I myself find Aero Snap useful for certain things, and I did, for a time, use the Cinch plug-in on Mac OS X.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

It's funny - for years now Windows users have been complaining that on the Mac you can't full-screen a window so it covers all other apps.

Now Microsoft seems to be saying is that users should actually be working with more than one window at once instead.

Microsoft isn't saying anything, all they did was create a GUI around the "place windows side by side" option that has been on the task bar since Windows 95.

And just because I can maximize a window in Windows doesn't mean I actually did. It was useful back in the days of 1024×768, but nowadays, monitors are simply too wide. Maximizing a window simply makes most web pages so wide they are almost unreadable.

But there are still times when you want to make an app fullscreen (didn't Steve Jobs himself not say this very phrase at the October '10 event?), and it not being on Mac OS X was a legitimate concern for some users.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

And yet somehow I feel that if Apple had this exact feature in Mac OS X first, all the fanboys would be talking endlessly about what a great "magical, revolutionary" feature it is. (I'm not saying you think this.)

It happens on occasions but Spaces is not regarded as entirely revolutionary, nor grid-spacing, nor multi-driectional window resizing, even full-screen mode, which individual apps have had for a while. Dashboard is a bit passé too. Exposé is more impressive and still hasn't been copied correctly elsewhere. I don't think window-snapping would be part of a daily routine the way Exposé is so it wouldn't be highly regarded.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    One- if a person asks you for recommendations on a specific type of software, what earthly reason could you have for arguing with him for five posts why he should think that specific type of software is stupid, instead of simply giving recommendations (and then perhaps stating your opinion)?

Two- just search the app store for "resize" or "window"- there's quite a few of them. My personal favorite is DoublePane ($.99). The developer is very responsive and told me the next update will include 'snapping' (as in drag to a corner or edge).

Hope that helps,

Liam

(as a side note, I personally love the idea and wish  had included it in the first place- maybe Lion? It's a great quick way to see two windows simultaneously (and I have a 13" MBP, no display) or maximize.)
  • Reply 31 of 42
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by liamd27 View Post

One- if a person asks you for recommendations on a specific type of software, what earthly reason could you have for arguing with him for five posts why he should think that specific type of software is stupid, instead of simply giving recommendations (and then perhaps stating your opinion)?

I don't know if you mean me but I only made 3 posts, two of which respond to other people - that's kind of how discussion forums work.

I'm sure people will find some use for such a thing but I don't think enough to be a system-level feature that's all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by liamd27 View Post

Two- just search the app store for "resize" or "window"- there's quite a few of them. My personal favorite is DoublePane ($.99). The developer is very responsive and told me the next update will include 'snapping' (as in drag to a corner or edge).

The app that seemed to me the quickest to do something useful is one called Divvy:

http://www.mizage.com/divvy/

but Leopard's huge drop shadows still make it not so good for using different apps side by side.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    hi,

there is another software, doing the same than Windows 7, with the same visual effect,

just try it !

it's "arrange", available here : http://www.trifleapps.com/Applications/Arrange.html
  • Reply 33 of 42

This is why forums are annoying. It starts with a legitimate question. But for years anyone who follows it will only find useless commentary and will waste work time trying to find the efficient solution that should've been the only answer

• Reply 34 of 42

Originally Posted by yaczone View Post

This is why forums are annoying. It starts with a legitimate question. But for years anyone who follows it will only find useless commentary and will waste work time trying to find the efficient solution that should've been the only answer

Not to mention getting high-ranking search results for threads that were bumped back to the top but are years and years old and therefore completely outdated.

• Reply 35 of 42

I have found the best utility for the MAC to emulate the Windows split window option is an application called Cinch.  You can download it from the Apple Store. It runs in the top toolbar as a dotted line box looking icon.  When you slam the window to the left, it does a half left screen.  Same thing to the right.  If you do it to the top it maximizes the application window.  If you want to license it, the Cinch utility is $7.00.  Well worth it.

• Reply 36 of 42

Try turning on App Expose in the System Preferences. I think in older versions of OS X it did this with F8, on my Macbook it was turned off but the default gesture was swipe down with three fingers. I meant a sofware what gives only space what the Window need. Read the image. I don't want full maximize. I want to give just enough space to windows.

• Reply 37 of 42

Anyone who says the "snap" feature is useless is probably just a Mac snob. I have a MacBook Pro but as a student I use Windows 7 all the time on campus computers. The snap feature is the best thing to happen to studying since powerpoint. Apple needs to pick up their game and stop coming out with useless updates that make no real change (iPhone 4 and 5 are almost the exact same phone). I want the snap feature on my Mac!!!

• Reply 38 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Timetravel View Post

Anyone who says the "snap" feature is useless is probably just a Mac snob.

Great way to endear yourself and your opinion to anyone¡ image

Apple needs to pick up their game and stop coming out with useless updates that make no real change (iPhone 4 and 5 are almost the exact same phone).

SHUT UP AND GO AWAY.

• Reply 39 of 42

Greetings-

I have traditionally been a PC guy however have been forced to use a MAC for work. I am a network engineer and software developer by occupation.  I have approached MAC OS objectively, they are both just an Operating System (OS). They both can do all the same things anyone would expect out of an OS and "for the most part" it is a matter of personal preference and opinion for 99% of the world to use a MAC or PC. I have identified pros and cons of both. Honestly the window snapping feature of Windows 7 is something I use all the time. I often find myself looking at router output in multiple windows or comparing code side by side. The snap feature allows me to quickly move windows around multiple wide screen monitors using only a hot key "Windows Key + Arrow", moving the mouse around is too slow.  I found the Cinch application for MAC that sort of does this however I am all about hot key's. When your typing fast and spend all day typing; dragging the mouse around is too slow, so if anyone knows of anything like this for MAC I am still on the hunt.

Thanks

• Reply 40 of 42

NetEng - I also work on two platforms, but I'm in the Education field.

I found this article that lists several options for snapping windows in the Mac OS.  

http://lifehacker.com/5809879/how-to-get-windows-best-features-on-mac-os-x ;

I just installed ShiftIt because it's free, and so far-so good...but, it's literally been two minutes.  :-)