Rumor: Apple's next-generation iPad delayed until June

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Production bottlenecks at Apple manufacturing partner Hon Hai could delay the next-generation of Apple's iPad until June, a new report claims.

Analysts Vincent Chen and Alison Chen with Taiwan-based research firm Yuanta Securities Co. issued the report, Bloomberg said on Monday.

"Our checks suggest new issues are being encountered with the new production and it is taking time to resolve them,? said Chen. "As a number of Android 3.0 tablets are being launched in April and May, the delay in iPad 2 shipments may give the Android camp a brief window of opportunity."

According to the analysts, design changes made before the Chinese Lunar New Year holiday earlier this month have caused the delay. A June launch would also likely coincide with the release of the next-generation iPhone, which has typically occurred every June.

Hon Hai stock dropped 2 percent on the Taipei index Monday to its lowest close since Dec. 2 last year.

The Yuanta report contradicts earlier reports also out of Asia that claim the iPad had already begun production this month. Earlier this month, reports emerged that Apple could be planning a small event in March to mark the unveiling of the second-generation iPad.

On Monday, news that T-Mobile and Orange in the U.K. have reduced their prices for the entry-level 16GB iPad prompted speculation that the carriers were hoping to clear inventory ahead of an updated iPad from Apple.

It has also been suggested that the Cupertino, Calif., company would refresh the iPad ahead of the usual 12-month product cycle.

The next iPad is expected to include a FaceTime-ready camera, as well as improved internals, such as more RAM, a faster CPU and dual-core graphics. Some reports have also mentioned the possibility of e-wallet capabilities and a high-resolution Retina display.

For more information on the upcoming iPad update, please see Appleinsider's iPad information archive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    It's not going to have a Retina display, so let's dispel that bit of nonsense right now.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Some of the iPad rumors lately seem absolutely ridiculous and downright dumb, like the recent iPad3 coming out in the fall rumor.

Nobody here knows for sure what the real deal is, but this rumor seems more plausible than some of the others. I don't think that Apple is in any big rush to release the iPad2. They should just take their time and get it right. I'm probably going to pick up an iPad2 but I don't really care if it comes out in April,May or even June.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    has anyone realized that ALL the rumurs are just pure phantasy? whoever invents them has NO clue about what really is going on. but every rumor is creating hope, because people WANT to hear that the ipad comes out soon, has an usb connector or is cheaper / smaller etc.

maybe we should stop all this crap. stop writing about every stupid rumor, that isn't even a rumor, but a guess or wish from someone. i like to hear rumors with facts! rumors of people who know it because they saw a prototype at foxcon. but i am fed up with these pure phantasy rumors. no more please!
  • Reply 4 of 46
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Apple would still probably sell more ipad v1.0's than xooms, playbooks, tabs put together up until ipad2 is released even if delayed. Personally I would welcome a delayed release schedule as I think the 12 month cycles for a product of this class is too quick. I am still in love with my ipad and would hate for it to be superceeded with a newer model so soon.

Saying that I did upgrade to the iphone4 as soon as it came out even though I was on 3GS for only 6 months and it felt like an old device very fast.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Don't believe the story. Source is not reputable.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Production bottlenecks at Apple manufacturing partner Hon Hai could delay the next-generation of Apple's iPad until June, a new report claims.

[...]

On Monday, news that T-Mobile and Orange in the U.K. have reduced their prices for the entry-level 16GB iPad prompted speculation that the carriers were hoping to clear inventory ahead of an updated iPad from Apple.

It has also been suggested that the Cupertino, Calif., company would refresh the iPad ahead of the usual 12-month product cycle.

Two rumors for the price of one. 1st iPad2 is late and a few paragraphs later its early. Is it just me - or are all analysts now reading tea leaves and hoping to see their names in the media
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's not going to have a Retina display, so let's dispel that bit of nonsense right now.

yeah, tired already of reading retina display for iPad 2 again and again which is not even going to be there no matter how much i wish it to be there.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    How the heck has SpamSandwich generated more than 10,000 comments since 2005.

Even the auto Apple Insider user has only generated 9,000ish since 1997 or such like.

I mean sure, they are true to their name, spamsandwich, but it is mind boggling.

Is the fabled legend, the one who truly has no life. Can it be him!
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Source: sell! sell! sell!

(behind the scenes: buy buy buy...bwahahahahah)

• Reply 10 of 46
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

bla bla bla bla...

At least his post was on topic. Yours? Not so much...

Anyway, this rumor, if true, would be a personal disaster for me. After years of chipping away, I finally switched my brother to a Mac. Now he wants an iPad. He has been waiting for V2 for 3 months now and calls me to discus every new rumor. Ay ay ay! another few months?

Dude is a lawyer married to a lawyer--just buy one now and buy one when V2 comes out--sheesh!
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Two rumors for the price of one. 1st iPad2 is late and a few paragraphs later its early. Is it just me - or are all analysts now reading tea leaves and hoping to see their names in the media

I see the "Grim" in the leaves!
  • Reply 12 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Even the auto Apple Insider user has only generated 9,000ish since 1997 or such like.

I mean sure, they are true to their name, spamsandwich, but it is mind boggling.

Is the fabled legend, the one who truly has no life. Can it be him!

Why not ask him? In a PM. Instead of this thread, where it doesn't belong.

Or ask me. I did 16,000+ from aught six to aught nine; it's certainly not impossible.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Why June? Even if there is a complication or two, surely if the goal was to release the iPad let's say in March, the product would come to market as close to that date as possible. That there could be a complication causing a delay is plausible. That at this point in time it would be possible to pin down the delay to three months, sounds dubious.

It's beginning to look like Apple is just having a little fun with us and their competitors. Float so many rumours that in the end we all conclude that the unnamed sources are out to lunch. Brilliant, really.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Source: sell! sell! sell!

(behind the scenes: buy buy buy...bwahahahahah)

exactly. I'm poised to buy a few more this week, or perhaps today if the price id right.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Ya' know...

what strikes me as odd, about this rumor, and several others, is the bit about the delay caused by the Chinese New Year.

Tim Cook set up the supply-chain and has a reputation sans rival in supply-chain management.

It is inconceivable that Tim would not have factored the Chinese New Year break into his planning.

Then. there is this article:

iPhone 5 Might Not Launch Until September

This, too, appears to be related to supply-chain uncertainties.

So, Apple, who is paying billions to schedule parts and manufacturing capacity to keep the supply-chain humming -- suddenly has forgotten how to do basic scheduling?

Something is wrong with the picture being painted!

• Reply 16 of 46
    I have been waiting since November!!!.... If ti is late I wonder what this does to the IPAD 3 rumor which according to what I read was supposed to come out 6 months after the 2.

But these are all rumors and we should probably just ignore and wait to see what apple does.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post

has anyone realized that ALL the rumurs are just pure phantasy? whoever invents them has NO clue about what really is going on. but every rumor is creating hope, because people WANT to hear that the ipad comes out soon, has an usb connector or is cheaper / smaller etc.

maybe we should stop all this crap. stop writing about every stupid rumor, that isn't even a rumor, but a guess or wish from someone. i like to hear rumors with facts! rumors of people who know it because they saw a prototype at foxcon. but i am fed up with these pure phantasy rumors. no more please!

Oh the people who invent these rumors know exactly what is going on. It's all about manipulating stock prices. A move of a dollar or two in Apple's stock could mean millions in profit. A rumor about Jobs's health last week and Apple dropped $7. Now we have a rumored delay of a rumored product (nothing has been confirmed about anything), followed by a nail biting analysis of how this will open a window of opportunity for the competition. All of it is pure bat shit gossip. But it generates ad clicks for tech tabloids like AppleInsider so it is front page news.

No, these scumbags know exactly what they are doing. And I fall for it every time. Shame on me.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

At least his post was on topic. Yours? Not so much...

Anyway, this rumor, if true, would be a personal disaster for me. After years of chipping away, I finally switched my brother to a Mac. Now he wants an iPad. He has been waiting for V2 for 3 months now and calls me to discus every new rumor. Ay ay ay! another few months?

Dude is a lawyer married to a lawyer--just buy one now and buy one when V2 comes out--sheesh!

Sounds like he's in the proper profession--he's cheap and wants all the perks for free. If the money was on someone else's dime he'd have already bought two.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    I've been waiting to buy one of these since last summer, but even then I wanted to wait for iPad 2.

The wait is killing me. I love ai because it always picks up on the stuff I read on other sites, but please oh please be wrong on this one! I want an iPad 2 3G to take with me overseas in May.

GoooooOOO Steve! (and Tim) (and China) (...please)
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Unless Apple was surprisingly able to suddenly get access to higher-resolution touchscreen displays (which means a new round of FCC and European Commission RF certification testing), I really don't believe this story.