Rumor: Apple may refresh iMac alongside new MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikeysbistro View Post

What if it's a refresh of the MBPs and iMacs but with a touch screen..

If it's a touch screen count me out.... yuck
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not to pour too much cold water on your joy, but I don't read anything in the article that actually says the screens are getting bigger.

The article here is really just a confusing account of a bad translation of a report of a rumour.

This sentence for instance: "... may make some changes over the screen size to allow panel cutting to reach its optimization (sic)." is meaningless gibberish without the original context.

Why did you (sic) that quote? There is no grammatical or spelling errors in it...

But I do I agree, there really isn't anything specific enough for this to be exciting or derive assumptions from.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggsjm View Post

Ugh. Just bought a top of the line iMac. Core i7 2.93 with 8GB of Memory, 2 TB Hard Drive. No SSD.

Would have been nice to know last week when I ordered it.

That's what sucks about the pace of technology development: no matter what you purchase, within six months, something better and faster will come out. But, at some point, you gotta make a choice and hope it can last you a while.

I didn't purchase the iPad v1 because I figured version 2 will be better (duh!), but, of course, v3 will be even better!! \
  • Reply 24 of 57
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Digitimes is not a credible news source.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    This will not happen only one updated product line at a time... 6 new MBP will be just enough for them to handle.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    Quote:

Ugh. Just bought a top of the line iMac. Core i7 2.93 with 8GB of Memory, 2 TB Hard Drive. No SSD.

You'd have known last week if you did a little research.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

That's what sucks about the pace of technology development: no matter what you purchase, within six months, something better and faster will come out. But, at some point, you gotta make a choice and hope it can last you a while.

I didn't purchase the iPad v1 because I figured version 2 will be better (duh!), but, of course, v3 will be even better!! \

That's especially true with a new product like the iPad which will no doubt evolve rather significantly in the next few years.

I, too, am waiting for the iPad Version 2 but I'm not waiting for any versions beyond that in that if I'm waiting for a high-res display, desktop-like power, the upcoming connection tech, the death of Flash, and on and on, that's a couple of years of not using the tablet. As long as you buy early enough into a product's cycle, there's nothing else you can do.

Bottom line is, if the product you do buy gets the job done, nothing else matters.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    Stagger the launches? MBPs on Thursday, iMacs next Tuesday?
  • Reply 29 of 57
    I was very annoyed when Apple eliminated the mid-size iMac. 27" is more than the average home user needs or wants, and the 21.5 is too small. Especially when many are needing to replace their old 24". I ended up replacing my wife's ailing 24" with a 27" which she really doesn't need or want and feeling like I was wasting money. PLEASE bring back something between 21 and 27.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vjo,npd View Post

This will not happen only one updated product line at a time... 6 new MBP will be just enough for them to handle.

I agree with this. Apple is pretty good at keeping their name in the news. I think keeping the refreshes of Macbook Pros and iMacs separate would maximize this effect.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:

Don't be upset. That machine you ordered is a Beast!

I have the i5 w 8GB ram and it's awesome.

The i7 is even better.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Perhaps, but it sure is entertaining!
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Have they ever been right about anything? I don't understand why the rumor sites continue to repost their claims.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:

doesn't matter that you bought that machine....

even IF iMac gets a refresh early, the entry level and mid level still will not be able to touch that setup...
  • Reply 35 of 57
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Have they ever been right about anything? I don't understand why the rumor sites continue to repost their claims.

Because people have a thirst for apple news. Without official news, rumors will capture just as many eyeballs, even those from untrustworthy sources.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Now I can give a bit more weight to the light peak rumors. An extra port on an imac is a no biggie, and would work nicely with a mouse and keyboard. Good way to show capability without sacraficing current ports on a macbook.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I just dont get touchscreen desktop pc's, fingerprints are going to be real annoying. They need to invent a touch where you dont actually touch the screen.

Nobody complains about fingerprints on their iPads, so why would a desktop be different?

The real reason it won't be a touch screen is that nobody wants to sit and reaches out at the computer to access controls. Your arms would get tired and it'd be very awkward.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Nobody complains about fingerprints on their iPads, so why would a desktop be different?

Easier to hold an iPad w/one hand and wipe it with the other than to try and do that with a monitor maybe?

As for the iMac, they can simplify things and go to 3 models, 1 each at 21.5, 24 and 27". Differences within the same screen size can be resolved via the BTO options. Or they just add a pair of 24" options and keep the existing, but I really don't think we need 6 kinds of iMac base models.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    A 24" i7-2600K sandybridge with anti-glare/matte screen please please please
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

doesn't matter that you bought that machine....

even IF iMac gets a refresh early, the entry level and mid level still will not be able to touch that setup...

Yes be happy that you've got a computer that should last for years. People get all worked up over new chip speeds, but the days when adding 200MHz to your clock speed made a noticeable difference are long gone.