Claims of delays for Apple's iPad 2, iPhone 5 labeled false

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
While two separate reports from financial analysts on Tuesday claimed Apple was forced to delay the launch of its next-generation iPad and iPhone models, both have since been declared inaccurate in separate reports.

Reuters on Tuesday specifically denied a claim that the next model of Apple iPad would be delayed until June. In addition, Jim Dalrymple of The Loop also said the iPad 2 would not be delayed, and disputed a separate report that development of the iPhone 5 had also hit a snag.

The reports are in response to two separate notes from analysts that made the rounds on Tuesday. The first, from analysts Vincent Chen and Alison Chen with Taiwan-based research firm Yuanta Securities Co., claimed that design changes to the second-generation iPad 2 caused a delay to the unannounced product, giving it a later-than-expected launch in June.

In addition, analyst Craig Berger with FBR Capital Markets issued a separate report claiming that the iPhone 5 may not launch until September, later than the typical June arrival. Berger said that more time would allow Apple to "enhance its next-generation instant communications on the phone."

"From what I've heard this morning, both products are on schedule and will ship when they are supposed to," Dalrymple wrote in response. "Only Apple knows exactly when that will be, but the products are not delayed."

While Apple typically has an annual refresh cycle for the iPhone in June, only one version of the iPad has been released since it debuted in the U.S. last April. The second-generation iPad is expected to debut by April with enhanced hardware, including a camera for FaceTime video chat.

Of course, both the so-called "iPad 2" and "iPhone 5" only exist in rumors in the public so far, as neither product has been confirmed or even mentioned by Apple. The same goes for rumored launch dates and product introductions, as Apple has not made any formal announcements or scheduled any media events.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Phew, 'cause I'm upgrading from an iPhone 1 to an iPhone 5. I can't wait any longer. iPad 2 RAM increase will be great for those like myself upgrading to it, also.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    I'm sure Apple's logic is... if it's unannounced how can it be delayed?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Pump and dump, dump and pump.

Classic.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    These rumors get created/spread by opportunists who want to buy Apple Stock after the 'scare' lowers the price. I hope the SEC nails these individuals.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    It will be called "iPhone Phone 7 Series"
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Phew, 'cause I'm upgrading from an iPhone 1 to an iPhone 5. I can't wait any longer. iPad 2 RAM increase will be great for those like myself upgrading to it, also.

How in the world has your iPhone 1 lasted this long? I was ready to throw my iPhone 3G against a brick wall while waiting to get my iPhone 4.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Dumb analysts are dumb.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    The first clue that this rumour was a load of BS is that it talked about a long delay which really doesn't make sense. Even if an issue had emerged, it's unlikely it would take 3-4 months to correct the problem. Apple has been building touch-screen devices for years. It's far from untested technology and it's not likely that the iPad 2 will be that dramatic a departure from the popular formula seen in the current version.

I have to say that anyone who dumped the stock this morning, taking a big hit, has to qualify as a very foolish investor if the reason was this clearly bogus claim.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You're still sticking with your original iPhone? I upgraded to a 3Gs, skipping the 3G and am skipping the iPhone 4. I wish my original iPhone supported iOS4 (in all its glory) and had 3G, I probably would have stuck with it for a bit longer.

If there is one thing I did like about the original iPhone, it was the design.

iPhone 4 > iPhone (original) > iPhone 3G, 3Gs
  • Reply 10 of 32
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Of course it's false. It's the same old bullshit used to manipulate Apples stock price.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crossuab View Post

How in the world has your iPhone 1 lasted this long? I was ready to throw my iPhone 3G against a brick wall while waiting to get my iPhone 4.

The iPhone 3G and the original are powered by the same CPU, GPU, and have the same amount of RAM. They are identical in terms of horsepower.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

These rumors get created/spread by opportunists who want to buy Apple Stock after the 'scare' lowers the price. I hope the SEC nails these individuals.

I think the rumors are designed to make money for short sellers, rather than buyers. Apple could nail the short sellers themselves if they would use some of their cash to purchase their own shares whenever this happens. I think the lesson would be learned very quickly.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

The iPhone 3G and the original are powered by the same CPU, GPU, and have the same amount of RAM. They are identical in terms of horsepower.

I think there should be an automatic procedure in place that mandates that any announcements, messages or press releases by Financial agents , dealer, brokers or what not should have their funds they manage, their and their immediate families stock trades examined and phone/email/blogs and tweets looked at for a given period around a certain period to ascertain whether they are taking advantage of their rumors. I'd even go as far as to say that all trades for a 15 day period from them (black out period) and their family are not allowed. Also the burden should be on the perpetrator to provide the records indicating all stock purchases they have made over the period in question if no blackout rule is made.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crossuab View Post

iPhones just work. And I've seen a couple of people that still have the original iPhone. When I hanged out with my cousins friends, we all had iPhones. One had the original, one had the 3G, I had the 3GS, and my cousin had the iPhone 4. It was the iPhone family reunion! Haha
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Phew! For a second there, I was beginning to be a bit worried.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I think there should be an automatic procedure in place that madates that any announcements, messages or press releases by Financial agents , dealer, brokers or what not should have their funds they manage, their and their immediate families stock trades examined and phone/email/blogs and tweets looked at for a given period around a certain period to ascertain whether they are taking advantage of their rumors. I'd even go as far as to say that all trades for a 15 day period from them and their family are not allowed. This is simlar to rules already in place for people who work for some companies around results time

You will have to figure out a way to reconcile the enormous cost of your suggestion with the "small government" and anti-regulation sentiment of the government, as currently constituted.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    I just heard a rumour that analysts are predicting Christmas will be delayed this year. Apparently bankers at Norfolk & Chance say it might be as late as next February due to production delays at Santa's Chinese suppliers. Holy shit!
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Ok so let me get this straight. Banks sell Apple shares. Analysts (who all work for said banks) spread rumours which sends Apple share price down. Banks then buys back Apple shares at lower price, watch as the rumours are proved wrong and the share price goes back up. Banks sell at the higher price making nice profit. Is that how it works?
  • Reply 19 of 32
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,256member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I think the rumors are designed to make money for short sellers, rather than buyers. Apple could nail the short sellers themselves if they would use some of their cash to purchase their own shares whenever this happens. I think the lesson would be learned very quickly.

I think this is probably the best reason I've heard yet for apple using their cash to buy back shares.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    No doubt these rumors originates from nokia.com, samsung.com, dell.com etc...