Rumor: Apple may refresh iMac alongside new MacBook Pros

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    I happen to love the 27 iMac. Make 'em BIGGER!
  • Reply 42 of 57
    Even though Macs are now a small part of Apple's business and release dates probably should be consolidated into mainstream and specialty, Apple probably isn't ready to make that change yet. Holding back new iMacs will cost them some delayed sales amongst those who read rumour sites, but the hype will more than make up for that in the realm of the general public.

We'll probably see new iMacs in March that make use of the following CPUs:

Base model i3-2100 3.1GHz dual core with hyperthreading

Quad model i5-2500 3.3GHz quad core

BTO high end i7-2600 3.4GHz quad core with hyperthreading

I think Apple will follow their long established pattern of shipping last year's mid-range GPU in their high end iMacs and something much older in the base models.

I expect to see the same screen sizes and mirror like glossy screens carry over for another 9 month run. Apple didn't bother to use RGB LEDs or art gallery glass for their expensive 27" Cinema display so they certainly won't offer those options on the iMac.

When I win the lottery I'm going to get ahold of a bulk shipment of art gallery glass, get it cut into 21.5, 27 and possibly 24" sizes and sell it to long suffering Mac users.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Nobody complains about fingerprints on their iPads, so why would a desktop be different?

The real reason it won't be a touch screen is that nobody wants to sit and reaches out at the computer to access controls. Your arms would get tired and it'd be very awkward.

Who said that touching the screen would have to be the only way to interact with the computer? Couldn't you still connect a keyboard and mouse?

There are plenty of uses for a touchscreen iMac such as kiosks and point-of-sale terminals. People just need to be able to see past their own desks at home.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

I agree with this. Apple is pretty good at keeping their name in the news. I think keeping the refreshes of Macbook Pros and iMacs separate would maximize this effect.

Apple likes to release products such that each spends some time alone in the spotlight. This is probably more important right now with Steve's absence. By releasing products at separate events, there will be a sense of "business as usual" at Apple.

Not that I really think there was any chance that new iMacs would be released with MBPs anyway.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

And what of the Mac Mini. Surely Sandy Bridge will soon be found in that product considering it's basically using the same components as the laptops. And how long before the hard drive in that product goes solid state. I could easily imagine, also, a time when the Mini will be made minus the optical drive.

The end result would be an incredibly small desktop device.

My mac mini lives in the living room. If apple kills the optical then i will have to buy the Superdrive offered for the macbook air so that I can continue to watch netflix DVDs. My mini is quite aged so I expect the next revision will be the one I finally upgrade to.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikeysbistro View Post

What if it's a refresh of the MBPs and iMacs but with a touch screen. Now that would be news! Wouldn't it be a very interesting computing experience? Whether it happens or not, it would be a great idea to solidify Apple's current rise. And it would simplify Apple's offerings across the product line. Plus at that point they'd be hitting all their main markets with the same type of technology on the desktop, laptop, iPad & iPod market, with superior experience for the computer users. Here's to dreaming.

That wouls reqyre a significant OS change. Think 10.7 rather than 10.6.7. That would put an iMac launch sometime after Summer. Mbp are almost certain next week so i don't see touch interface on those for at least another year.

Also not sure how they would roll out touch interface on Macs since the OS would have to work on systems with and without it. For Mac pros that would require a new Apple monitor design as well.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Apple likes to release products such that each spends some time alone in the spotlight.

Perhaps product releases have been compressed together due to the Sandy Bridge affair.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sportytoes View Post

My mac mini lives in the living room. If apple kills the optical then i will have to buy the Superdrive offered for the macbook air so that I can continue to watch netflix DVDs. My mini is quite aged so I expect the next revision will be the one I finally upgrade to.

It makes sense, though, because it would lead to a smaller form factor and because the base unit's cost would be reduced. Such a small form factor could make the unit suited to assorted applications where space is tight.

The thing is though that the next update of the Mini probably will not be so radical since the most recent update served up last year was a major redesign. I would imagine that the next update will amount to a spec boost but no significant form factor alterations.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMac View Post

I happen to love the 27 iMac. Make 'em BIGGER!

30"? Yeah Baby!! I could go for that. I bought one of the last 24" models just before the 27" iMacs came out. My Apple care is good to May 2012 so I'll see what I'll do when that time comes., Who knows what Apple will have by then.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    i want a 23" or 24" imac, 27" is insanely big unless you watch movies etc on your mac, which i don't
  • Reply 51 of 57
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggsjm View Post

Ugh. Just bought a top of the line iMac. Core i7 2.93 with 8GB of Memory, 2 TB Hard Drive. No SSD.

Would have been nice to know last week when I ordered it.

If it's released with 14 days you can take it back and get the new model, can you not? I think they may have even scrapped the re-stocking fee, though I could be wrong.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggsjm View Post

Ugh. Just bought a top of the line iMac. Core i7 2.93 with 8GB of Memory, 2 TB Hard Drive. No SSD.

Would have been nice to know last week when I ordered it.

Surely, you can have the option to return the product when you receive it within the cooling off period, like 1-2 wks here in the UK. That is of course I'm reading that you ordered online and in non-customised unit. Then, order the new one once you have receive the refund.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post

A 24" i7-2600K sandybridge with anti-glare/matte screen please please please

I have been getting ready to buy my first iMac figuring out what to include. With a rumor of a hardware update and the Lion OS promised for mid-Summer, I might as well sit tight until they're done updating.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    I just wish that apple would simply begin including blue ray codecs and burners.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    I am Moving over from PC's and want a 27". I am waitting for the Sandy Bridge update. For I know once I do this move I am stuck with this computer for years. Apple Let's get this out already I have money for ya once you do!!! This waiting thing sucks. I am going to really miss ability to add internal hard drives but can deal with that! Plus with the new interface will make it easier to live with External Drives.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Yes be happy that you've got a computer that should last for years. People get all worked up over new chip speeds, but the days when adding 200MHz to your clock speed made a noticeable difference are long gone.

Not necessarily. I do allot of hard 3D renders and I've noticed sometimes a 100% increase in speed and a big noticeable difference in applications like Photoshop and DAW audio software. If it's just surfing the web or checking email, people would probably not notice any difference.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Airwolf View Post

Not necessarily. I do allot of hard 3D renders and I've noticed sometimes a 100% increase in speed and a big noticeable difference in applications like Photoshop and DAW audio software. If it's just surfing the web or checking email, people would probably not notice any difference.

My point was people getting hung up over a 200MHz increase in clock speed in an age when processors run at 15 times that speed.

I don't doubt that you've purchased new computers that offered 100% speed improvements in certain functions, but those are most likely the result of a jump of at least two generations of graphics processor.

Going from 3.0GHz to 3.2GHZ is an increase of only 6.67%

Are you really telling me that without a stopwatch you would notice a 6.67% difference in rendering time?

Didn't think so.