Report says dramatic, ambitious Final Cut Pro update coming in spring 2011

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple will release a "spectacular" update to its Final Cut Pro professional video editing application this spring, a new report claims.

As reported by TechCrunch, a long-overdue update to the software will represent ?the biggest overhaul to Final Cut Pro since the original version was created over 10 years ago? when it is released this spring. The Final Cut Suite saw its last major upgrade in July 2009 when Apple released Final Cut Pro 7.

According to people familiar with the matter, a "small group of video editors" visited the Apple campus to preview the new version of the software and provide "pro user feedback." Once source claimed the new release will include "low level architectural changes" as well as a "complete redesign of the user interface." The report also notes that the upgrade will most likely jump to 64-bit as well since users have been clamoring for it.

People who have previewed the unreleased software called the changes "dramatic and ambitious" with a pro-oriented focus, which should allay concerns that Apple had neglected Final Cut Pro in favor of its consumer video applications, namely iMovie.

The report's source claims that Apple plans to release the new product in spring 2011, possibly coinciding with the National Association of Broadcasters conference in April.

Last May, AppleInsider reported that Apple's Final Cut Studio suite was being retooled to better meet the needs of the company's mainstream base of prosumers and advanced home users. However, after Final Cut Pro users expressed concern over the prospect, Apple issued an official statement claiming that "the next version of Final Cut Pro will be awesome and [Apple's] pro customers are going to love it."

In September 2010, reports emerged that the next version of Final Cut Studio had been delayed until 2011 after Apple ran into some snags on the project. According to the report, differences of opinion between the teams working on Shake and Motion regarding an ideal unified interface for the suite "hamstrung" part of the project, causing several features to be deferred to a 2013 version of the software.

A "structural issue" also reportedly caused problems for Apple, especially since the company had reportedly diverted several key engineers to its iOS mobile operating system team.

Last month, reports surfaced that Apple plans to release the video production suite in March or early April of this year.

"Two versions are already running at beta level, one for Snow Leopard, and one for Lion," said one report. "Some new features will only be available on Lion's version, due to the changes made on QuickTime layer."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A "structural issue" also reportedly caused problems for Apple, especially since the company had reportedly diverted several key engineers to its iOS mobile operating system team.

It's nice to see some pro level projects (finally) get some attention, but it would be nice if they didn't have to play second fiddle to iOS needs (read: get enough talent for both).
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bayside View Post

It's nice to see some pro level projects (finally) get some attention [...] to iOS needs (read: get enough talent for both).

Nah, the idea of one engineer handling both pro and consumer version is so that the consumer can achieve what pro can do and in turn, the pro (users) can do their job with the simplest route. One person knowledge benefitting both markets. That's what Apple call 'engineering'
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Please don't be like iMovie please don't be like iMovie please don't be like iMovie please don't be like iMovie please don't be like iMovie please don't be like iMovie please don't be like iMovie
  • Reply 4 of 48
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

1) "low level architectural changes" as well as a "complete redesign of the user interface."

2) "dramatic and ambitious" with a pro-oriented focus

3) "the next version of Final Cut Pro will be awesome and [Apple's] pro customers are going to love it."

1) Like beautiful music to me. Finally.

2) Like an awesome freaking punk rock concert to me!

3) Like... the funniest official statement I ever heard. haha. Like, "Relax, it'll be awesome!" Very reassuring ;-)

Building up high hopes again for FCP, that I lost the day Apple Motion was released.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

Please don't be like iMovie please don't be like iMovie please don't be like iMovie please don't be like iMovie please don't be like iMovie please don't be like iMovie please don't be like iMovie

*likes*
  • Reply 6 of 48
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Just when I am looking to make the plunge to buy Final Cut Studio

I personally like the interface it has now. I am by no means a power user in Final Cut but I find it pretty intuitive. I also personally love Motion and find it to be pretty powerful (for my needs). The weakest leak in my opinion is Soundtrack Pro. While I love it, I just do not think it is powerful enough for the mainstream market. If Apple really want to compete with Avid, and Adobe is combine Logic Pro with Soundtrack Pro. Now that would give Adobe and Avid a run for their money!

Just my 2¢
  • Reply 7 of 48
    k.c.k.c. Posts: 60member
    Duh....

It's been obvious for how long now that Apple would come back and try to become the major player with FCP ?

Consumer market took priority and it made them buku bucks. Now back to the smaller segment.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

1) Like beautiful music to me. Finally.

2) Like an awesome freaking punk rock concert to me!

3) Like... the funniest official statement I ever heard. haha. Like, "Relax, it'll be awesome!" Very reassuring ;-)

Building up high hopes again for FCP, that I lost the day Apple Motion was released.

I use FCS for editing and experimentation -- mostly for, home movies and some experimentation for friends and my own amusement -- I definitely am not a professional, but sometimes need to go beyond iMovie.

I enjoy using Motion to add 3D effects to 2D images -- and find it to be quite powerful.

I especially like that, unlike FCP, it does real-time rendering.

What is it abut Motion that you dislike -- am I missing something?

TIA,

Dick
  • Reply 9 of 48
    this is the most exciting news yet! For me

Really been looking forward to this. FCS3 was not so great. If this new update for FCP is as amazing as ppl say it is then it will really strengthen Apple's place in the Pro Post production world as well as pro editor's confidence in Apple.

The thing that I wonder about is what will Apple do with DVD Studio Pro and will they deliver the old rumored Phenomenon (Shake replacement) or will Motion be the kill app
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:

People who have previewed the unreleased software called the changes "dramatic and ambitious" with a pro-oriented focus [...]

Surely said people understood that without full blu-ray integration, support for native DSLR H.264 files, and a vastly improved Motion, the only dramatic event will be the flood of users to Adobe. Or is that not bag-o'-hurt-ious enough for Herr Jobs?
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iEye View Post

Surely said people understood that without full blu-ray integration, support for native DSLR H.264 files, and a vastly improved Motion, the only dramatic event will be the flood of users to Adobe. Or is that not bag-o'-hurt-ious enough for Herr Jobs?

Current FCP runs pretty much all HD formats out there without much issues.

The current FCP runs great with 3th party hardware from AJA, Blackmagic and Matrox.

Lets hope they don't screw up. We don't need another interface. We need 64 bit support.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacYeah View Post

pretty much... without much issues...3th party hardware.

Either it is or it isn't. The current FCP isn't. Support of H.264 is a must, and FCP7 can't even begin to cope with that codec. Agreed on not needing a new interface.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    I certainaly agree that iMovie's interface is unworthy..

But even though FCP's interface is pretty much along the lines of "pro" edit tools stretching back to the mid 90's that has never made them -good- in my eyes.

The whole format of video editing interfaces are way cumbersome and jumbled in my opinion. I first edited on a Sony 900 ( i think that was the model) and I remember the first avid, matrox and premiere. Awful.

I would love to be amazed cause to draw a parallel they are still like windows ce compared to iOS. I'd go so far as to say I'd like to see a multi iPad front end, though don't get all irate thinking I'm saying dumbed down.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by K.C. View Post

Duh....

It's been obvious for how long now that Apple would come back and try to become the major player with FCP ?

Consumer market took priority and it made them buku bucks. Now back to the smaller segment.

I agree: Apple got diverted, but it was probably chasing iOS rather than iMovie that got their pro software off-track for the past 3 years or so.

Oh, and "buku"? Perhaps you meant "beaucoup"?
  • Reply 15 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

I agree: Apple got diverted, but it was probably chasing iOS rather than iMovie that got their pro software off-track for the past 3 years or so.

Oh, and "buku"? Perhaps you meant "beaucoup"?

As a user if FCPro from its first ever release I will be interested to see the interface changes. I just hope the learning curve isn't too dramatic I am getting too old to start over !

BTW Buku seems to be one of those 'new' word spellings based on the longer original \ :http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=buku
  • Reply 16 of 48
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iEye View Post

Either it is or it isn't. The current FCP isn't. Support of H.264 is a must, and FCP7 can't even begin to cope with that codec. Agreed on not needing a new interface.

Native H.264 support, not this conversion to ProRes stuff. Though ProRes does seem to work well enough, I recently picked up Adobe's Production Premium suite on an educational discount and I prefer being able to drag my AVCHD files right into the timeline. I haven't abandoned FCS completely however and eagerly await the next FCS update.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Comprehensive HDSLR and RED R3D support are a must. I don't care what interface changes there are as long as a) the whole JKL editing style remains and b) they succeed in allowing a super-smooth FCP-Motion-FCP-Color-FCP type workflow. Comprehensive hardware acceleration is also a must and its about time we saw the Shake derivative appear. iPhone/Touch/Pad control surface integration surely.

There'll be laughter, there'll be tears but it'll be exciting stuff.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

I love FCP as is so I'm excited and nervous about this update.

And, yep, I'm in the **PLEASE don't be like iMovie camp- for the love of fucking life!!!**

I would hope that Apple would know the difference between a "Pro app" and iMovie.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Been a long time comin'.

I'm also with the 'not like imovie' crowd. Please, not like imovie.

Also, native R3D support pretty please!
  • Reply 20 of 48
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by K.C. View Post

Duh....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Been a long time comin'.

I'm also with the 'not like imovie' crowd. Please, not like imovie.

Also, native R3D support pretty please!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I would hope that Apple would know the difference between a "Pro app" and iMovie.

Must be a lot of unsung brilliant creative people here. Amazing how many criticize a product that some of the great directors/studios/etc., are doing so well with it now.

Love to see all your Curriculum Vitae.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/in-action/