Turkish Justice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The Dutch government has reacted fiercely to the release of Hakan K. Hakan K, who was convicted to a life sentence for the rape of three Dutch tourists and the murder of one of them, has been released after 7 years in prison.

What to say about that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Can you provide us with a link or some additional information? Otherwise I'll reserve my rage.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    digixdigix Posts: 109member
    Has the laws that were used by the victim (and their families) was applied on him?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    If this guy was a kurd perhaps the situation will be different ...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    And the problem is what?

No modern judiciary system serves any kind of justice.

A man who raised his daughter after his wife died sexually abused her starting at age 3 until she was 15, and I mean abused. Every kind of sexual act you can think of, and she never told anyone because they would send her father to jail.

Her boyfriend figured that something was wrong when she flew into rages whenever he tried to hug her. Not kiss, not fondle, not attempt to make love to, just hug. He discreetly went to his brother police officer and asked, as a brother, why she would not want to be touched at all. She was peaceable enough in conversation and genuinely enjoyed this boy's company.

Based on his brother's adivce, the boy asked the girl questions over time and figured out that hher father touched her.

That single statement was enough to get the man arrested. He made a written statement and the police asked him to elaborate. He wrote 30 pages when the blue guys asked him to stop.

Since the girl had no idea when it had begun and had no dates of the abuses in a diary or something or physical evidence that she had been raped, other than the fact that she was not a virgin. The court thheerefore only pursued the most recent offense, which she remembered most clearly.

She could clearly remmeber many beffore but the lawyers did not ask.

The maximum penalty for a SINGLE instance of sex abuse 1 (where the victim is under 16 or was taken by force or both) is 30 years.

Incest is also a crime, but wasn't pursued. Also punishable by 30 years for a SINGLE instance.

In Connecticut, sodomy is not a crime, but if this were New Hampshire, that's anotherr 25 years for a SINGLE instance.

So for that SINGLE instance out of hundreds (the man cited that himself, didn't know the number) of times, he could have serrved. 85 years in prison.

He was found guilty of sex abuse 1 and charged with 5 years in prison and "rehabilitation" when he got out.

Godammit! He didn't even report being raped in prison!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    scott_h_phdscott_h_phd Posts: 448member
    In the US if you are convicted for murder and then it comes out that the evidence was obtained illegally then you very well could get out. It's a travesty of justice but peoples rights are that important.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by gobble gobble:

<strong>Can you provide us with a link or some additional information? Otherwise I'll reserve my rage.</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws/denhaag/1022993510312.html"; target="_blank">Volskrant about this case (dutch)</a>

I'm sorry I can't find an english story about it. Summary: Hakan K. has been convicted for raping and killing, together with two other men. A new amnesty-law had been adopted in Turkey, which does only apply for people that were convicted for 'light' crimes (sentences up to ten years). Hakan K. was convicted to imprisonment of more than 150 years, so the new amnesty-law did not apply to him. He has been released though. He's the son of a police-chief, which could play a role (could!). Today a Turkish judge will decide whether Hakan should be arrested once again or not. Diplomatic pressure by minister of foreign affairs, Van Aartsen is huge, so it seems...

To be continued...

Stefan
  • Reply 7 of 11
    macfenianmacfenian Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by Iemandkoffie?:

<strong>

<a href="http://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws/denhaag/1022993510312.html"; target="_blank">Volskrant about this case (dutch)</a>

I'm sorry I can't find an english story about it. Summary: Hakan K. has been convicted for raping and killing, together with two other men. A new amnesty-law had been adopted in Turkey, which does only apply for people that were convicted for 'light' crimes (sentences up to ten years). Hakan K. was convicted to imprisonment of more than 150 years, so the new amnesty-law did not apply to him. He has been released though. He's the son of a police-chief, which could play a role (could!). Today a Turkish judge will decide whether Hakan should be arrested once again or not. Diplomatic pressure by minister of foreign affairs, Van Aartsen is huge, so it seems...

To be continued...

Stefan</strong><hr></blockquote>

That just about sums it up alright. I haven´t been able to find any info in English either.

I´ll keep looking. CNN, BBC and NBC have nothing anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Small update: Prince Willem-Alexander and princess Maxima's planned visit to Turkey has been postponed. Before tomorrow morning the judge has to come to a convict.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    macfenianmacfenian Posts: 276member
    He was also arrested again yesterday.

It´s great to see the government finally stand up for itself and for it´s people for a change.

What I find saddening though is that this could have happened in the Netherlands itself.

Our judges and legal system tend to always think of the criminal, murderer or not, first and the victim or victim´s loved ones second.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    nostradamusnostradamus Posts: 397member
    Turkish justice is considered contorted by western standards?as are almost all middle eastern countries' policies.

An extreme example is portrayed in the 1978 movie Midnight Express based upon a true story. You can find it <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0767817486/qid=1023183845/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-8641346-5249629"; target="_blank">here.</a>
  • Reply 11 of 11
    finboyfinboy Posts: 383member
    Oh you BASTARD. You beat me to it! Damn.