Alleged MacBook Pro pictures reveal Apple's high-speed 'Thunderbolt' port

Comments

• Reply 21 of 151
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Ahh... so they will distinguish the MBP 13" from the Air by giving it a nice i5 and a lot more ports.

Is this Thunderbolt port even Light Peak at all, or are they just going to use mini-DP for peripherals as well now? Is mini-DP that flexible from the beginning?
  • Reply 22 of 151
    Where is this 2.33GHz Core-i5? I only see these:

Intel® CoreTMi5 processor Mobile (FCPGA10)

i5-2540M (3M cache, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 2.60 GHz 32nm) $266

i5-2520M (3M cache, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 2.50 GHz 32nm) $225

i5-580M (3M cache, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 2.66 GHz 32nm) $266

i5-560M (3M cache, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 2.66 GHz 32nm) $225

i5-540M (3M cache, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 2.53 GHz 32nm) $257

i5-520M (3M cache, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 2.40 GHz 32nm) $225

This could be a special chip for Apple, maybe with OpenCL, but I have my doubts. Also, why only the one CPU (at a low price for a 13” MBP) and a low capacity HDD. This might be the new entry level 13” Mac notebook with the premium ones finally removing the worthless optical drive and coming with dGPU.

I know some say that the 11” MBA will be the new entry level model, but that doesn’t make sense. Dropping the plastic MacBook for an aluminum MacBook (or MBP) as the entry level for $999 does make sense.

Update: MacRumors says it is legit and that it is the entry level model as I suspected. Since it’s not thinner that makes sense. It also gives me hope of a thinner, lighter MBP with longer battery life from the removable of the optical drive.
  • Reply 23 of 151
    Someone stole Apples Thunder eh
  • Reply 24 of 151
    I wonder how the Intel graphics will perform? Should be interesting...
  • Reply 25 of 151
    I have always been a fan of windows, but recently I have decided to go to "the other side " and buy a MacBook Pro. However, I will be buying it with all my savings, and as that is a big financial effort, I really want high value-for-money.

I will be buying the 15".

If there isn't a redesign (or at least liquidmetal), if the thunderbolt port isn't compatible with other types of ports (usb 3.0 and its precedents), if the discrete graphics card isn't upgraded, and if there is no OSX-dedicated SSD, I believe that the upgrade isn't worth it.

Really disappointed, hope this is fake and Apple surprises us with real goodies

Otherwise... I will have to remain windows-attached for the next 4/5 years..
  • Reply 26 of 151
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

At least the GPU is HD3000, which is decent for a non gaming PC. I was scare they used HD2000 which is very bad.

From the wikipedia Sandy Bridge entry (and confirmed in a multitude of other places):

All mobile processors use Intel's Graphics sub-system HD 3000 (12 EUs).
  • Reply 27 of 151
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

These pictures are obviously fake, just look at the size and weight of the thing, they are the same as the current model up to the mm and up to 10 grams. Which would mean not only the case would be completely unchanged but also that any component that weighs over 10 grams would be exactly the same, or magically add up to exactly 2.04 kilograms again.

Also, I'm not buying that the new MBP's would only have the Sandy Bridge IGP and no seperate GPU, because that would mean they have weaker graphics than the current MacBook Air. Not going to happen.

disregard my comment
  • Reply 28 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Perhaps that's Intel's announcement - some new Sandy Bridge variants, and not Light Peak at all.
  • Reply 29 of 151
    what I see is the curent macbook where de symbol for the miniDisplay port has just been changed. True picture or easy photoshop ?
  • Reply 30 of 151
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And can you imagine 10Gbps iOS device transfers? Takes away the complaining about no wireless syncing, that's for sure.

Why? The issue with having no wireless sync is one of convenience, and has nothing to do with speed.
  • Reply 31 of 151
    Quote:

Intel® CoreTMi5 processor Mobile (FCPGA10)

i5-2540M (3M cache, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 2.60 GHz 32nm) $266

i5-2520M (3M cache, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 2.50 GHz 32nm) $225

i5-580M (3M cache, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 2.66 GHz 32nm) $266

i5-560M (3M cache, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 2.66 GHz 32nm) $225

i5-540M (3M cache, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 2.53 GHz 32nm) $257

i5-520M (3M cache, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 2.40 GHz 32nm) $225

This could be a special chip for Apple, maybe with OpenCL, but I have my doubts. Also, why only the one CPU (at a low price for a 13? MBP) and a low capacity HDD. This might be the new entry level 13? Mac notebook with the premium ones finally removing the worthless optical drive and coming with dGPU.

I know some say that the 11? MBA will be the new entry level model, but that doesn?t make sense. Dropping the plastic MacBook for an aluminum MacBook (or MBP) as the entry level for $999 does make sense.

Update: MacRumors says it is legit and that it is the entry level model as I suspected. Since it?s not thinner that makes sense. It also gives me hope of a thinner, lighter MBP with longer battery life from the removable of the optical drive.

The 2.33 Ghz Sandy Brigde is the Core i5 2410M
  • Reply 32 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jgaf View Post

I have always been a fan of windows, but recently I have decided to go to "the other side " and buy a MacBook Pro. However, I will be buying it with all my savings, and as that is a big financial effort, I really want high value-for-money.

I will be buying the 15".

If there isn't a redesign (or at least liquidmetal), if the thunderbolt port isn't compatible with other types of ports (usb 3.0 and its precedents), if the discrete graphics card isn't upgraded, and if there is no OSX-dedicated SSD, I believe that the upgrade isn't worth it.

Really disappointed, hope this is fake and Apple surprises us with real goodies

Otherwise... I will have to remain windows-attached for the next 4/5 years..

Cue the violins.

Can't wait to see the whining levels after the event.
  • Reply 33 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Why? The issue with having no wireless sync is one of convenience

It's convenient to wait longer than it would for a wired transfer?

Quote:

has nothing to do with speed.

That's for sure.
  • Reply 34 of 151
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Core i5 2410M is listed as 2.3GHz. That's probably actually 2.33.

EDIT:Beaten by icebiker

Quote:

I know some say that the 11” MBA will be the new entry level model, but that doesn’t make sense. Dropping the plastic MacBook for an aluminum MacBook (or MBP) as the entry level for $999 does make sense.

I've been saying for awhile now that I think they will drop the white plastic MacBook and then let people be covered by the iPad and MBA as their entry point with Apple. There will still be a low end option for the MBP that is in the same price range as one of the 13" MBAs, but that isn't a problem I don't think. We'll find out tomorrow, in theory
  • Reply 35 of 151
    • Sandy Bridge processors

• Light Peak Technology.....or Thunderbolt

• New SSD OS drive

• Possible Liquid Metal body

• Thinner and lighter

• EOL for the white MacBook

Wouldn't Apple hold some sort of media event to introduce all these new changes to the line up? I can't see this many changes being done with just a silent refresh. Don't get me wrong the changes would make for an awesome new laptop but usually with this kind of refresh there is more of a show and tell presentation by Apple.

What do you folks think?
  • Reply 36 of 151
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by henrikmk View Post

The original text was German, so it's probably Eingang/Ausgang.

Ah, so E/A == I/O
  • Reply 37 of 151
    I find it unusual that the weight of the new 13-inch Macbook Pro of 2.04kg (4.5 pounds) is the exact same weight of the current model. I thought there was to be a slight weight reduction with the new models of about 1/2 pound. Anyway I think it's rather unusual that with some serious component changing going on inside, the new model would end up the exact same weight as the old. So does this morsel of proposed truth question the veracity of the overall claim?
  • Reply 38 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pipser View Post

What do you folks think?

I think it will just be a press release from Phil Schiller. And we will get some of those other things on the higher end models.
  • Reply 39 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

ADC and FireWire come to mind. I mean real FireWire, not the pansy 4-pin 400 ports you see on PCs, I mean real 6-pin 400 ports; the ports that would have made it a USB-killer.

This is, of course, providing that ThunderBolt isn't "standard" LightPeak, which given Apple's involvement in the creation of the spec seems unlikely.

Firewire (yeah the real one) has made inroads in most camera applications for pros, so task accomplished for apple, no need to make on every pc as well, why should apple care?). Firewire was established where it should have been, and the stupid, unavoidable, and less advanced usb is used for the rest since it's a standard.
  • Reply 40 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1reflectsathome View Post

I find it unusual that the weight of the new 13-inch Macbook Pro of 2.04kg (4.5 pounds) is the exact same weight of the current model. I thought there was to be a slight weight reduction with the new models of about 1/2 pound. Anyway I think it's rather unusual that with some serious component changing going on inside, the new model would end up the exact same weight as the old. So does this morsel of proposed truth question the veracity of the overall claim?

It?s not unusual when you consider the image looks just like the previous model in thickness and design, that this also contains an optical drive, and that it?s the entry level 13? notebook.