Apple sends out invites for iPad 2 media event on March 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 173
    They finish pulling away the cover and it is really a new touch screen MacBook running Lion. ;-)
  • Reply 22 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has waited longer into the year in 2011 to announce its next iPad. The first-generation device was revealed in late January of 2010, though the Wi-Fi-only model didn't ship in the U.S. until April.

I think the principal reason for the 2+ month lag in 2010 was to get developers ready for the release of the iPad. Without an ipad announcement and an sdk, there would have been no iPad-ready apps when iPad was first available.

iPad 2 is a different story. There is no need (we know of) for developers to have extended preparation time. On the other hand, a long interval between announcement and availability would freeze sales. Here's hoping that the iPad 2 is available soon after March 2.
  • Reply 23 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

They finish pulling away the cover and it is really a new touch screen MacBook. ;-)

So... an iPad. We already have that. Next.
  • Reply 24 of 173
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Got to figure out what will my current 3G iPad market value be next month!
  • Reply 25 of 173
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    A good anti-reflective surface would be interesting. I mean something that changes the surface index of refraction, not add an undesirable surface texture. Fixing Safari's cashing issue in iOS5 would be helpful too.
  • Reply 26 of 173
    The announcement graphic is a little weird ? doesn't the screen look extremely reflective? Maybe we're getting a MORE reflective screen?
  • Reply 27 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

"Come See What 2011 Will Be The Year Of" implies a lot more will be hyped than just iPad 2. after all, it will be the year of iPhone 5 and OS X Lion too, and whatever else Apple has up its sleeve. so hope to hear about a lot of stuff!

btw, that is a terribly written phrase.

and ... here comes the media frenzy. with that open-ended come-on, the Apple guessing game may hit an all time high.

Are you saying the phrase is grammatically incorrect, or that it just sounds bad? I agree they could have chosen their words more thoughtfully, but I believe it is technically correct.

Of course, I will freely admit it has been a few years since my last English class.
  • Reply 28 of 173
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Well, iPhone OS 2.0 and 3.0 were announced in March and iOS 4 in April. If the next iPhone is going to be released in Jun then three months is needed by developers to test their apps.

If...
  • Reply 29 of 173
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kube View Post

The announcement graphic is a little weird ? doesn't the screen look extremely reflective? Maybe we're getting a MORE reflective screen?

Here we go. You guys would read into shit on a string.
  • Reply 30 of 173
    wow .... ebay here comes my ipad 1st gen
  • Reply 30 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Here we go. You guys would read into shit on a string.

\ <= that's contemplative

What KIND of string...?
  • Reply 32 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nunyabinez View Post

Based on the rumors, I think I'll be passing on this model. Camera is a meh for me and I seem to be strong enough to hold my current one. But they may have something up their sleeve, so I'll wait till next week to make my decision.

Why do people feel compelled to explain their purchasing decisions? Who cares if you buy it or not? Not trying to flame you dude but really, who cares? Don't buy it. More for those that will.
  • Reply 33 of 173
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Are you saying the phrase is grammatically incorrect, or that it just sounds bad? I agree they could have chosen their words more thoughtfully, but I believe it is technically correct.

Of course, I will freely admit it has been a few years since my last English class.

a basic rule of good composition is do not end a sentence with the word "of." that's why it even sounds clumsy. even a headline writer would not do it. better to at least put "year of" in quotes, or perhaps best, end the phrase with 3 dots (...) instead of a period.

but ... this is hype. so all that matters is whether it works to incite media interest. and it certainly will.
  • Reply 34 of 173
    Interesting to see how things have shifted in the Apple world..

It used to be that a Mac related update would cause a flood of posts and discussions.. Nowadays, it's a passing mention that "A MBP update is expected sometime this week with an announcement from Intel regarding LightPeak"

Meanwhile, IN RED BREAKING NEWS across the homepage "iPAD 2" SPECIAL EVENT!!! IT's getting a FRONT FACING CAMERA!!!!

• Reply 35 of 173
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Looks like we're about to become a 2 iPad household.

Despite the attempts by some to portray iPad as a 'community device', without multiple logins, it really is a one-per-user tool.

Under the assumption that iPad 2 will be lighter and have front-facing camera, it will become my wife's, and when I upgrade to iPad 3, iPad 1 will go to the daughter.

At which point I'll never see my family's faces again other than on FaceTime.
  • Reply 36 of 173
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iOS 5 will be previewed in April or May.

I disagree. They are saying "come see what 2011 will be the year of". Lots of iPhone sales and a demo of what's next for the iOS, think about it. They wouldn't say that for just a revamped iPad but also the operating system that will eventually be on it.
  • Reply 37 of 173
    Quote:

"Come See What 2011 Will Be The Year Of" implies a lot more will be hyped than just iPad 2. after all, it will be the year of iPhone 5 and OS X Lion too, and whatever else Apple has up its sleeve. so hope to hear about a lot of stuff!

and ... here comes the media frenzy. with that open-ended come-on, the Apple guessing game may hit an all time high.

Actually, it's perfectly written. It would be awkward if it weren't a rebuttal to Google's earlier claim. But it packs a punch and gets its message across effectively. One could argue the old "never end with a preposition" saw, but that has been largely discredited. Furthermore, even the most pedantic grammar teachers argue that you can violate any rule if you have a good reason to do so.

And finally, this is the "Think Different" company. That worked out pretty well.
  • Reply 38 of 173
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

"Come See What 2011 Will Be The Year Of" ...

Nah... its just a different proposition with a creatively dangled preposition.
  • Reply 39 of 173
    Quote:

a basic rule of good composition is do not end a sentence with the word "of." that's why it even sounds clumsy. even a headline writer would not do it. better to at least put "year of" in quotes, or perhaps best, end the phrase with 3 dots (...) instead of a period.

but ... this is hype. so all that matters is whether it works to incite media interest. and it certainly will.

yes, it's frowned upon to end sentences with prepositions. but the correct alternative here is "Come See of What 2011 Will be the Year". if you thought apple's wording was awkward...
  • Reply 40 of 173
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RandomAnonymousBlackmail View Post

Will it cost me 30% of my salary to attend?

Why? Did they invite you? Otherwise, don't worry about it. Press events are free.